The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#125667 - 02/28/08 11:19 PM Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I had ordered some more Celox from http://www.bydezignproducts.com/
and they had a Blizzard Survival Blanket on the site so I ordered one to see if it was any good. It had been approved by the military and had a NSN 6532-01-524-6932 with it. When I got it, it came in a vacuum sealed bag and was the size of a VCR tape.This was all good indeed, a little big but doable. I then wanted to inspect it to see if it was worth all the hype. I very carefully opened the vacuum sealed bag and gently unfolded it. I was extremely disappointed with it, it's extremely fragile, very noisy and rips extremely easy. It had 3 ripped holes when I opened it and I oppened it up very gently. I understand they go with thinner materials for space and weight but they should be selling these for a dollar and one time use. It didn't keep me even a little bit warm outside in 40 degree weather (for testing). It is very loud and rips internally extremely easy and for the size and weight and functionality I prefer a military poncho any day. This piece of garbage is now in my vehicle truck as something. I guess I can use it as a big signal since it's silver and as a blanket if I have nothing else. All in all I say save your money and get a military poncho or fleece or something but not this piece of garbage.

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard_survival_bag

#125675 - 02/28/08 11:28 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Quote:
It had been approved by the military

ha. there was the first problem.

#125677 - 02/28/08 11:33 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Thanks Falcon.

Always good to hear some real persons experience with a product. When I checked that out it seemed just as chincy as the regular space blankets.

Blitz

#125681 - 02/28/08 11:43 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Blitz]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

No problem, this was a try at to see if they have improved the space blanket ideas and they spent more money on Hype than product. Definitely a no go on this one. Save your $30, a trash bag with grass shoved in it would be 1000% better than this thing.

#125691 - 02/29/08 12:46 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I can’t remember who made it as I’ve had it for 15 or 20-years and the package is long gone. But I purchased a heavier space blanket from a gun shop for $20.00, one side is red the other side silver. It has a rolled and sewed edge with grommets all around the edges. It has rip-stop fibers built into it. It folds up to the size of about 3 VCR tapes. I know it’s kinda big, but it’s been with me for a long time and is still in good shape. For the most part I hate buying throw away items like those $1.00 space blankets.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#125722 - 02/29/08 03:23 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've almost ordered one of these several times. Thanks for the dose of truth Falcon.

#125737 - 02/29/08 04:23 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: BobS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: BobS
But I purchased a heavier space blanket from a gun shop for $20.00, one side is red the other side silver.

That sounds like a regular "Space Blanket" not the "Emergency Space Blanket". I have one too. For short simple dayhikes I carry a HeatSheets emergency blanket, but for longer or more treacherous hikes I carry a regular Space Blanket as my emergency shelter option.

I folded it lengthwise and duct-taped two of the edges (full lengthwise) to make it into an inexpensive bivy. I can always peel the tape off and make it a full sized blanket again if need be - and I have the duct tape available for other uses as a bonus. I folded it as small as I could and then wrapped it with paracord (75 feet or so) to keep it compacted tightly - this also provides a neat way to store lots of cord.

#125745 - 02/29/08 08:28 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: haertig]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
It was horrifying to see in 'Survivorman' that the survival kit in his inflatable dinghy was an unsealed plastic bag with a flare that started getting hot immediately and items missing. Trouble is unless you put it together yourself how do you know a sealed (or sealed in your dinghy, BOB kit is ok?
Maybe I answered my own question with 'unless you put it together yourself'. If you can repack a dinghy.
The Sock

#125775 - 02/29/08 02:13 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: BobS]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I've got two of these but I have always called the casualty blankets. One of them is about 10 years old and still in fairly good condition considering some of the abuse it's had. the only difference is mine are OD green on the back.

#125779 - 02/29/08 02:26 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: TheSock]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: TheSock
It was horrifying to see in 'Survivorman' that the survival kit in his inflatable dinghy was an unsealed plastic bag with a flare that started getting hot immediately and items missing. Trouble is unless you put it together yourself how do you know a sealed (or sealed in your dinghy, BOB kit is ok?
Maybe I answered my own question with 'unless you put it together yourself'. If you can repack a dinghy.
The Sock

I don't think you can repack one of the inflatable rafts on your own. It's my understanding that repacks are normally carried out by certified companies. I know the USCG certfies companies to do repacks. The quality of the company that's going to do it is key.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 595 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.