Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#124458 - 02/20/08 01:39 AM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: haertig]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: haertig
"Can't blow 'em out" trick birthday candles for the windproof needs. I've never had to actually use those birthday candles, but that's my windproof plan (hope it works!)

I have considered using those in my kits in the past, although if I recall correctly they need to burn for 10-15 seconds or more before they actually develop enough heat to relight themselves. If this is indeed the case, the benefit (in strong winds) is essentially negated.

Based on this thread, I'm seriously thinking about picking up a Brunton Helios tomorrow, but I'm really going to be pissed at myself for wasting the money (they're not ceap) if it turns out to be like all the other refillables I've owned in the past.

Jim

#124459 - 02/20/08 01:42 AM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: Paragon]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Brunton has been good about replacing all the defective compasses I bought from them, so check out their warranty before you buy.

Hope it works, but I would carry a reliable backup.

#124462 - 02/20/08 02:21 AM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: Schwert]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Schwert
Brunton has been good about replacing all the defective compasses I bought from them, so check out their warranty before you buy.

Hope it works, but I would carry a reliable backup.

Replacement warrantees are ok when something doesn’t work, but it would be better to not have it break in the first place.

This sounds too far fetched to believe, No one can have this much bad luck. But it did happen to me just like this.

Back in about 1990-91 I bought a Simmons Rifle scope, it was their 6 to 18 power Presidential Ranger scope, it was the best most expensive scope they made. I put it on my 22-250 Mauser rifle and was a happy camper, till I tried to sight it in. it would every once in a while be off 8-inches in 100-yards. I took a Redfield scope on the rifle (taken off my 3006) and it worked perfect. This told me the scope was the problem. It had a great warrantee, send it back and we will send you a new one, sounds great. But the second scope would not go through all the power range when zooming in. I sent it back. The next one was blurry around the edges. I told them I wanted my money back as all these scopes are junk, they refused and said they would replace it. I had them send me a few sets of binoculars to equal what the scope cost. One set of binoculars was back ordered (3-months) the other one came right away, it would point each eye piece different directions when shaken. I threw them away. The second set I gave to my son (5-years old) to play with. My friend that sold Simmons scopes in his gun shop stopped carrying them.

Needless to say, a good warrantee does not impress me after this 9-month fiasco.

Good quality does.

PS I buy Redfield, Burris or Leopold scopes only. All others don’t get a look.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124466 - 02/20/08 02:51 AM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: NeighborBill]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I'll definitely be looking for some O-Rings. I saw some GITD ones but they were too large. The ones on these things are really thin and when you tighten fully, they tend to bunch outward and can even break the seal. I took a better O-Ring off of a chrome version of the peanut lighter that I kept around - it seems better. I think it would actually work better with a washer type ring instead of an O-ring which rolls when you tighten down the lid. The washer type might be near impossible to find...

Anyway, it's still a fantastic lighter. I've replaced my Redilite which I carried for a long time. Those eventually evaporate the fuel despite the fairly tight fitting lid.

I love the form factor so much I'm considering getting another stainless one to remove the lighter and use it as a container. Unless someone knows of a good stainless or titanium container. The aluminum ones always seem thin-walled and too big to me.

#124531 - 02/20/08 06:12 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: tdr2758]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Only refillable lighters I've had that got used enough to comment on were Ronsons @ about $8 each. Not wind proof but they work when filled. I usually use medium grade butane (Scripto or Ronson).

#124675 - 02/21/08 03:22 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: BobS]
Pete_Kenney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sylvania, OH
BobS

PM sent.

Pete

#124720 - 02/21/08 08:01 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: massacre]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Quote:
I love the form factor so much I'm considering getting another stainless one to remove the lighter and use it as a container. Unless someone knows of a good stainless or titanium container. The aluminum ones always seem thin-walled and too big to me.

I don't know about stainless ones, but reasonable aluminum ones are available from EDCDepot.com in 3 sizes at very low cost. They also send a small one with every order.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#124746 - 02/21/08 10:59 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: JerryFountain]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I'll check that out. The last Aluminum one I had got so scratched and dented it wasn't usable and I stopped carrying. I've seen some HAIII tubes that were pretty sturdy, but they were very large. I wish I had unlimited money and could hire someone to craft me one or ten out out of titanium. :-)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.