Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#124072 - 02/16/08 09:27 PM Looking for an axe recommendation
Hacksaw
Unregistered

So I've decided that I need to own a small axe like the Granfors Bruks Forrest axe only I have some fairly specific criteria so I wanted to know what you folks recommend. All the axes I've used in the past have been cheap hardware store axes and haven't impressed me...which is why I don't carry one into the bush. I think that's a shame since it's such a useful tool in these parts especially in winter. I convinced myself I could do without but even a day hike or overnight stay in a national park becomes a fireless one since I'm finding more and more that the 'cut' wood they stock in the parks means they cut the tree into 2 foot sections with a chain saw and that's it.

• It needs to be small enough to carry and use with one hand but big enough to use with 2. Handle no longer than 24", head no heavier than 2.5 lbs.
  • Must be a capable splitting axe (knotty, frozen, and green wood alike) but still multipurpose and not a dedicated splitting maul.
  • Must either have a a near indestructible handle or a straighter wooden handle which can be replaced in the field without being a master carver.
  • I'll need to be able to sharpen the edge in the field (ie: No super hard steel) but the better it will hold an edge the better.
  • It can't break the bank. $100+ for a Granfors isn't an option as much as I like those axes.
  • I'd like to be able to find it locally so I can hold and feel before I buy.

I've done some internet searching and there seem to be a plethora of axes in different styles (both new and traditional) available for 20-50 bucks. Unfortunately I don't know anything about brands or the styles to know if they're any good...I'm sure many of them are cheap and not just inexpensive.

#124077 - 02/16/08 11:51 PM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Lots of folks seem to like the Gerber axes:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...p;cm_ite=netcon

I have the Camp Axe, which is probably the one that matches your specs most. I wish its head was a bit heavier. I guess the handle is pretty much indestructable. Mine has held up well so far.

One axe that I've been interested in, but haven't yet handled/purchased is the Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay Camping Axe at http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=2519

Its WOOD handle is 24" - so right on the edge of your specs - with a 1.75 lb head. $52.50. Its supposed to be a very good brand and made in the USA - which is big for me.

Of course its hard to know whats available in your area for handling before purchase.

#124124 - 02/17/08 05:12 PM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: ]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
"good ax" is like "good knife". Lot of personal preference.

Might want to look at Fiskars. You can probably find them at local hardware or chain stores in the less than $50 range.

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores...ategoryId=10277

Edited by Ron (02/17/08 05:14 PM)

#124133 - 02/17/08 07:24 PM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: KenK]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
The Estwing 26" camp axe sounds like it should fit the bill for you, except in may be a tad heavy. I know for a fact that they are indistructable we use them for demolition. They are fairly easy to sharpen and are wide enough to use in splitting wood. You should be able to find them at any larger hardware store that sells Estwing hammers.

#124163 - 02/17/08 10:30 PM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: raydarkhorse]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I use an Estwing 26" axe quite a bit but for an odd job, I keep one on my snowmobile for checking ice thickness. It is very easy to break a wooden handled axe while chopping ice and the Estwing is near indestructable, because of this feature they are often found in small airplane survival kits. I also use it to clear deadfall on the trails and cut firewood when needed. The blade is quite thin so it is a poor splitter and often sticks in tough blocks of wood. It also glances badly and I am not crazy about how the heel of the blade sweeps in deeply toward the back of the head.

So it is not my favourite axe to use but it is the toughest one I own, therefore it sees a lot of field time. The axe will rust and it is a prime target for thieves because it looks expensive. I spray painted all but the cutting face of the axe with black rustproof paint and therefore it blends in, drawing less attention when mounted on my snowmobile or ATV carrier. In less demanding situations I usually camp with a 28" wooden handled axe with a 2 1/2lb head (called a Pulpwood, Boys or 3/4 axe); the extra mass, wider head and longer handle cut/split better and are safer.

Hacksaw - Knowing that you live in Canada, this Estwing axe goes on sale at Canadian Tire a couple of times a year (30 - 50 % off) this is where I bought mine. Canadian Tire also markets a heavier version (CT brand I think) that splits better but is not as handy.

(I have no affiliation with Canadian Tire Corp. other than I am addicted to their weekly sale flyer).

At present I am thinking of a Wetterling's Long Hunting axe for times when I am away from the vehicle. A good comparison of this axe with a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe can be found here http://outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?article147

I googled Wetterling's in Canada and found a few hits including this one in Saskatoon http://www.sworddepot.com/S_A_Wetterling_Axes_cid649.html they may also be marketed under the Husqvarna name so chainsaw shops may also stock them.

Good Luck buying an axe, like shopping for any outdoor gear, it can be really fun.

Mike

#124171 - 02/18/08 12:11 AM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: ]
widget Offline
Addict

How about a Wetterlings axe? Hand forged in Sweden and priced very well. They are as close as you can get to a Granfors Bruks without the high prices.

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Categories?category=Axes%3AWetterlings

#124172 - 02/18/08 12:58 AM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: widget]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That comparison is really telling! I was surprised that the Wetterlings outperformed the GB on every test. I've seen those Roselli axes too. I like the straighter handle and wedgier head for splitting. I also like that Hudson's Bay axe...seems to have the perfect dimensions.

I would never buy a hand forged axe with a wood handle online however...too risky.

I've been trying to find a place in Edmonton that sells forestry supplies...I think that's my best chance to touch and feel something of quality before I buy. I went to every hardware store I could find before I made that post and they almost all seem to have the typical fiberglass or poor quality wood handles, mass produced head with asymmetrical bevels, blunt edges, and awkward balances.

The exception are the Fiskars axes which are very good quality with strong, light handles. I've heard almost too many pros and cons to commit to buying one of these yet...their wide range of sizes make selecting just one hard too. I'm a huge Gerber/Fiskars fan which is why I'm hesitant...I don't want to buy just for the name...I want good product.

#124183 - 02/18/08 04:10 AM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I have a combo axe and a somewhat large folding wood saw set that I bought from Coleman several years ago. The wood saw is great, but the axe is lacking. It works, and has held up well over the years. But it’s rubber grip handle moves around on the metal frame, it has been doing this from day-one. I am always worried it’s going to come loose and go flying. I will be interested to read the responses as to what is a good quality axe to buy.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124194 - 02/18/08 07:04 AM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I just saw this and I'm super interested in finding somebody who sells the set locally.

http://www.snowandnealley.com/products/giftsets/skgs.htm

I love the Hudson's Bay style but the camp axe is a bit too big to tote around. With the set I'd have a small splitting maul for car camping too.

Going to phone them ASAP to see if there are any dealers around here. Lots of online retailers but I'm still hesitant to order over the internet.

#124226 - 02/18/08 03:29 PM Re: Looking for an axe recommendation [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Hacksaw,

From what I have read the Snow and Neally Brand of axes are of good quality, but I have never handled one.

The butt of the axe you linked to has a rather large knob on it, I have only seen these on mauls or picks before, does anyone have any experience with this style? I suspect that unless your hands were very large this size of knob may prove awkward and unconfortable over time.

I also like the look of the Hudson Bay Camp Axe, it is heavier but will do a lot more work for you with the same effort and be safer to use.

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.