Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#125843 - 03/01/08 03:30 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: SwampDonkey]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
Tonight I was dining at a nice restaurant (Rafferty's in Knoxville, TN) and i ordered the prime rib. While they bring a knife (if you can call the full serrated bad handled piece of steel a knife) with my steak I much rather preferred to use my own as it cut much better and the serrated one tears the meat more than it cuts it. As far as I know no one noticed me cutting my steak with my RSK and everything was fine. I also made a point of opening it slowly and using it like any other tool. If you open a knife with a fluorish and make it attention getting all you are doing is asking for trouble.

#125855 - 03/01/08 09:56 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: massacre]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: massacre
From what I understand of it, if there's not a "release button" it's not a switchblade because it's not automatic. An automatic stores energy and instantly opens the knife after that energy is released. An assisted opener is just that, it uses leverage/gearing to make the opening easier and faster, but the user still has to apply force throughout the open. If your assisted opener is spring loaded or otherwise opens with an instant release, you may be treading on thin ice.

You are, of course, right. But it falls under the "the nub of the blade is a button""No it's not, the courts have ruled it's not" "Tell it to the judge" (as he slips on the nice stainless steel jewelry on your wrists
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#125856 - 03/01/08 09:58 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: haertig]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: haertig
I never really understood the desire for an assisted opener. ...snip...

I own one - I wish it wasn't an assisted opener, but for a 230V small knife, in a blade shape I wanted (spear point) it was my ONLY choice - if offered in a NON assisted opener, I would have bought that
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#125857 - 03/01/08 10:19 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: KG2V]
JRJ Offline

I have a SOG Twitch II That I EDC. I love it. It is an AO. I especially love it when I'm hanging around, exhausted, needing to strip some wire or ream out a hole and using 2 hands will quickly lead to my death. My only complaint is the blade has about 1mm of play.

Whipping a knife out in public has never been a problem for me. If I have a real need to pull my knife out then I do. Maybe because The blade is under 3"? Maybe it's because I do it with authority! (LOL) Maybe I look trustworthy? Really if you are using it for a legit purpose folks do not pay it any mind. Anyway's that has been my experience around the DFW metroplex.

-JRJ

#125858 - 03/01/08 11:00 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: JRJ]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
FWIW My DW and I flew to St. Louis last week and she forgot she had a Cabelas "mini-tool" and so they asked her to put it in her checked luggage or mail it home which is what she chose to do, $5.10 later it is in the "hands" of TSA headed home. I (we) thought anything under 3" was acceptable to carry on the plane guess not.

Mike

#125903 - 03/01/08 09:07 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: SwampDonkey]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I had the same response from co-workers at work when I whip out my leatherman Ti tool. I want to use the screw driver to secure the laptop screws.

co-workers thought I am some hard core fanatic survivalist. They stared at me for few seconds.

#126099 - 03/03/08 04:21 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Tis a sad indictment of the day and age in which we find ourselves, that good people willing to take responsibility for themselves and render aid to those in need should be first regarded as fanatics or extremists.

I'll paraphrase Teddy's advice some to fit the case: Walk softly, and carry a sharp knife.

#126127 - 03/03/08 02:54 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: picard120]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: picard120
I had the same response from co-workers at work when I whip out my leatherman Ti tool. I want to use the screw driver to secure the laptop screws.

co-workers thought I am some hard core fanatic survivalist. They stared at me for few seconds.

I get those same looks, and frankly, I kind of revel in them.

I might even let them know I enjoy pulling the trigger on a firearm, which often gets me a look, from another New Yorker, like I just sprouted my fourth head.

I also them may preach a little about how a knife is a tool, that one should never be without, and in this day and age, if you are going to carry one thing with you all the time, besides your wallet keys and cell phone, a good multi-tool should be it.

My confession would be that I am only rarely willing to wear my multitool on my belt, as that is often asking for attention.

And the only thing I have ever been able to bring on a plane, in the past five years, that is anything like a knife is a P-51 can opener, which recently has made in through the metal detectors in at least one courthouse and two airports.

#126251 - 03/04/08 01:46 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Dan_McI]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
My small first aid kit I carry has a pari of bandage scissors that have a 1inch blade and total length of 4 inches, it pass fine. I also have a knockoff P-51 with a spoon on it that is in the first aid kit as well they may look but I get on the plane with all my stuff. Thouhg my wife was depresssed because they took here suntan lotion, guess I didn't pay attention to her packing.
Cheers

#126253 - 03/04/08 02:02 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: BrianTexas]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
My daughter went to college last year and the best thing she said she had was a Mora knive and a rolle of duct tape. She has a PSK she carries in here Camelback and it is alway handy when she goes hiking or snowboarding. She also has a old Gerber she carries in her purse, just has to remember to pack it in check baggage.
cheers

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.