Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#123922 - 02/15/08 01:32 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: duckear]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I just clip my Gerber Infinity to the brim of my ball cap. Flashlight and "headlamp" all in one, even if it is a little outside the box thinking.....

-Bill Liptak

#123947 - 02/15/08 03:42 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: duckear]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I use a few different kinds and NEVER go anywhere with out one. The big think I look for now is LED lights instead of Bulbs, they work great, the one I use the most has three settings; 2, 4, or 8 LED's. I also have a small one with two bulbs for short trips or to put in my fanny pack for a day hike.
boreal.net

#123953 - 02/15/08 04:34 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Art:
To each their own, for sure. I still use flashlights more often than headlamps, but its still very handy to have a spot when you need one. fwiw the Doug Ritter is very small and pocket-able, an elastic head string smaller than most head lamps but bigger than the Petzl string, which I have doubts about. And while the CR2032 battery will never be as ubiquitous as AAs, its available anywhere you see the AAs (and may even be available in an emergency when someone buys up all the AAs). 2032s are not as cheap at a drugstore, but buy a couple dozen in bulk from online and they are cheaper than AAs, and they don't lose their charge. (Having a stock in hand of your neccessary light fuel is the very definition of equipped). And price for headlamps is deceiving, you can pay alot for good quality lights that run at reduced temps, but the Doug Ritter is $14.95, and I have seen the PrincetonTec EOS lots of folks have mentioned for sale for $27.95.

Every product is a compromise, find the one that fits you.

#123968 - 02/15/08 07:16 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Lono]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I have used the nite-ize band and its pretty handy. My only complaint is that it is hard to center the light. It does fit almost any 2xAA light so its versatile.

A small Surefire clipped to a hat bill works well too. The E1L works well for that application.

#123978 - 02/15/08 08:28 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Bob]
RobertNielsen Offline
former wild SAR operator
Stranger

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Greetings,

As far as led flashlights go, I prefer the 9 volt Pak-Lite.

http://www.9voltlight.com

They sell a simple and inexpensive headband to be used with their flashlights.

http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/277

The entire setup is quite versatile and packs quite small.

Cheers,
Robert

#124000 - 02/15/08 11:55 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Art_in_FL]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
My solution is to get any of the many reliable two-cell AA or AA flashlights and a Nite-Ize, or its generic equivalent, headband ... Functionally I see little difference between a side mounted light and a center mounted one.
I have one of those Nite-Ize headbands and never use it. The biggest problem with those (for me) is aiming. For one, it's just generally not very easy to accomplish. Second, when you use a Mini-Mag or similar light those don't have anywhere near as wide a dispersal pattern as a well designed headlamp. So that makes aiming even more critical, and it's already difficult to do in the first place. If you wear it on the right side of your head, your left vision is not so well illuminated because the flashlight does not always protrude quite far enough forward to clear the front of your head (depends on the size of flashlight you are using).

The Zipka+ I use is far smaller than any flashlight/headband combo. I find it much more comfortable too due to it's very light weight and no wide elastic headband giving you that constricted feeling. I was initially worried about the durability of the Zipkas retractable string, but mine has lasted me at least three years with zero problems. I am careful and deliberate in putting it on and taking it off however. You quickly learn that pulling it off one-handed from the front will get your fingers whacked by the retractor. But that whack is somewhat padded by the hair wad it yanks out of your head as it retracts in one-hand mode. Note to self: ALWAYS use two hands!

#124012 - 02/16/08 01:57 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: haertig]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Art, you need to "experience" the EOS. Be the EOS. Love the EOS.

The EOS is small - certainly no bigger than most double-AA lights (I store mine with the strap wrapped around the body in a tiny snack-sized plastic bag), no external wires to wear, takes common AAA batteries, is easy to hold in the hand when used off the head, easily fits in the palm of my hand, (I do that a lot - think of the strap as a stretchy lanyard), has great battery life (13ish hours on medium, which is what I use the most), rides VERY comfortably on my head, and can be purchased for only $27.50 at brightguy.com.

Oh, and no spring-loaded strings to mess up my hairdoo! :-o

#124047 - 02/16/08 05:14 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: duckear]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Vizion 3AAA eLed. www.underwaterkinetics.com Waterproof. Narrow, diffuse, and red rotating filters built-in. Knob adjust beam up or down. Sealed, waterproof push button off and on. Converts to a lantern.

#124755 - 02/22/08 12:21 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: duckear]
tdr2758 Offline
Stranger

I have used Petzl headlamps for over 15 years. I do not like the LED type because they don't shine as far- they are great for close in stuff. My favorite Petzl is the 4.5 volt standard twist bezel type- batterys last a long time. The second choice is the 4AA type twist bezel type. The website dosen't show either. Check ebay and probably pick one up cheap. I use them alot for work, hunting, and around the house. Try one of those.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.