The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124594 - 02/21/08 02:24 AM Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I've noticed that most folks (or so it seems) do not include plain ol' aspirin in their FAKs, myself included.

But according to various sources (in this case, mayoclinic.com) "For most people experiencing heart attack symptoms, doctors recommend chewing or swallowing a plain regular-strength aspirin. This recommendation still holds true if you are on daily aspirin therapy."

I'm not planning on having a heart attack anytime soon (but then, who does plan on it) — but I'm a 63-year-old guy who, physical activity wise, doesn't plan on slowing down anytime soon. Is there a "rest of the story" on this, or would the addition of a couple of aspirin be one more good thing in the bag of tricks?

#124603 - 02/21/08 02:58 AM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: xbanker]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’m 48 and had a heart attack a few months ago, and the doctors said the aspirin I took helped a lot. I was out at a restaurant with my dad (thank God he was with me!) when I got a headache, I always carry aspirin for use with my knees from a motorcycle accident. I took the aspirin and within a min I felt like I was going to get sick. I canceled my order and went outside to upchuck as I was sure it was coming. About that time I started having chest pains from one elbow to the other. After 3-min my dad came out and we started heading to a hospital that was 5-min away.

When I walked in things started happening very fast, they hooked up an EKG and then almost ran with the gurney to the CAT-Lab. Within 15-min of feeling sick I was on the operating room with 2-doctors and 4-nurses running around. The doctor said the aspirin and quick response saved my life. So yes I would and will always have aspirin with me.

I was awake while they operated on me, the doctor was very good explaining what was going on and very friendly. I had 2-stints put in and spent 2-days in the hospital. I was very lucky to be so close to a hospital. I would have died if I was very far away as the arteries were blocked 100%. I occasionally have a little pain if I lift too much, but for the most part I’m doing well.

I take an aspirin in the morning with some other pills and one in the evening with some other pills. They are extra strength aspirin as that is the only one I take for my broken bone problems. I know they make low dose aspirin, but the stronger ones don’t bother my stomach at all and I want to make sure they do their job. My Son is turning 18 tomorrow (21st)and I want to be around to enjoy years with him.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124604 - 02/21/08 03:06 AM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: xbanker]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I had a heart attack at age 39. I now carry at least three aspirin near me all the time. I always have a few in my briefcase, my shaving kit when I travel, my FAK when in the outdoors, in a plastic baggy in my inside coat pocket in the winter. I also now take a daily low dose enteric coated aspirin. Aspirin are good to have around. The aspirin that I carry are strictly for heart issues though. I use advil or tylenol for routine aches and pains. The aspirin is the "break in case of emergency" medicine.

#124605 - 02/21/08 03:08 AM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: BobS]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
You should consult your Doctor on asprin useage. For everyday use I hear low dosage is best.

#124611 - 02/21/08 03:36 AM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: BobS]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Wow, Bob! That's a story with a happy ending; the kind we all like to hear. Having had a potentially fatal "incident" myself five years ago, I can relate. It does tend to give one a different perspective on things — simple things are appreciated more, and other things ain't such a big deal like they once were. grin

Thanks for sharing ... between you and Seeker, guess the FSK and PSK will each get a couple of aspirin squeezed in.

Re "consult with doctor first" ... agreed. In fact, my doctor suggested I start taking the low-dosage about a year ago, just because I'm officially an old guy, but true to form, I didn't start. Suppose I should just because.

#124613 - 02/21/08 03:48 AM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: xbanker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Aspirin is usually the only pain reliever I carry in a FAK - reliable and useful in a variety of situations. And we are talking about first aid, not more advanced modes of treatment, right? I am at the age where I am taking 81 mg of aspirin daily and I still get out in the woods. I certainly hope I don't experience a heart attack in the boondocks, because I suspect I would need a lot more than a couple of aspirin. Speedy transport to definitive medical care is hard to come by in an outdoors setting.

#124617 - 02/21/08 04:11 AM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: hikermor]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I did ask about the low dose aspirin and also the ones I have always had with me since the 1989 motorcycle accident. He said if it doesn’t bother my stomach to take the stronger ones, go ahead and do it. I told him about my motorcycle problems and that I take them at least every 3-days depending on what I do while working.

As far as aspirin being the only pain reliever I have Perkaset (sp?) if the shoulder or knees get too bad. I always have it in my pocket (again since 1989.)

The heart doctor that did my surgery and after care was very good, he explained everything and was great at addressing my concerns & questions. The whole staff at the hospital was this way, great people.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124631 - 02/21/08 07:39 AM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: BobS]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
My family does not have a good cardio history. I have aspirin in all my kits.

Bona Na Croin

#124665 - 02/21/08 03:07 PM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: xbanker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have aspirin in my kits and I have no heart conditions at all; it might not be for me, it could be for a guy like Bob.

#124669 - 02/21/08 03:11 PM Re: Aspirin in FAKs and heart attacks [Re: Russ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good Thinking Russ,

My hunting partner had a heart attack 2 years ago (he is trying to deny it now) at age 44, he is the reason I will be adding aspirin to my kits.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.