Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124452 - 02/20/08 12:45 AM How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace?
colbyhouse Offline

I want to know how you would improve RR's Survival Necklace... What items would you add/subtract? What kind of cord/chain would you use? Please include any hyperlinks to reference any additions you would add.

colbyhouse

P.S. - I would start by exchanging out the wire saw with some paracord.

#124461 - 02/20/08 02:20 AM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: colbyhouse]
sicily02 Offline

colbyhouse I would put a small fixed blade with orange G-10 handle slabs or orange para cord wraped handle on it. If things go well with in a this next month I will have my knife making shop up and running I have plans on some neck knives and will post some pics when I get something made up. That is one thing I would do.

Yea I would change out the wire saw too and would rather have more cord.

I think I would change out the fire starting set up to and just go with spy capsule with a fire steel and cotton and pj mix in the capsule this is how I carry my personal set up now. I have a quarter inch rod and 3 cotton balls mixed with pj in the capsule it works great and is always in my right front pocket. I have several of these set ups and one in every kit that I have made up.

Take care

Bryan

#124468 - 02/20/08 03:20 AM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: sicily02]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL

Keys would be my addition to the RR lanyard. I get separated from my primary set of keys more often than I like to admit. The spares keys on my lanyard have saved me more than once.

This is not a modified RR necklass, but my less comprehensive EDC lanyard.

This is version 14 or 15 by now, but this one has lasted for over a year. It stays flat against me while I wear it and it doesn't rattle when I move.

Inside the Blast-inspired shrink-tube breakaway is tinder and SAK size tweezers. I seem to get more than my share of slivers.

Edited by GarlyDog (02/20/08 03:35 AM)

#124489 - 02/20/08 01:16 PM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: colbyhouse]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
I have the version with 10' of braided paracord, and I use it as a cargo pocket kit because I can't stand to have anything around my neck.

The only changes I've made so far are to replace the large split ring with an aircraft cable loop from countycomm.com, and to separate the striker and flint rod from the tiny split ring they are both on.

The cable bends, which make the unit a bit more pocket-friendly, and it's easier to take things off if needed. I separated the striker and flint bar because I would not want to try to get them off that tiny ring in an emergency.

Future changes . . . hmmm. Since more fire is always good, I could see adding a peanut lighter (county comm) and/or a pill case with a few Sparklite Tinders (fourseasonssurvival.com).

Edited by jaywalke (02/20/08 01:19 PM)

#124498 - 02/20/08 02:16 PM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: colbyhouse]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I have added to mine:
Spark-lite.
Pill Fob with Tinder-Quick.

I have replaced the chlorine tablets with MP-1's.

I'm looking at a better small knife. The one supplied is good enough for a scraper but it's strictly last ditch for anything else.

Rick, If your reading this, I for one would prefer a straight edge to the serrated one. Perhaps you might consider giving people the choice?

#124504 - 02/20/08 03:24 PM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Go to M4040.com and check out what he did to the necklace. He had a couple of nice innovations. I am in no way related to M4040 personally or professionally.

#124505 - 02/20/08 03:26 PM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Add on...remember the reason the necklace is designed the way it is. Also, Doug did a review on it and if I recall gave it a pretty good grade.

#124511 - 02/20/08 04:07 PM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: MoBOB]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I'd move it off my neck to a pocket ( tied in) subtract the saw, add a bigger blade, and maybe a bit of tape / floss wrapped around something.

Teach

#124544 - 02/20/08 08:40 PM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: teacher]
Mark_G Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Stafford, VA
I stole this from a guy on another forum, but it was on the subject of the Survival Necklace.

"There are some things in this life that I'm just not going to do. Wearing that Amulete around my neck is one of them!"
grin

Thank the Lord for 6 pocket pants.

#124593 - 02/21/08 02:23 AM Re: How would you improve RR's Survival Necklace? [Re: Mark_G]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.