Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#124152 - 02/17/08 09:01 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update: video demo [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
BLAST,

Terrific video, I really enjoyed it.

Your casual, honest style and discussion of experiences that actually happened to you make you very credible, I think you would make a very good nature show host.

Where do I cast my vote?

Mike

#124157 - 02/17/08 09:47 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update: video demo [Re: SwampDonkey]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
+1 vote for blast.

Don't like the glasses though... You should have weared those metal goggles... grin

#124162 - 02/17/08 10:23 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update: video demo [Re: JIM]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Blast-

Vocal modulation - Not bad for an American. We 'Staters tend to use volume modulation rather than pitch modulation (which is how most of the rest of the world talks) to show levels of interest. Professional speech training would help you, no doubt, but right now you do a decent (i.e. better than most untrained speakers) job of casually speaking to the person behind the lens.

Physical - Your torso is a little stiff, but the main problem is your hands. You saw at the air, Blast, like a man making kindling. :-] It happens. That little red light comes on and you think, "I can't just talk. I must do something with these things hanging in front of me." Relax. Meaning comes from your face, your mind and your spine, nothing else. This is a very common problem, and every tape submitted likely has it to some degree. Sticking your hands in your pockets is not an option, but remember that the seams of your jeans are your best friends. Thumbs on seams! At worst, only one hand gets to move at a time. Anything else is too distracting.

It's a solid tape. Good luck with your audition.

Jaywalke
J.Walke
Jim Walke, member of Actors' Equity Association, the professional stage actors' union

#124167 - 02/17/08 10:46 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update: video demo [Re: Blast]
librarian Offline

Loc: Conroe, Texas
Great video, Blast! You came across as knowledgeable, enthusiatic, good humored, entertaining, and eager to go on an adventure! Good luck!

#124170 - 02/17/08 11:24 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update: video demo [Re: jaywalke]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Jim,

Thank you for the feedback! I showed the tape to an professional actor I know and he called them "pizza hands", like I'm carrying pizzas through a crowd. I like the idea of keeping one thumb hooked in my pocket, that'll definately help control my signalling to aircraft. shocked

I have never heard about pitch modulation but it sounds appropriate. I'll definately look more into that. Are there any particular vocal excersizes you do to to imporove pitch modulation? PM me if you have any tips.

Most of my public speaking is done to international groups of scientists in big lecture halls. Humor doesn't translate well so my scientist stage persona is very different from my normal personality. I tried to break out of lecture mode a lot but it was hard. Having only a day to prepare the video, everything was off the top of my head. With a bit of script-writing time and a some practice I hope it would have been better.

Now we wait.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#124203 - 02/18/08 12:47 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update: video demo [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Great Job Blast, couldn't watch the whole thing being at work and all, (yeah sometimes they expect me to do something) frown , but what I saw was excellent. You got my vote.

Best of Luck!!

Blitz

#124231 - 02/18/08 04:14 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update: video demo [Re: Blitz]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Blast,

Great video. Nicely presented. I like your vocabulary. Your choice of words was wonderful. I believe you are past the "diamond in the rough" stage and need just a little polish and training. The lecture circuit no doubt helps with the overall speaking. You'll do fine.

I couldn't help but split my sides laughing when you are talking about defending against the mountain lion...

"Kitty...back off!!!"

That was hilarious!!! Especially coming from the world's foremost cat bather.

I am on your side brother....

#124570 - 02/20/08 11:57 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Blast,

I love it at the end "Brahhhh I'm a lion!" Funny $#!^. stuff. You could be a twin of my older brother.

Blitz

#127251 - 03/13/08 11:04 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update [Re: Blitz]
yellowfin Offline
Stranger

So what is the latest? Blast, did you ever hear anything from them?

#127254 - 03/13/08 11:26 PM Re: Casting Wildlife Expert update [Re: yellowfin]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Newguy, Yellowfin,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the ETS Forum, this is a fun place!

Mike

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
4 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle, sgt253, Ren), 200 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
25 minutes 15 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.