Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#124941 - 02/23/08 05:05 AM Re: Advice on Dual or Multi - Fuel Portable Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The first one...older one.

On its own it's not a good windbreak. The cup fits inside the stove and rests on the bars. The gap around is small. The only hole is the low notch in the stove. That part either faces away from the wind or I sit in front to block the wind. If it's really blowing, I I wrap the whole thing in foil loosely enough for it to get enough air from the bottom. As long as that slot isn't completely covered

Edited by Hacksaw (02/23/08 05:07 AM)

#125124 - 02/24/08 11:35 PM Re: Advice on Dual or Multi - Fuel Portable Stove [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,
How well do alcohol stoves work in the cold (I even had trouble keeping 2 burner Naptha Colemans working this weekend)?

Mike

#125133 - 02/25/08 12:49 AM Re: Advice on Dual or Multi - Fuel Portable Stove [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Functionally alcohol stoves work great in the cold...they just need a bit more priming to get going. I've used mine in weather as cold as -25 or colder and it's always lit. My tests have shown my Vargo to run longer in the cold than at room temperature.

Practically they're not as good as the competition and get a bad rap simply because their heat output is so much lower. If you don't expect much out of one, they get most jobs done just fine. They won't boil much water, won't melt snow worth a damn, and won't run as long as other types of stoves. I'm generally only using it to thaw out some food and have a hot beverage.

#125303 - 02/26/08 03:00 AM Re: Advice on Dual or Multi - Fuel Portable Stove [Re: SwampDonkey]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
My multifuel stove is two stoves I made:

1. A penny alcohol stove (aluminum can bottoms + penny pressure valve)

2. A wood stove made from nested tin cans with a gutter screen inner bottom. (copy of the BushBuddy) In the forest, there's no need to carry fuel with this, assuming wood stoves aren't a fire hazard in the area.

#125325 - 02/26/08 01:25 PM Re: Advice on Dual or Multi - Fuel Portable Stove [Re: SwampDonkey]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Just buy the best the MSR International it will burn just about anything and has the best track record. I am alway scepticable of one piece stoves, thought I had a Coleman simular to the one you are looking at. The MSR is just proven and used in more exptermes then any other stove.
Cheers

#125332 - 02/26/08 02:12 PM Re: Advice on Dual or Multi - Fuel Portable Stove [Re: atoz]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: atoz
Just buy the best the MSR International it will burn just about anything and has the best track record. I am alway scepticable of one piece stoves, thought I had a Coleman simular to the one you are looking at. The MSR is just proven and used in more exptermes then any other stove.
Cheers

Well actually i have heard 2 kind of reaction on the whisperlite International. Some rave about it and other simple think it's a piece of ****. Personally i have not owned a whisperlite, but have been able to use them. I can't really say they are mine favorite. It's also not really a multifuel stove. It can't burn diesel and other dirty stuff.

I have owned (although i have now sold most of them to safe space) MSR XGK, Optimus Explorer, SVEA 123R, Primus Multifuel, Coleman 503, MSR pocket rocket, several traniga and svea alcohol stoves, loads of home made stoves, wood-burning stoves, esbits stoves, etc. I also have another stove coming mine way. I have also used Whisperlites, optimus nova's, 8R's, etc. It's mine opinion that optimus and primus makes better stoves than MSR does. Most stove addicts would say the same, check www.spiritburner.com/ for stove-a-holics.

two models of multifuel stoves i would recommend are:
- the Primus Omnifuel, able to burn everything from propane/butane to diesel. Very well build, good precise controls.
- Optimus Nova, burns most liquid fuels, very good controls, very compact and also very well build.

#125393 - 02/27/08 12:31 AM Re: Advice on Dual or Multi - Fuel Portable Stove [Re: Tjin]
bmisf Offline

Check out the Optimus Nova (not the Nova+ though - problematic valve design). Great multi-liquid fuel stove, which seems to keep running no matter what you throw at it.

Also consider a multi-fuel stove that also can use canister fuel; Primus makes several (I have the Multifuel), and I'm sure there are others. That provides the ultimate flexibility.

Whichever stove you get, as others have noted, automotive gasoline is a poor choice (toxic fumes, more clogging, more contaminants). You can get by with automotive unleaded, but better to get real white gas, or use kerosene/veggie oil/diesel, in that order of preference.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.