The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#125669 - 02/28/08 11:20 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: Joseph13]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
thanks joe. I will give this one a look. My only hate is the black finish. I like the one without it better but like any piece of kit there must be some compromise involved. I may get the cheeper kukri machete like my buddy has and try my best to destroy it some weekend. If it holds up I may consider one with better steel.

Quote:
a 4-5 inch fixed blade knife should allow you to do all the stuff you listed in the pros and cons.

I know. I just want to do it easier. I will always have my cqd mk iv and my cold steel black sable on me at all times. I never intended the kukri to be my only knive. in a pinch, you wont even need a knife to build a shelter. that would suck, but I know I can do it if I had to. That being said, this is called EQUIPT TO SURVIVE so I would much rather carry better gear to achieve those ends than to do without.

#125676 - 02/28/08 11:30 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Jerry Busse is coming out with a INFI kukri down the road soon, it's been the talk over at Blade forum lately with a lot of people wanting one. If you were to buy one and want a super strong one then I would recommend one of his.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536503

One of the mock up pictures that helped started the request.

#125679 - 02/28/08 11:36 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: falcon5000]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

I dont care how much it costs. I will have one of these........................

this looks like one hell of a blade. survival use or not I am also a collector.

#125690 - 02/29/08 12:42 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Well if your interested in one of these knives, you have to monitor this forum and he posts the knives he is saleing a few days before and they usually go quickly once he gives the go go go statement. It's a screwed up way to sell things but he has some of the finest quality of knives available. It's a strange process to get one but worth it when you do.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=713

Some of his current knives are here The Busse series is the toughest:
http://bussecombat.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BCKC&Category_Code=KNF
http://bussecompanystore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
http://shop.scrapyardknives.com/main.sc
http://www.shop.ratknives.com/main.sc

#125706 - 02/29/08 01:37 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I tried...wine once.. OMG that stuff is terrible..."

Pretty much my thought about ALL wine...

#125717 - 02/29/08 02:43 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Greetings, bigmothertrucker, from a fellow Canuck.

I note from your posts that diplomacy is not your strong suit. It is generally good form to listen before you speak, especially in a forum that brings expertise and experience from a remarkably diverse group of people.

People with nothing to prove speak quietly and thoughtfully, without bluster or boast. They know more than you and I, but have the courtesy to guide the discussion forward instead of shutting it down. I think you will find a great many quiet-spoken and thoughtful people here.

I honestly hope that you will take these suggestions to heart.

Submitted with all humility and respect,
Doug

#125738 - 02/29/08 04:26 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: dougwalkabout]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
Greetings, bigmothertrucker, from a fellow Canuck.
Same to you my friend.

Quote:
I note from your posts that diplomacy is not your strong suit.
true, but in which regard on this forum ? give an example.

Quote:
They know more than you and I,
No, actually I dont think anyone here knows MORE than you or I. They know different things than you or I. I know Army stuff, I lack in other areas. some other guy canoes, another climbs mountains and so on.

Quote:
have the courtesy to guide the discussion forward instead of shutting it down.
explain

Quote:
I think you will find a great many quiet-spoken and thoughtful people here.
this is true, but you will also find a number of people who hide in the shadows. I boast nothing here that I havent done or that I feel I cannot do. I make no attempt to hide my job or what I do, or where I am from. Believe it or not, I feel no need to impress a bunch of people over the internet that I dont know, and will never likely meet.

Quote:
I honestly hope that you will take these suggestions to heart.
I may, as soon as I know what you are refering to.

Quote:
Submitted with all humility and respect,

same here. K Madore

#125742 - 02/29/08 07:16 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
JRJ Offline

Quote:

.hatchet has less chance of breaking
Ive been put in a horrible situation where the only cutting utensil I had that COULD be used for battoning was a keyhole saw. I messed up the spine and the saw was slightly bent but it didn't break. That is the closest I have ever come to breaking a blade in real world use, in my life. This shouldnt be a point.

.kukri can dig. not like a E -tool, but it can dig.
a hatchet can dig... so can a stone, stick and hand, a shovel works even better... This isn't a point that matters.

.hatchet is heavier, but kukri chops almost as good for half the cost in weight.
a hatchet was designed to chop and use the weight of the head instead of energy and force from the person operating it. That is half the reason it is efficient at chopping.

.easier to replace hatchet handle if broken
Replacing broken handles on an axe/hatchet correctly is a pain in the ass, in the field without correct tools would be dangerous to use. Ive replaced heads but never in the field and I think I would pass until I got home. This shouldnt be a point.

.easier to resharpen the kukri
There is a lot more real estate on the kukri and I resharpen and keep a razor edge on my axes with ease and small downtime. This shouldnt be a point

.easier to carry the kukri
I strap my axe to my pack and forget it is there. This shouldn't be a point.

.safer to use the kukri
safer to use the axe. This shouldn't be a point.

.kukri can be lashed to a stick to have a longer reach for cutting through thorn bushes, over head stuff etc
Why would you do that? If I couldn't walk around a bunch of thorn bushes I would use some long saplings to lay on the ground and bend the thorns down to walk over them, Or I would create a POLEAXE by lashing my hatchet/axe to a stick.

.kukri can be used to stir up coals in a fire etc due to its length
A poker stick fashioned out of a wood to whatever length and thickness I wanted would be used before I EVER put my blades in fire. This shouldn't be a point.

.by using a wood club a kukri can be used to make splits safer than with a hatchet, an just as easy
? This shouldnt be a point

.kukri can cut weeds, grass, brush etc where a hatchet is totally unsuitable. it can still be used to cut respectible sized wood.
a hatchet is not made to cut grass...... Most folks who would need to cut through vegetation will without argument almost always use a machete

. kukri can stab and chop and smash where an axe can only chop and smash
I guess I could stab a monster in the head with the corner of my axe/hatchet blade, instead of chopping its head off....

. hatchet makes a better hammer, bar none
a hatchet is made to hammer soft malleable objects like tent stakes

. kukri usually costs more, sometimes considerably more.

.as he tells me, the kukri can hold two edges. super sharp at the bottom, straight part and a working,chopping edge on the round curved part. this aparently gives you a lot of flexibility with more detailed tasks. like strippin bark or making wood shavings for tinder. a kukri is also much easier to use for cutting ropes or cloth in this way

If your blade isn't sharp it is not doing what it is supposed to do... I have used my FELLING AXE to make tinder and it shaves nearly as efficient as a razor.

I would argue that a quality hatchet/axe is more efficient at chopping than a kukri. I would also argue that an hatchet/axe has a shorter blade and would be faster to sharpen. I would also argue that a hatchet/axe would be easier to use as a basic hammer compared to the kukri as long as care was taken not to damage the eye. Lastly, I would argue that tools are made to make certain tasks easier, efficient and both tools work great for their intended use.

I think a hatchet is better suited as a tool and that a kukri would be better used as a weapon.

I carry a small axe, 24" bow saw and a 4.5" full tanged knife with me when I am camping. I would carry more then the 2.5lbs it weighed for the efficiency these 3 tools give me.

-JRJ

#125749 - 02/29/08 09:44 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: JRJ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Which axe, saw, and knife?

Thanks.

#125763 - 02/29/08 01:31 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: falcon5000]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Nice idea, but I won't hold my breath. I've been waiting for JB to put out a folder for how many years now?

I have more than a few of his knives, and all were worth the money he got for them. He made probably one of the best production/utility grade katanas ever to hit the market and I am glad I got one.

I don't see a huge advantage to the Khukri over his larger battle mistress designs. The FBM I currently prefer does a rather nice job on limbs and splitting as is, I can't imagine putting a cant in the blade is going to improve it's function that much, but I reckon time will tell. I suppose once I actually see it on the website my addiction will kick up and I'll have to drop more coin in his pocket. Otherwise I would have no real need for a khukri with what I already have.

If I need to cut down trees, I use a saw. Axes, khukris and knives take too long and too much effort. Besides, that portable chain saw fits in a tin about the size of a shoe polish can and weighs maybe 1/4 lb. I would much rather tote that in my pack along with a hatchet or khukri than an axe for the places I go.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.