Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#123928 - 02/15/08 02:03 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Dan_McI]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
My Dad always said "A Gentleman always has a pocket knife"

When HE went to school, you were expected to carry a pen knife - they actually still taught you to sharpen a quill!! (1920s in NYC!)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#123929 - 02/15/08 02:05 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Dan_McI]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I keep a Vic Classic in my change purse for public viewing -- pen knife blade, scissors and it looks innocent. It's fairly acceptable, much more so that the RSK Mk 1 I whipped out once to open a carton while in line at the grocery store. Lady behind me didn't say a thing, but she did switch lines.

#123930 - 02/15/08 02:10 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Dan_McI]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Yup, sure is a sad state of affairs these days. I personally don't mind whipping it out in public, but then I gotta deal with the misses hissing "put that away" in my ear. Its why I make sure I carry my swisschamp all the time now. People are a lot less spooked by the (somewhat) familar red handle SAK. So I just take the few extra seconds to remove from the pouch and just leave the buck/strider clipped to my pocket. Keep the "average" joe/jane from having a heart attack, keeps my wife from having a hissy fit, makes my life a little less complicated.

-Bill Liptak

#123933 - 02/15/08 02:36 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Art_in_FL]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
IMHO some of this comes from the was the modern society has changed in the last 50 years.

Likewise, I think this has much to do with it. These days (here in the U.S.) we're seeing increasingly frequent acts of violence. Just this past week: two college campuses and the regrettable incident with the psychologist. It seems to me the general public has two stages of "alertness" to their surroundings: completely oblivious, or hyper-alert, with no in between. It's the latter that I think makes many folks edgy when they see displayed what they perceive to be a weapon of some sort.

Recently, I had just returned from an outing, and still had my black-scaled SAK OHT in my pocket. A box with the super-tough strapping tape needed to be opened, so I was going to use the OHT. A couple of folks visibly shrunk back when I retrieved it from my pocket, thanks I suppose to its slightly larger size and the unfamiliar (vs. the trademark red) color. Someone spotted the SAK red/white cross logo, and says, "Oh, is that a Swiss Army knife?" — then all was well.

Edit: Bill ... your post while I was typing — echoes some of what I said regarding the SAK.

#123936 - 02/15/08 02:43 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: BillLiptak]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Bill and Others,

I agree with you that the Swiss Army Knife is the best "low profile in public" knife and I usually carry a Vic Farmer when I am in a suit/tie. The problem is that I have not been able to find a red coloured one in Canada, the silver Alox Farmer is not as easily identified as a SAK and therefore still draws some unwanted attention.

Mike

#123938 - 02/15/08 02:51 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Russ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, my little classic is the first thing that comes out for the wife or female co-workers. I reserve the Wave for myself and those I know can handle it. The wife is a dedicated Klutz when it comes to knives, and I don't want her cutting on anything more than what the lil classic can handle. That's also why I do all the butchering work at home too. I let her cut bread and occasionally smaller veggies, but I do the winter squash and melons.

Sometimes I get these pitiful, almost sobbing looks from guys when I have to break out the lil classic for these women.

Other times, I get looks of admiration and gratitude from my buddies when the daughters hand me one of their full size leathermans and tell me to be careful cuz they just sharpened them.

#123986 - 02/15/08 10:03 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...when the daughters hand me one of their full size leathermans and tell me to be careful cuz they just sharpened them."

Love that!

Sue

#123999 - 02/15/08 11:48 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
This thread got me thinking (a dangerous thing at times) and I replaced the Vic Pioneer (silver alox) that was in my Mission Wallet with a Vic Spartan (red plastic). I do believe that will be my go-to knife in public -- it's just a Swiss Army Knife.

In the process I got a small blade, tweezers, toothpick and corkscrew; I saved all of 10 grams. I don't get the strength of the aluminum sides, but in that knife it isn't critical. The Pioneer goes to the bullpen while I think about where it would be most useful to be stashed.

#124011 - 02/16/08 01:47 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In my current work environment, I am apparently the only person in an office of about 60 carrying a multitool regularly (original model Wave). I am the go to guy when a screwdriver or pliers is needed and that is just fine with me. Although the Leatherman is big and bulky, it doesn't seem to be threatening at all. It must be the pliers - it just doesn't look like something Freddy Kruger would carry.

#124020 - 02/16/08 03:30 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I just can;t help myself. I'd have been tempted to unsheath a full-size Canadian Camp knife just to still their already fluttering hearts. Like my Dad used to say "You want something to cry about?"

"Here nice lady. Let's get that plastic wrap off there in record time. There's no sense pussyfooting around with some wrapping."

Edited by Stretch (02/16/08 03:36 AM)

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.