The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#124329 - 02/19/08 10:24 AM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: GarlyDog]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
I've heard worse.

It is possible to barf up your lunch, into your regulator.

Now tell me would you really want to rent a set of regs after hearing that?

#124334 - 02/19/08 11:28 AM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: Stokie]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Stokie
I've heard worse.

It is possible to barf up your lunch, into your regulator.

Now tell me would you really want to rent a set of regs after hearing that?

Yeah seen that before too... Though it was into his own regs. A buddy of mine found out that he was scared of eels that day and his response was to get sick.

#124370 - 02/19/08 03:22 PM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: Kris]
Stokie Offline

What I'm trying to get across to our young friend is that sometimes it pays to invest. I bought a decent set of regs Mares Rubi, not sure if that make is over there and later some, Posiden (deep diving). The difference in breathing, after using the schools Aquapro's was noticable. I left like I really could breath rather than suck air. though that's not why I first bought them.

After seeing a guy loose his lunch through his reg ( not through fear, just stuffed himself silly at lunch time before the dive, I really, really, wanted my own.

#124475 - 02/20/08 05:23 AM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: Stokie]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
It's been a long time since I have gone diving. Yup, married with children syndrome.

I agree with some kind of neoprene cover. A shortie or just a vest or shirt makes a difference in comfort, even in Hawaii. My last diving was free diving and after a few hours in the water, I am happy to have it. Even happier coming out at night in a cold wind and rain.

Night diving is fun to me. And I like the Underwater Kinetics lights. Princeton Tech is ok too, but I have just always used the UK brand.

A good spear or spear gun is a good piece of gear to have too, but here in Hawaii, I think it is illegal to spearfish while SCUBA diving. Only ok for free diving.

#124509 - 02/20/08 03:53 PM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: gulliamo]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Drop me a line if you want to dive around NYC. There are fun and hairy stuff here. I dive with combo wetsuit which has 3 mm on the arms and legs but torso is made out of 7 mm. That's perfect for around here. When you get your cert in Florida and come back it will almost be time for diving at Dutch Spring and that's a fun site to practice your skills.

#124780 - 02/22/08 03:17 AM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: Polak187]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Thanks all! This is really helpful! I now am the proud owner of:

Edge Fins and boots
http://www.divers-supply.com/EDGE-CRUISER-FINS-p/edg011.htm

and a brand of mask and semi-dry snorkel only known to the good folks at LeisurePro. This reg how ever seems like it's out of my price range for the first trip however your argument is pretty convincing! Yuk!

If I had to choose between buying my own suit or my own reg which should I go with?

#124798 - 02/22/08 11:58 AM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: gulliamo]
Kris Offline
Addict

Gulliamo,

All depends on yoru environment... if diving this time of year in nyc, a dry suit would be priority (at least for me).

If going to florida for your training, you can prob get away without a wet suit, though it would make like comfortable. I'd prob go with regs first in this case.

Good luck,
Kris

#124801 - 02/22/08 12:31 PM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: Kris]
Stokie Offline

Gulliamo,

Nice set of fins, by the way. You might want to pick up a set of spare straps, as and when you can. Straps tend to break, just when things get interesting. You don't want a dive ruined for the sake of a strap.

Have a spares kit, mask strap, fin strap, O-rings for the tanks, just to name a few.

Most clubs have a good selection of kit, regs, suits, etc, try a few out before commiting to either. Dry suits require training, you need a fair few dives under your belt before you consider a dry-suit. For me when the water's below 15°C (60°F)then use a dry suit. For Florida, as someone said maybe just a thinsulate shorty to stop scrapes.

Suits aren't that much to rent anyway, but I like to have my own regs, especially one I've found easy to draw from. I've found more than one rented reg that I felt I had to pull on to get air. Not a comfortable feeling while your trying to concentrate on the instructors exercises. When you've tried a few out you'll know what's good for you.

Enjoy your diving experience.

Edited by Stokie (02/22/08 12:33 PM)

#125223 - 02/25/08 05:17 PM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: Stokie]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Great advice all! (That's why I come here.) Is a reg -like a mask- something I really have to try before I buy or is it more like a fin that is safe to order unseen online?

Same question for suits. Also - what do most of you where under the wetsuit?

#125241 - 02/25/08 07:32 PM Re: Scuba gear? [Re: gulliamo]
Kris Offline
Addict

As for the regs... not really. Most mouth pieces for the average stuff (scubapro, etc) is about the same. Some have different features and stuff, some require you to suck air alittle more then others, etc...

I would still recommend to try out a few types first... or just go with a basic unit from a dive shop expecting to upgrade after a short period of time.

As for what I wear under my wet suit... its the same as what i wear under my kilt! LOL... nah, shorts... swim trunks, etc... Usually on a dive boat and just put the suit over what i'm currently wearing at the time.

kris

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.