Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#125349 - 02/26/08 07:12 PM Re: Need a new backpack [Re: dweste]
JRJ Offline

You might take a look at http://www.eberlestock.com

In full disclosure I do not have one YET. I have "read" great things about the packs though and will be purchasing one sometime this year.

-JRJ

#125350 - 02/26/08 07:23 PM Re: Need a new backpack [Re: JRJ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Forum member Taurus loves Eberlestock and I'm sure would tell you all kinds of wonderful things about them if he were here to do so.

#125352 - 02/26/08 07:54 PM Re: Need a new backpack [Re: ]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
if the bergan is of interest check ebay always several there new and used personnely use the 120lt bergan for camping and the smaller other arms version for my bobs.

#125379 - 02/26/08 11:00 PM Re: Need a new backpack [Re: Jackal]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Jackal and all:

Is the PLCE Bergen with the 2.8 kg weight as shown the same item as the 90 pattern PLCE Infantry Rucksack discussed in the second paragraph? That is, does Bergen = rucksack?

I read the Wiggy’s site to show the 4.61 kg weight includes a sternum strap, waist belt, detachable daypack, hydration space, many pockets, and advanced materials and fittings. I wonder if the extra 1.8 kg might be worth it for Wiggy’s quality, etc.

#125386 - 02/26/08 11:57 PM Re: Need a new backpack [Re: dweste]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
Bergen is from the manufacturer's name "Bergans" usually associated with the British Armed Forces. bergans come in various types and sizes.

Other Arms Bergan is shorter backed and you can add pouches to the sides for more carry space

Rucksack - Patrol Pack PLCE 30Ltr

PLCE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Load_Carrying_Equipment

#125837 - 03/01/08 01:18 AM Re: Need a new backpack [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I recently bought a GoLite Quest. I really like it.
http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5257&s=1

It has a full internal frame, but it weighs only about 3.2 lbs, about a third of the Wiggy's pack. It doesn't have quite as many pockets as I like, but it fits well and is a pound lighter than my old pack. Light is good.

Fit, by the way, is a big issue. I'm a 6 footer. Most every thing I buy is size L or XL. I've been backpacking with a size L pack lo these many years. I went and got fitted. I'm a freakin' size M. Long legs, shorter torso. Switching to a size M pack made a huge difference in carrying comfort. Huge.

A budy of mine bought an Osprey recently. He really likes it, and it has the detachable daypack feature. Great for trips where you hike in to a "base camp" and then do peak bagging or side trips from your base camp.

#125872 - 03/01/08 02:21 PM Re: Need a new backpack [Re: dweste]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
For my large BOB, I have what essentially amounts to the MOLLE II Core Rifleman Set. I put together for around $100.00- $125.00 (estimate). It's used gear, but with the exception of the initial coat of dirt in some cases and the lightening of age in others it's all in great shape. I don't have all of the magazine pouches, but I don't need them either.

I like it a lot, but truthfully it's overkill and has been pared down somewhat in some instances and added to in others. I dropped the MOLLE II vest for a low key hunting vest with multiple pockets, so I lost the magazine and grenade pouches as well. I don't need the Sleep Carrier because my MSS bag comes with it's own compression sack and MOLLE attachments. The buttpack stays rolled up in one of the Sustainment pouches. I'm going to replace the Day Pack with something a little more sporty and less cammie eventually.

On top of it all I attach my Eureka K2 XT... I wish I'd gotten the expedition yellow now instead of green... LOL

With it all on I look like an overloaded goof.

Really I don't like being all camoed up like that. Not being seen draws a lot of attention. LOL

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.