Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#124219 - 02/18/08 02:10 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: GarlyDog]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Like I said, I don't.....but the Misses doesn't like freaking the average person out. Its easier to use a smaller knife, keep the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. calm and the Misses happy......
On a side note I still remember "losing" a cold steel voyager, 5" blade at Universal Studios Orlando.... The look at lost and found from the clerk was great laugh I still remember describing it. When I got to the "5 inch blade" part he stopped me cold, walked to the back and returned my knife to me. His words "what the hell you need with such a large knife in here for? Hunting?" I just replied "nope, but if I wanted to its always nice to know I could"

#124228 - 02/18/08 03:38 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: hikermor]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I love being in the military where the reaction is far and away "Cool, what are you carrying" rather then "EEK! What are you carrying".

Out in public though, I carry SAK either a Tinker or Bantam and a smaller fix blade. The SAK has got to be the ultimate in fluffy feel good knives, but I just can't resist the comfort of a fix blade on my belt.

#124238 - 02/18/08 05:05 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: GarlyDog]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, you still gots to be careful. There are brandishing and affray laws on the books that make it unlawful to use just about anything short of a limp noodle to intimidate others. The rotten part is who defines the intimidation, and when someone who doesn't think the way you do goes whining to the nearest LEO that you "threatened" them with your knife by opening it and brandishing it in public, well, you can get the idea how this goes down. You might not get arrested, the LEO might not take the knife from you, but you will at least have to present him with it, deal with the hassle, do some explaining, and likely get a warning that marks you in his memory the next time he might see you. I know, it ain't right, but this is the reality of the world we live in, and the sad fact is those who don't want to control more and more those that do (fill in the blank). Such thinking is what has led us to these wonderful zero tolerance policies that our kids are stuck dealing with.

Legal length or not, you just can't walk around with an open knife of any size in your hand these days and not expect to have problems. I don't care about getting "the look", but I don't like it when the LEO has to come talk to me about it, and I don't really think they appreciate it much either.

#124267 - 02/18/08 08:17 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: benjammin]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good point on the reaction from the LEOs.

By law and policy if someone says something about you having a knife and being worried, made uncomfortable or startled by it they have to stop what they are doing and talk to you to determine what happened and what your intentions are. They are unlikely to appreciate the waste of time that goes with most 'armed man' calls.

Point being that it pays to take others feelings and thoughts into account before too casually 'whipping it out'. Some people may be enthusiastic about seeing your knife. Others shocked and made uncomfortable. A lot of the reaction depends on how you couch it.

With a person easily worried and startled you might simply suggest that because you have to use some tools they might want to step back so they won't get hurt as you work. Politeness and courtesy are free and they pay big dividends.

Years ago a guy robbed a pair of old ladies. After the police caught him the ladies declined to press charges because he had been so polite. Even a thief can benefit from the touch of class lent by being polite and courteous.

#124272 - 02/18/08 08:47 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: benjammin]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Well, you still gots to be careful. There are brandishing and affray laws on the books that make it unlawful to use just about anything short of a limp noodle to intimidate others. The rotten part is who defines the intimidation, and when someone who doesn't think the way you do goes whining to the nearest LEO that you "threatened" them with your knife by opening it and brandishing it in public, well, you can get the idea how this goes down. You might not get arrested, the LEO might not take the knife from you, but you will at least have to present him with it, deal with the hassle, do some explaining, and likely get a warning that marks you in his memory the next time he might see you. I know, it ain't right, but this is the reality of the world we live in, and the sad fact is those who don't want to control more and more those that do (fill in the blank). Such thinking is what has led us to these wonderful zero tolerance policies that our kids are stuck dealing with.

Legal length or not, you just can't walk around with an open knife of any size in your hand these days and not expect to have problems. I don't care about getting "the look", but I don't like it when the LEO has to come talk to me about it, and I don't really think they appreciate it much either.

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Need to be careful. But we cannot stop carrying and using.

If you start being afraid to carry or use it for an honorable reason, because of the kind of reaction you might get, then the person carrying it, you on the rare occasion, becomes even more unusual. And it becomes even easier to look at such a person as someone just out there to intimidate or threaten the public. When we start hiding our knives all the time, we stop being able to carry them.

First your ability to carry one thing goes, then you ability to carry something else goes too. Soon enough, picking up a stick could be looked at as criminal.

Heck, my wife was is surprised sometimes at me carrying what I do carry. Then I point out the larger knives in the kitchen.

#124274 - 02/18/08 08:49 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Recently I've heard that police here are confiscating assisted opening knives like my Kershaw...good thing I can turn it off.

I've even heard of people having their knives confiscated then going back to where they bought it and demanding their money back LOL.

#124278 - 02/18/08 09:20 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: benjammin]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: benjammin
You might not get arrested, the LEO might not take the knife from you, but you will at least have to present him with it, deal with the hassle, do some explaining, and likely get a warning that marks you in his memory the next time he might see you.

Has this happened to you? Has this happened to anyone reading this thread? Have any LEO's in the group had to have this conversation with someone who it turns out was using lawful pocket knife for a legit reason and just accidentally intimidated someone to a point where they called the police?

Granted. Discretion is never a bad thing when it comes to using knives.

Edited by GarlyDog (02/18/08 11:55 PM)

#124280 - 02/18/08 09:38 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
Recently I've heard that police here are confiscating assisted opening knives like my Kershaw...good thing I can turn it off.

I've even heard of people having their knives confiscated then going back to where they bought it and demanding their money back LOL.

The "click" of a Kershaw tends to draw stares. And not the admiring or inquisitive kind. The phrase 'Dumbing down' comes to mind. I'm referring to the tool of course.

#124285 - 02/18/08 10:34 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: LED]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Does anyone know the rules of a 13 year old like me carrieng my assisted opening SOG2?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#124292 - 02/18/08 11:22 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: climberslacker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I guess it would depend on the jurisdiction where you live? I sure would not take it to school.

Mike

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.