Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125687 - 02/29/08 12:08 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: mattnum]
LED Offline
Veteran

(for the warmer months) Because most places in north america are fairly humid and have plenty of bugs from March thru September, or even all year. Mosquitoes in particular can become a major health concern.

Generator (to run window AC and/or fans)
Gasoline
Insect repellent
Mosquito netting
Insect Coils (permethrin)

#125688 - 02/29/08 12:17 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: Jeff_M]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think Jeff's probbaly got a good short term list. As far as long term, I think by the time it is longer term, many of the things listed people will have by necessity learned to live without. Bleach is an awesome thing for trade, but you might do better storing calcium hypochlorite, i.e. pool chlorine with which you can make your own bleach or trade the cal-hypo. Read up on cal-hypo as a chemical if you store it.

A search on the net of "D.G. Harmony" might give you an idea of what can happen. It was a ship that had 150-200 tons on board, and the cal-hypo went into runaway decomposition, blew up and soon had flames shooting 100 feet into the air.

It has a shelf life too, as it is always decomposing. But so does bleach, I think.

#125692 - 02/29/08 12:47 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: Jeff_M]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I agree with Jeff's line of thinking and that's a good list. A few other things that came to mind:

* Baby formula
* Cheap flashlights (that $2 flashlight is far more valuable than just $2 when you're stuck in the dark)
* Bottled water
* Blankets/bedding
* Dust masks
* Sand bags

#125693 - 02/29/08 12:47 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: Dan_McI]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
It has a shelf life too, as it is always decomposing. But so does bleach, I think.

Bleach has a shelf life, too.

#125699 - 02/29/08 01:08 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: mattnum]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Ammo, I have lots of it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#125724 - 02/29/08 03:25 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'd worry about number one and not count on my neighbors to have anything worth bartering for.

You'd look pretty funny sitting on a ton of cigarettes and TP if everybody around you didn't have anything but junk to trade.

#125733 - 02/29/08 03:40 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I'd worry about number one and not count on my neighbors to have anything worth bartering for.

You'd look pretty funny sitting on a ton of cigarettes and TP if everybody around you didn't have anything but junk to trade.

That’s true, but at the same time if space and money allow you could speculate on trade items to store.

I would never buy items you don’t feel you personally could use. Like Halloween candy to pass out, only buy candy you like to eat…

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#125734 - 02/29/08 03:48 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: mattnum]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
mattnum,

Several bottles of aspirin would likely make a good candidate for the use you describe. It takes relatively little space, does not cost much in the generic brands, stores fairly well, addresses muscleaches, headaches, toothaches, may help out in certain heart related issues (see disclaimer below).

Having it in a variety of standard manufacturer package sizes would likely provide additional flexibility as it can be left factory sealed in the different sizes for bartering of different value items.

Disclaimer: NOTE: I'm not a doctor, nor do I profess to be, or even pretend to play one on TV. Always be sure to discuss your health and medical issues / concerns with your doctor or medical professional before using any medicine.

Regards,
Comanche7

#125740 - 02/29/08 04:59 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: Comanche7]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
I would be curious to know if anyone has a fair idea of the shelf life of most over-the-counter medicines beyond their posted expiration dates.

Most of the time I can't find basics, like asprin, Tylenol, Motrin, Cold/Allergy medications with an expriration date beyond 12 to 15 months. And, usually I don't finish the bottle I purchase before is has expired. I know these are comfort dates that the FDA and/or manufacturer knows that the item will be at full strength, but how far beyond these dates will a common OTC pill be effective?

It won't due much good to have a jumbo case of Costco/Sam's Club asprin if you'ld be lucky to use one bottle yourself and barter a few away - again assuming that you purchased this case the day before the tsunami flushed the west coast into the Pacific.

No disclaimer needed. Unless you insist that you do know it all, I will assume that you are speaking from personal experience and will value your good judgement grin

Thanks in advance for your imput.

#125748 - 02/29/08 09:27 AM Re: top trade goods [Re: mattnum]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
In the civil war the south found the lack of salt a crippling deficiency. With no way to feed their animals in the winter and no way to keep the meat till then. And it's something that is cheap now, but might be expensive in a long term crisis. Depending of course. as someone has already said, if you are in an area that will have a shortage. The good citizens of Jericho for instance had a salt mine. And it was their main trade goods.
The Sock

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.