Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#125573 - 02/28/08 01:34 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have hatchets in several sizes, axes from a small "boys" size up thru double bits and pulaskis, and one of the "original" kukris from Nepal. It is without a doubt just me, but no matter how much I try, I can not hit what I am aiming at with the kukri. With a machete I can hit, but not the kuk. Go figure...

#125583 - 02/28/08 02:36 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

axe..the 3/4 Hudson's Bay style were carryed in the side
slip pockets of packs for years with no problems..
a Kurki was made by a "tribe" to fit their local needs--like
lopping the heads off cattle--i think we sometimes reach too
far to find the best tool when they are right here and proved
by centurys of use..and if weight is the major factor you could
leave a big Kurki home and just take a old style camp knife..

#125585 - 02/28/08 02:47 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is no doubt of a kuhri's effectiveness, given Nepal's sad deforestation for woodburning. Tools come from long traditions and histories. The Kukhri is a development of the greek sword and the axe back to the aechulian hand axe. No tool is better than it's user. A Ghurka obviously knows how to handle a Kukhri better than a Granfors Bruk felling axe. I really must question why we lug so much steel into the wilderness? If I was shipwrecked yes. I would build my Swiss Family Robinson treehouse. But for short trips axes or kukhris are 'survival rifles' to stop Bart the Bear and pagan biker gangs.I'll trade al for a good red wine, bread and cheese in my rucksack.

#125586 - 02/28/08 02:56 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Kukri, no. I have carried and used a machete more than a hatchet or axe for all large and small "expeditions/outings".

I do carry a small hatchet normally but, I don't leave home without a machete.

#125620 - 02/28/08 07:19 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: ]
Fiacharrey Offline

I thought about this decision quite a bit and opted for the Cold Steel Kukri machete. It's only about $20 and takes a beating. But that decision is based mainly on my environment. Here in Louisiana, the underbrush is thick and nasty in places and you simply need a machete. The Kukri is a good machete and a pretty good axe substitute to boot.

When times are hard we must harden to them.

#125625 - 02/28/08 08:04 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
+2 For good food. I almost always pack a picnic for a day hike. Enjoying what I'm eating is part of the reason I'm out there. Keep looking for good bag wine, I had a good Riesling in a box a while back.

As for what to carry a Kukri or and ax, well I'll go with Hacksaw on this. It depends on what you're doing and where. Most places I've been, I need to split wood or fell a jack pine, very little grass or brush. I would say, based more on experience with an ax then a kukri, that I disagree with a few of the original points:

".easier to resharpen the kukri" - Unless seriously chipped an ax or hatchet is pretty quick to sharpen with a few strokes of a small triangle file, and an ax doesn't have a recurve blade to deal with.

".easier to carry the kukri" - If you're backpacking a hatchet can be attached to the outside of your pack and carried easily as part of your pack weight.

".by using a wood club a kukri can be used to make splits safer than with a hatchet, and just as easily" - Both a hatchet or kukri can be used this way.

".kukri can be used to stir up coals in a fire due to its length" - Personally not a big fan of using a tempered tool for stirring coals, I just use another stick of wood.

But in their respective climates, axes and kukris come out pretty evenly.

#125635 - 02/28/08 09:18 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

bigmothertrucker,

The kukri you listed is a little high in price. Look at
http://www.ltspecpro.com/39lgk.html
same shape and weight,different steel.

As others have already stated the Kukri Machete that Cold Steel makes is very inexpensive, durable and if you stay on the site for the link above you will find it.

My suggestion is the 13 inch blade model (Kukri Machete). For this price you can buy one and see if it works for you.

Also, take a look at the special forces shovel. You can sharpen the edge and have a workable ax while actually having a shovel/e-tool.

However, a 4-5 inch fixed blade knife should allow you to do all the stuff you listed in the pros and cons.
.Use baton and knife to chop/splitwood
.Use knife to make digging stick
.Use knife more efficently.

Just a few thoughts.

Joe

#125644 - 02/28/08 10:02 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
OH Just great BMT, another thing I HAVE to buy now. laugh

Thanks for posting though I was wondering the same thing. Might have to go with the Kukri, definite advantage over a hatchet when the Zombies come!! eek

Blitz

#125652 - 02/28/08 10:30 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: Blitz]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It only works if you have two of them. Haven't you seen any Resident evil movies? wink

I want to put my 2 cents in and agree with AROTC on a couple of points his post made me aware of. I'd consider a kukri more dangerous than an axe or hatchet simply because there's more blade to go around and if swung properly, an axe with a long enough handle is no real risk even if it glances...I also think it's harder to swing a kukri properly than an axe. I also agree that an axe would be easier to sharpen in the field. No recurve and there's less blade to have to get sharp.

#125657 - 02/28/08 10:58 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: ]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
for my needs I wont be splitting wood unless I have to. I wont even be making a fire unless I have to. I wont need an axe to fell a jack pine unless I need a shelter and somehow lost my bivi tent. so my needs are all about flexibility and the ability to perform a different variety of tasks I may face. the unknown factor if you will. In my post, I dont think I stated anywhere that I think the kukri will chop better than an axe, but rather almost as good given all the other things a kukri machete can do that an axe cant.

If I go into the woods to actually chop wood as a goal then of course I will take an axe.

The reason I started the thread is that I plan on doing a little geocacheing this weekend or next. the point I want to attempt is 27 km on foot. I dont want to carry unnecessary weight if I dont need it but I like having the ability to fell a tree or split some wood if I have to. A large cutting tool is one of those things like a survival fishing kit that will be in my kit no matter what. It just dont feel right without one.

BTW. for those of you that would rather carry wine and other crap than a good piece of metal into the woods. when I do make the 27 km mark I really hope people like you are not with me if something goes wrong. I will get a shelter and a fire going. and you will get drunk and look like an idiot trying to cut wood with a broken wine bottle.

good luck with that one.

Edited by bigmothertrucker (02/29/08 12:26 AM)

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.