The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#124607 - 02/21/08 03:13 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Stretch]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I've always felt that a person who carries a knife openly is usually much less dangerous than the person who hides it. But I think Dan's comments are spot on. Part of the responsibility of carrying a knife is about social interaction. Like it or not, our socio-political environments often make carrying a knife somewhat difficult, especially when traveling.

If you are courteous, not flashy, and generally don't look like a grizzled crazy, you're doing everyone who carries a knife a favor by making it appear more socially acceptable. Any time I use one in public, I'm careful to take in my surroundings and keep it calm and cool. I hope everyone else does the same.

Now, even if I, a daily knife carrier (ok - 3-4 knives at any time) see someone at McDonald's pull out a 5" blade, I'm going to take notice and keep an eye on them. There are different knives for different places and it seems that it's sort of obvious to most, but perhaps not all.

#124609 - 02/21/08 03:32 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: massacre]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: massacre
I've always felt that a person who carries a knife openly is usually much less dangerous than the person who hides it. But I think Dan's comments are spot on. Part of the responsibility of carrying a knife is about social interaction. Like it or not, our socio-political environments often make carrying a knife somewhat difficult, especially when traveling.

If you are courteous, not flashy, and generally don't look like a grizzled crazy, you're doing everyone who carries a knife a favor by making it appear more socially acceptable. Any time I use one in public, I'm careful to take in my surroundings and keep it calm and cool. I hope everyone else does the same.

Now, even if I, a daily knife carrier (ok - 3-4 knives at any time) see someone at McDonald's pull out a 5" blade, I'm going to take notice and keep an eye on them. There are different knives for different places and it seems that it's sort of obvious to most, but perhaps not all.

It depends on how many Zombies are around. mad (I hate Zombies.)

Seriously though I don't display anything unless I have to. In such a case, it is usually in the slowest most awkward way I can.

Personally I believe it's a need to know basis.

I'm not gonna wip anything out unless requested.

Blitz

#124760 - 02/22/08 01:01 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: massacre]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
i look a little crazed grizzly does that count????? I have no problem using any of my (6 or so) EDC knives at any time.

#124767 - 02/22/08 01:44 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: REDDOG79]
flyboyx Offline
Stranger

well guys, i personally carry either the old SOGwinder, or the full size tanto KA-Bar.

#124772 - 02/22/08 02:16 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: flyboyx]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Carying the latter would get you some sideways looks and maybe a talking to by the local boys in blue around here even though it's not illegal.

#124904 - 02/23/08 12:14 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Even then I really imagine a police officer wouldn't give me a third look unless someone was complaining, and then he'd be on my side unless he was a complete prick.

It only takes one time to restructure that view. Hopefully it goes swimmingly.

#125668 - 02/28/08 11:20 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Art_in_FL]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
OK, my new SAK classic with integrated Whistle arrived a few days ago. However I thought I would wait until I had some experience with it before posting.

Overall, as Doug says, it is a pretty good bit of kit. It weighs next to nothing and happily sits next to a regular door key lengthwise. The one red scale is oversized to accomodate the whistle, which is reasonable loud. Not Fox 40 level, but it is not even as large as the flat Micro version of the Fox 40 so it is pretty impressive. Overall I would recommend it, especially for people who cannot easily carry/conceal anything larger such as people that have to wear a business suit and also a first knife for kids, where the whistle is a great little addition.

It seems the Classic with Whistle is a North American model of SAK. I got mine from 7dayshop.com who I would recommend to any UK based readers as they are local and avoid the VAT by being based in the Channel Islands.

#125698 - 02/29/08 01:08 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Recently I've heard that police here are confiscating assisted opening knives like my Kershaw...good thing I can turn it off.

This kind of behavior pisses me off. A cop can't just "confiscate" your stuff (at least in the US). I seem to recall something written by a bunch of wig-wearing men, a few centuries back, writing that people can't be deprived of property without due process...

#125704 - 02/29/08 01:35 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: MDinana]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Recently I've heard that police here are confiscating assisted opening knives like my Kershaw...good thing I can turn it off.

This kind of behavior pisses me off. A cop can't just "confiscate" your stuff (at least in the US). I seem to recall something written by a bunch of wig-wearing men, a few centuries back, writing that people can't be deprived of property without due process...

And you're going to stop them exactly HOW? They look at you and say "_I_ say it's a switchblade/gravity knife" (they go to flick it and touch te assist bump). Argue, you find yourself in cuffs, being arrested for carrying a switchblade, and them saying "Tell it to the judge and jury". I might win your case (that it's NOT a switchblade), but it's going to cost you, and there is a chance you'll lose too, and at least around here, a switchblade CAN get you the same amount of time as an unlicensed pistol (aka 3 years+)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#125771 - 02/29/08 02:00 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: MDinana]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Unless you are willing to escalate the issue and deal with all the hassles associated with such action, of which there will be plenty, yes they can. Like someone else said, what are you going to do about it? I gaurantee you arguing with a NYC cop about such a thing in public is only going to end up in a physical confrontation with you likely to get your head knuckled. You think zero tolerance is just at public schools, try taking your knife back from a uniformed cop at a subway stop in Manhattan. I gaurantee you a bad day then.

I don't like it anymore than the next guy, and I've already had my run in with them over my little SAK classic. Believe me, it is worth it just to let him have his way and walk down to the luggage store and pick up another for $20. Once he's made up his mind, you are not going to change it, but you might give him a good reason to take out his stress and frustration.

The principle ideal is a sound. Our rights ought not be infringed, but the reality is it just isn't worth the effort. It is the way things work now, and it is not going to accomodate our rights that way any more.

Don't use it unless you really need to, and be prepared to give it up to The Man unless things go all heck and it's every man for himself then.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.