Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#124423 - 02/19/08 09:16 PM Places to buy, places to avoid?
MichaelJ Offline

Hello,

I have a little extra money that I’m going to put toward my preparedness goals. I usually just go with the cheapest I can find. If I do that now, I’ll get hammered by shipping charges. Are there particular places you prefer to shop online or locally? Also, are there places you would recommend avoiding?

Thanks,
Michael

#124424 - 02/19/08 09:22 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: MichaelJ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

As far as preparedness and survival goes, I was really happy with my experience dealing with BestGlide Aviation.

Other places I'd purchase from again include REI, MEC, and Cabela's...all have retail or online options.

#124430 - 02/19/08 10:01 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: ]
MichaelJ Offline

Does anyone here have any experience with Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com)? I like their shipping rates even if their prices are a bit higher.

#124432 - 02/19/08 10:19 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: MichaelJ]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
No experience with EE, but ... since that's the type of product line you're looking at, I'll throw out http://nitro-pak.com/

My first experience with them was maybe 20 years or so ago — before they moved the operation to Utah — when they had a brick & mortar operation in Southern Cal. Decent selection, competitive prices, free shipping over $100 purchase (read details for the few exclusions), price match on identical items (again, some modest exclusions) and a 120 day money-back guarantee.

//No affiliation except a long history as a buyer//

#124434 - 02/19/08 10:35 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: MichaelJ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Mike,

What country are you live in, I have done a lot of mail-order but almost all from Canadian stores.

Hacksaw, I have read your posts before saying that ordering survival/preparedness items from the US retailers is not overly expensive as long as you use USPS or USPS Express, not UPS due to the high GST/Duty Brokerage fees. Did I interpret this correctly? Did you get stuck with much additional duty or tax charges when using USPS?

Thanks,

Mike

#124435 - 02/19/08 10:37 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: MichaelJ]
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
Originally Posted By: MichaelJ
Does anyone here have any experience with Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com)? I like their shipping rates even if their prices are a bit higher.

I have purchased a couple of things from them and they were fine.

#124439 - 02/19/08 10:50 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: MichaelJ]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Country Comm is always good....loads of small neat things.

Ben's Backwoods has some good things and I have heard very good reports on his service....my order is not yet placed. Firesteels, some knives, Books, other assorted items.

Ragweed Forge is exceptional. Scandi knives from many places, with excellent prices and shipping that it out of this world.

Sierra Trading Post is superb...excellent prices and service on loads of clothing items. Overstocks, seconds, first line stuff with tons of high end brands at excellent prices. My #1 order place. Get on their mailing list....lots of additional percent off emails come...Sometimes free shipping offers. This place is definately worth watching for excellent stuff. I just bought an Ice Breaker wool top for $27....these sell for close to $70 retail. Not only are they the best merino wool tops to be had but at that price a definate steal.

David Morgan has unique items and exceptional service. Akubra hats, Filson, braiding leather, tons of other items.

LA Police Supply excellent prices, deals, and service (5.11 pants etc).

Edited by Schwert (02/19/08 10:53 PM)

#124440 - 02/19/08 10:52 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: MrDrysdale]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I think it’s kinda hard to give a blanket “buy from here” statement. Lots of the survival items we all want or have can be bought from so many places. Wal-Mart, K-mart, on-line from outdoor / survival suppliers, the local grocery store, department stores, home depot. The list is endless.

Better to make a list and then decide where to buy each item as no one place will have all of them.

I try to buy as much locally as I can and have had good luck finding a large amount of things I want locally. You may have to wait till summer to get many survival item as these things are also camping items and stores are prone to seasonal changes.

I also do a lot of making my own stuff or modifying an item to suit my needs.

But if needed (can’t get it locally) I will order it on-line.

Edited by BobS (02/19/08 10:57 PM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124444 - 02/19/08 11:31 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Schwert]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Schwert
Country Comm is always good....loads of small neat things.

I'm addicted to County Comm, I want one of everything they have. I can vouch for Sierra Trading Post as well.

One place I have just ordered from is basegear. Great prices and service, they ship quickly. I've put in 3 orders and no problems.

http://www.basegear.com/

Blitz

#124445 - 02/19/08 11:42 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Blitz]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I think it depends on what you're buying.

Bona Na Croin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.