The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125024 - 02/24/08 05:07 AM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: Art_in_FL]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Another vote here for the Sanyo "eneloop" low-discharge NiMH rechargeable batteries. Costco has been selling a pack with 8xAA, 4xAAA, C & D dummy cells, and a charger for about $25.

I've been really impressed with them and have been using them in my GPS and an old PDA with great results. Battery life seems to go on forever.

http://www.eneloopusa.com/

The downside? Now there are a lot of the Costco brand AA alkaline cells sitting on my shelf gathering dust. grin

#125027 - 02/24/08 05:25 AM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: cedfire]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I buy the cheapest Alkaline's I can find in bulk like the Kirkland. A big batch lasts a long time because I primarily use NiMH rechargables and save the Alkalines for backups. I just started using the Rayovac Hybrids to replace some of my older Energizers and so far they're the best and cheapest NiMH batteries I've used.

#125028 - 02/24/08 06:52 AM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: Art_in_FL]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My experiences appear to be different than some others. I have had many Duracells that were dead out of the package (even though well within the expiration date). Other Duracells died a very premature death after very little use. And I've had Energizers leak. Several of them.

After experiencing these headaches I went over to Candle Power Forums (the flashlight place) and researched alkaline battery choices. At that time many people were recommending the Rayovacs. That's the only brand I've been buying since (for many years now). Never had one leak, never had one go dead prematurely. And they're a lot cheaper than Duracells or Energizers.

Based on my experiences, I would recommend Rayovacs over Duracells or Energizers any day. Just the exact opposite of what some others have said here. Weird.

#125029 - 02/24/08 07:30 AM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: JohnN]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
I use duracell and sometimes kirkland.
FYI It seems that the kirkland battery's are fractionaly larger in diameter when used in a minimag light, always had trouble removing the AA's from my minimag so I stopped using kirkland in them.

#125032 - 02/24/08 10:04 AM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: frediver]
LED Offline
Veteran

Duracell coppertop and Rayovac alkaline. I guess it also depends on what you need. Most of my lights don't use much juice so just about any alkaline works okay. For high draw or cold weather its usually lithium primaries.

#125039 - 02/24/08 01:14 PM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: Art_in_FL]
figtree
Unregistered

Duracell .......ill back up there rechargeables! They really hold up well.

I do use rayovac for some cheap run of the mill purposes. I havent ever had leaks, but im not using them long term nor for critical usage purposes.

I'll give my top choices

-duracell rechargeable....for the price and availability (can pick them up most places), i like them.
-energizer.........i use the lithiums
-general batteries i prefer duracells, -never had issues with them and as goofy as it may sound, I HATE THE BUNNY COMMERCIALS
-rayovac-great for kids toys (cheap$)

#125058 - 02/24/08 03:17 PM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: ]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
Duracell procell is the only alkaline battery i use now and have never had one leak or doa.

for just about everything i have ditched alkaline batteries and use eneloops or instant nimh rechargables.

#125183 - 02/25/08 12:53 PM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: Jackal]
dd61999 Offline
Stranger

Rather than focus on what type of Battery.

I like to focus on what Type Of Equipment.

For Example the Arc Flashlight was designed to maximize battery life, especially dead or very poor quality ones.

Here is a movie of a dead battery that only comes on for a half a second in a regular flashlight, but is plenty bright in the arc.

http://www.arcflashlight.com/media/Arcvsmag.wmv

Edited by dd61999 (02/25/08 01:00 PM)

#125273 - 02/26/08 12:02 AM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: dd61999]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dd61999
Rather than focus on what type of Battery.

I like to focus on what Type Of Equipment.

With all due respect the thread is about batteries. I would like to keep it that way.

I have to note the difference between good equipment performance and outright equipment failure is often the batteries used. Over the years I have lost several hundred dollars worth of equipment to battery leakage.

A leaking battery might fell your Arc. So beware of trying to make due with drained batteries that are much more prone to leaking. Even if they will power your light you may end up destroying it at the same time. You might kit your $25 light while attempting to save $.50 on a fresh battery. You could end up a penny wise and a pound foolish.

If you wish to discuss equipment, outside of the types and brands of batteries used, your more than welcome to start your own thread.

#125291 - 02/26/08 01:53 AM Re: Alkaline cell brands - Good/Bad [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

With all due respect the thread is about batteries. I would like to keep it that way.

I have to note the difference between good equipment performance and outright equipment failure is often the batteries used. Over the years I have lost several hundred dollars worth of equipment to battery leakage.

Thats why I've become very picky about batteries and chargers, I want mine to last a long time just in case I do have to rely on them for one reason or another.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.