Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#124416 - 02/19/08 08:07 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Could be the soldering iron has much larger jetting.

This is the first time I've heard of 'bad' or dirty butane too however. I've almost always used Ronson brand and never had an issue. The only problem I've had with cheap butane is a crappy tip that leaks when you try to fill something, freezing your fingers.

#124418 - 02/19/08 08:18 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I don’t know, I do a lot of work with the soldering iron, probably an hour or so a week. I have bought new tips for it as they get corroded but that has nothing to do with the filling of it. I have been expecting the soldering iron to bite the dust for years as it’s old, but it keeps going. So does the $3.00 torch from Harbor Tools.

If a $3.00 torch can work for years, why can’t a $20.00 lighter???

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124419 - 02/19/08 08:27 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: tdr2758]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
No butane lighters for me. I've never seen a reliable one. So what's the point of having one for emergency use?

Firesteel for reliability. Two Bics for convenience. Waterproofed matches and a small fresnel lens for additional backup. Vasoline cotton and commercial prepared tinder. "Can't blow 'em out" trick birthday candles for the windproof needs. I've never had to actually use those birthday candles, but that's my windproof plan (hope it works!)

#124420 - 02/19/08 08:48 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: haertig]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Like I said, I really don't believe it is all about the quality of the butane, otherwise my results would be consistent when using the same refill cannister to charge many different lighters, and certain ones consistently failing while others seem wholly unaffected. Perhaps it is a combination of bad fuel and a more sensitive setup, but that still means some lighters are just better built than others.

I too had a butane soldering iron that I used for years and no matter what type of butane I put through it it never gave me cause to curse. Then I was issued a different model and it worked good the first tankful then never again.

My culinary torch (the ones they advertise for toasting creme brulee) has been going strong almost a decade now. That little unit has seen some rough times, and cost me $25 back when. I use it for soldering, lighting my propane stove, lighting my charcoal chimney, lighting my smoking pipe and the occasional cigar, melting lead, melting the end of synthetic rope and string, igniting the ends of my handwarmer sticks, etc. I've easily run a gallon of butane or more through that little unit, and it still lights everytime on the first click.

#124421 - 02/19/08 09:02 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: haertig]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
All the refillable butane lights I have ever tried failed at high elevation also. I don't think I would spend any great amount on a butane lighter, and I certainly would never count on one working (except for the cheapies which seem to work more times than not).

I have heard all the stuff about cheap butane too, and am not buying it. I have also tried all the tricks about purging out air etc from the butane tank for each refill. I think most if not all the expensive butane lighters are somehow mechanically flawed and the cheap butane excuse is what works for them when you return it.

I like the little Peanut light too....not windproof but it at least has a good chance of lighting when all my expensive butanes just wear my thumb out clicking. It sparks too, and has cotton batting....emergency tinder and a sparker in a waterproof capsule.....for only $5 (aluminum), $10 (stainless). Now that is a bargain.

Edited by Schwert (02/19/08 09:05 PM)

#124427 - 02/19/08 09:54 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: Schwert]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I'm with Schwert - I carry the stainless peanut lighter and have grown to like it. Though, I'm looking for a good O-Ring replacement. It can spark even without fuel or tinder, it can seal up fuel for ages if it's intact, contains a last ditch tinder, and it's very durable - it's not going to accidentally turn on, leak fuel or break.

I would make a strong recommendation to get the stainless version both for strength and build quality - especially for EDC. You can easily fit a spare flint in the cap, maybe even stuff in some tinder, though it would be very small.

About the only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit difficult to unscrew one handed, especially when cold - but it's doable. I suppose it would be easier if it was slightly longer, it's only other real drawback.

If you get a good copy, the O-Ring is probably just fine. Mine is so thin and flimsy that it rolls out of the way when you seal the lid tight. So I'm on the hunt for a good replacement. I will say though, that you can tighten the lid without an o-ring and it seems to seal VERY tightly - maybe not completely leakproof, but close.

One trick I've learned is that if you hook the splitring to a keychain, you can actually hold the keychain and the lid and unscrew the body - this makes it easier one handed.

#124436 - 02/19/08 10:38 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: massacre]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted By: massacre
I'm with Schwert - I carry the stainless peanut lighter and have grown to like it. Though, I'm looking for a good O-Ring replacement. It can spark even without fuel or tinder, it can seal up fuel for ages if it's intact, contains a last ditch tinder, and it's very durable - it's not going to accidentally turn on, leak fuel or break.

I would make a strong recommendation to get the stainless version both for strength and build quality - especially for EDC. You can easily fit a spare flint in the cap, maybe even stuff in some tinder, though it would be very small.

About the only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit difficult to unscrew one handed, especially when cold - but it's doable. I suppose it would be easier if it was slightly longer, it's only other real drawback.

If you get a good copy, the O-Ring is probably just fine. Mine is so thin and flimsy that it rolls out of the way when you seal the lid tight. So I'm on the hunt for a good replacement. I will say though, that you can tighten the lid without an o-ring and it seems to seal VERY tightly - maybe not completely leakproof, but close.

One trick I've learned is that if you hook the splitring to a keychain, you can actually hold the keychain and the lid and unscrew the body - this makes it easier one handed.

My o-ring is pretty thin and will move out of the way if I am not careful screwing the cap on slowly. I think this is about the only fault of the peanut lighter (mine is stainless). An extra flint can go in the cotton on these too. Overall I think it would be hard to find a better inexpensive lighter. Well designed, well machined, mechanically simple and damn near foolproof.

I carry a zippo and a Tabasco bottle of lighter fluid as the Zippo is just about always dry when I want it. I wrap it in several layers of Saran wrap which helps keep it fueled for a few weeks, but it is really too much trouble compared to the Peanut.

#124437 - 02/19/08 10:45 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: massacre]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Look for a Viton o-ring (brown) or silicon (red) in the same (or thicker) size as your presumably black o-ring. Viton is chemical and heat resistant, but hardish, while the silicon is softer but just as resistant.

#124448 - 02/19/08 11:51 PM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: tdr2758]
Mogg Offline
Stranger

As far as survival lighters go, I use tiger brand butane lighters.

I've had one forabout eight years now, and it's still going strong.

Considering I paid less than ten dollars for it, I'm happy.

I packed one in my bag, along with a bic, and I feel that as far
as lighters go, that should do me.
must be the one
with the axe.

#124450 - 02/20/08 12:34 AM Re: Survival Lighters [Re: BobS]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
i am under the impression that they are designed to fail so we have to fork out for a new one

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.