Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#124758 - 02/22/08 12:45 AM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite according to [Re: Art_in_FL]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
LOL.

Fairly recently the Chinese shot one of their satellites. And a mighty gasp was heard within the US about how the Chinese were going to stage a 'Pearl Harbor on the Hight Frontier'. What got missed was the many developments and tests the US had been doing along the same lines.

The unwritten logic was: US developments are 'good' and in the service of peace' but the Chinese efforts are a 'threat to world peace and US security'. Silly.

Now this administration has, at considerable cost (one estimate was $1 Billion), deigned to shoot at one of our satellites. The experts on such things pointed out that the whole 'hydrazine risk' story was canard. The odds of a hydrazine tank surviving reentry are slim to none. Assuming it made it down at least partly intact the risk was minimal, contamination of an estimated two football fields.

Which means that for purely symbolic reasons, demonstrating we can, we have spent most of a Billion dollars for no practical effect.

Maybe it is just me but this smacks of the psychology of insecure adolescent boys. A need to 'prove themselves' and an immature inability to restrain themselves that drives them to do outlandish inappropriate acts simply because 'they can'. Regardless of the consequences.

Again, maybe it is just me but I keep getting the feeling this administration needs adult supervision.

I'd say the adolescence in these statements is glaring. Isn't it alarming to anyone how, if we're honest, we know so little yet pretend to know so much?

A billion dollars (a wild guess by ANY standards) for technology advancement that goes so much farther than just military use, and "we" whine (like adolescents), yet we'll vote for 10's if not 100's of billions of dollars for PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. causes?

I have a hard time thinking outside the box when I know so little about what's inside the box already. I know it's "free" outside the box, and nirvana abounds, but I just can;t bring myself to such self-imposed blissful ignorance. But........Maybe it's just me.

I happen to like this country and any administration that attempts to keep us on track with what historical and empirical evidence (all found where? Inside the box!) tells us brought us to some argueable level of greatness. I won;t be disliking my country enough yet to be voting for "hope" this November....but....maybe that's just me.

Edited by Stretch (02/22/08 12:52 AM)

#124770 - 02/22/08 02:10 AM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite according to [Re: Stretch]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
One more thing: the damage to an "estimated" area the sioze of two football fields wouldn;t be nice if those football fields were populated.....

We did a good thing. We shot down a satellite that was earthbound. Who did it first is irrelevant. Because China did it last year, doesn;t mean we couldn;t have, just that we didn;t.

IF it were me, that thing would've had an explosive device in it before it went up in the first place. Now....did we shoot it down or does this "adolescent" administration have a trick or two up its sleeve? Who knows. We do know that there will be no damage to any football fields.

#124782 - 02/22/08 03:18 AM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite accordin [Re: Art_in_FL]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
LOL.

Fairly recently the Chinese shot one of their satellites. And a mighty gasp was heard within the US about how the Chinese were going to stage a 'Pearl Harbor on the Hight Frontier'. What got missed was the many developments and tests the US had been doing along the same lines.

The unwritten logic was: US developments are 'good' and in the service of peace' but the Chinese efforts are a 'threat to world peace and US security'. Silly.

Now this administration has, at considerable cost (one estimate was $1 Billion), deigned to shoot at one of our satellites. The experts on such things pointed out that the whole 'hydrazine risk' story was canard. The odds of a hydrazine tank surviving reentry are slim to none. Assuming it made it down at least partly intact the risk was minimal, contamination of an estimated two football fields.

Which means that for purely symbolic reasons, demonstrating we can, we have spent most of a Billion dollars for no practical effect.

Maybe it is just me but this smacks of the psychology of insecure adolescent boys. A need to 'prove themselves' and an immature inability to restrain themselves that drives them to do outlandish inappropriate acts simply because 'they can'. Regardless of the consequences.

Again, maybe it is just me but I keep getting the feeling this administration needs adult supervision.

I see nothing wrong with sending a message to others. I see nothing wrong with sending a message to others. You argue its 1 Billion dollars, but if the message was received it would not only save money, it could save lives.

Just like a shotgun shell cost money, but if someone were to try to open your door in the middle of the night and you turn the outside lights on and fire a shell off in the front yard to let the thief know you have a gun and to move on.

You are arguing about the cost of electricity for the light and the cost of a shotgun shell. Let go the hate for Bush and look at the bigger picture.

I could care less what party is in office, and what President orders it, when we show the world we are strong it’s good.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124806 - 02/22/08 01:08 PM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite according to [Re: Blitz]
HerbG Offline

"The odds of a hydrazine tank surviving reentry are slim to none. Assuming it made it down at least partly intact the risk was minimal, contamination of an estimated two football fields."

I guess the risk associated with it's surviving depends on whether it lands in your backyard or somebody else's. Now nobody has to worry about it!

To me the amazing thing about the shot was that it actually hit the tank. I assumed they would use an explosive warhead that would detonate when it came near the target. Good job Navy!

#124807 - 02/22/08 01:09 PM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite accordin [Re: BobS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Now the US can talk to the Chinese about the PRC's ASAT system from a better negotiating position.

#124867 - 02/22/08 07:30 PM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite accordin [Re: Russ]
sodak Offline
Addict

Actually, the odds of the fuel making back down was pretty good. Hydrazine is incredibly dangerous and carcinogenic. Not to mention that fuel is hypergolic.

Back in the olds days, drag racers tried adding it to their fuel, and in a 1% solution, it would boost horsepower something like 100%. Many engines didn't make it 100 ft. before coming apart at the seams. It was quickly banned by the NHRA (and rightfully so).

Missiles were my specialty in the Army. All I can say, is nice shot, very impressive! Wish I could have been in on it!

#124877 - 02/22/08 09:11 PM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite accordin [Re: Russ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
Now the US can talk to the Chinese about the PRC's ASAT system from a better negotiating position.

If hypocricy is the enemy of credibility I may be missing the logic here. And I'm pretty sure it goes without saying, but your creditor always has the superior negotiating position.

#124913 - 02/23/08 01:35 AM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite accordin [Re: sodak]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: sodak

Missiles were my specialty in the Army. All I can say, is nice shot, very impressive! Wish I could have been in on it!

+1 to you Sodak that was my point to begin with. Thanks.

Blitz

#125005 - 02/24/08 02:32 AM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite accordin [Re: Art_in_FL]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
LOL.

I've doubted the story from day one from what I've heard. The "spy satellite" was apparently one of the newer breed that was sent up and then stopped working shortly after achieving orbit. I know - call me paranoid but I think the chances of hydrazine container not burning up is just an excuse. Some have suggested that it was really the secret capabilities of the satellite that the government wanted to protect.

However, I will go one better and say that this whole farce was probably planned from the start. What proof we have that it really was a top-secret satellite instead of a lump of junk? I think this was purposely put up in space to act as a target under the guise of "we have to protect earth from the hydrazine container". This gave the government and the military the perfect target to practise their space age technology in shooting down the satellite. 'Know what - for once I think the Chinese have hit it on the head in their claim about the American governmemt.

#125025 - 02/24/08 05:11 AM Re: Shot fired and a hit on the satellite accordin [Re: Roarmeister]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Some have suggested that it was really the secret capabilities of the satellite that the government wanted to protect.

Left intact, large parts of the satellite probably would have made it to the ground. A lot of other countries would love to get their hands on a US spy satellite optics so it makes strategic sense to destroy the satellite. Don't we destroy downed US helicopters in Iraq for the same reason? The fact that we get to show off our capablities is just icing on the cake. What I'm wondering is what capabilities is the US government still hiding from the bad guys. grin

Quote:

However, I will go one better and say that this whole farce was probably planned from the start. What proof we have that it really was a top-secret satellite instead of a lump of junk? I think this was purposely put up in space to act as a target under the guise of "we have to protect earth from the hydrazine container".

I doubt it. There's a paper/person trail involved in making such a satellite. You'd have to make everyone involved kept silent and as all the CIA leaks to the New York Times show, they are blabbing secrets left and right. I think they saw a valid oppertunity and took it.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.