Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#123807 - 02/14/08 03:59 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Bob]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I won't recommend a brand, as there are several good ones already mentioned.

I have two other comments, though. I've used both LED and incandescent head lamps. I much prefer incandescent for two reasons: they preserve color fidelity, and they can be focused. LEDs are okay if you need a broad swath of light, but I prefer to be able to focus a spot where I need it, and I much prefer being able to tell colors correctly.

Second, be sure you get a lamp with an on-off switch you can use without seeing and with some ease of use. I've had sliding switches that I had to fumble around to find, and I've had switches that eventually jammed so tight I had to take the lamp off and use both hands to slide the switch. If you use the headlamp outdoors or store it in a car, it will get dirt in it.

#123808 - 02/14/08 03:59 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Bob]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

I think the Arc AAA is my favorite and most versatile light I own. It is tiny (not much bigger than a AAA cell) rugged (accidentally ran through the laundry without harm) takes a single, ubiquitous AAA (obviously), and by adding a handy clip for a AAA Maglight will clip right to the visor of a hat brim. So it's a combo clip and handheld light. It has some sort of electronic circuit that boosts the voltage so it's a really bright light on a single cell.

David

#123809 - 02/14/08 04:14 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: bigmbogo]
aeaas Offline
Stranger

Loc: Boulder, CO
I have a black diamond model that they don't make anymore, but the Icon is pretty close (mine has a much simpler bulb system)

http://www.bdel.com/gear/icon.php

one thing I would throw out, after a lot of use, is to get one with the third strap over your head, esp. for a BOB where you don't have to worry about size (as much) as when you carry it. I have used a two strap (head band style) and wasn't happy. The third band going over the top of your head seemed to stabilize it a lot for me.

ok ok, one more more thing is to consider what type of batteries are already in your BOB, if you don't have any AAA batteries or devices in there, that speaks to sticking with the AA

This all said, I think unless you are going to use it for extended periods of time, you can't go wrong with anything from princeton tec or Petzel

#123810 - 02/14/08 04:32 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: aeaas]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Its not AA powered, but I'll put in a thumbs up for the Doug Ritter eQ multi light, http://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/pa...eQ_Multi_Light. Runs on small CR2032 batteries that cost ten cents a piece when bought in small quantities. Nice, lightweight (1 oz), easy to change the batteries. The spot light on this headlamp is super, run time is good, great for hanging bear bags in the dark or focussing on work. I wear one while working on PCs and putting chains on my car in the dark. At $14.95, I own quite a few and have them in coat pockets, door pockets, anywhere I might need a light. This is really my only non-AA light or device, but for hiking its a good choice, as replacement batteries are extremely small and light. Really good value for this headlamp. Usual disclaimer, no relation to Doug Ritter or any vendor...

#123815 - 02/14/08 07:24 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Bob]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Bob
snip...
Does anyone have a recommendation for a light with the following requirements: Head mounted (to keep my hands free), LED Light (so it doesn't burn out ... also something bright), AA batteries (so I can interchange them w/ the rest of my kit).

Thanks!

bob

An often overlooked light in this (crowded) field...

The (IIRC discontinued) Black Diamond Zenix IQ. It takes 2 AA batteries (lithium are OK), uses 2 standard 5mm LEDs and 1 one watt LED, is IPX4 rated and weighs 112 grams w/o batteries.

According to FlashlightReviews battery life is similar (3xAAA EOS 2h 15m vs 2xAA Zenix 1h 55m) but overall output is much higher for the Zenix.

Something that is almost never mentioned but I find important is the lowest setting offered on a given light. The Zenix has a very low - low setting that is great for up close work when it's actually dark. This lets me only use the light I need and really stretch a set of batteries out. During our recent ice storms/power outages my Zenix IQ and CMG Infinity (both w/lithium AAs) were the heroes of the day... and not because they were the brightest lights I own.

With any luck they'll go on clearance soon.

$.02 smile

#123816 - 02/14/08 07:24 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Lono]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have a Petzl Tikka XP and a Princeton Tech Apex. I generally use the Tikka XP. It is lighter and easier to use and I think has a longer battery life too. I have had mine for about three or four years now and have used lithium AAA's in it from day one. It was only a year or two later that I read on a forum that lithiums were a no no. But hey, no harm no foul. I still use lithiums in mine.

Coupled with the Tikka XP is a Surefire G2 with a BugOutGear Q5 drop-in. Blazing bright! If you had that and set it down, you would have been good to go too.

And a prehensile tail could come in handy sometime.

#123821 - 02/14/08 12:25 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: aloha]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Try the following site:

http://www.e-headlamps.com/headlamps.asp

Many of the headlamps mentioned above can be found there.

I picked up a cheap energizer headlamp, when I was at my local hardware store. Just for the situation you mentioned.

So far it's proved useful, in many ways. I now know exactly what I want from a headlamp without having forked oddles of cash. Yet it's still good enough to do the job it was intended for.

#123822 - 02/14/08 12:48 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Stokie]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
If you already have a mini-mag (or similar) light, I recommend the $5 solution of a Nite-Ize Jak-Strap:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=650&memberId=12500226

#123825 - 02/14/08 01:11 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Stokie]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a Princeton Tec Apex and a Petzl Tikka +. The Princeton Tech Apex is excellent for many uses with a 3W main beam and personal area task lighting using 4 side LEDs but is slightly heavy (uses 4 AAs) and expensive for everyday use. It has an impressive light output which can also mean a short battery life using the main 3W beam even with 4 AA cells (less than 2hrs use on the main high beam). The Petzl Tikka + is much more convenient to carry but is limited in many ways because of a lack of a main beam light. The Petzl Tikka XP, I think is a much better compromise along with the Princeton Tec EOS. The Zebralight H50 looks good also being very lightweight and with a very efficient Cree Q5 emiiter, excellent for close personal tasking but again lacks a viable beam for navigational work.

But I've just ordered a cheap and cheerful Alpkit Gamma - It has lots of features - Main beam with a 1W luxeon and 3 individual red, green and white LEDs, all being individually selectable. It also has a nice touch providing red LED capability on the battery compartment so that folks can see you from behind. Best of all it only costs around $20. If only it used AAs rather than AAAs. It also looks like the battery compartment can be removed and placed in an internal pocket to keep the batteries warm also (when Alkalines cells or NiMh cells are used in cold weather).

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/

#123826 - 02/14/08 01:17 PM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Bob]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

possible hijack alert.

for headlamps, the above are all good recommendations.

for the situation you describe, go here:

http://www.gardeners.com/Dyno-Lites/20683,35-399,default,cp.html

it's small, keep stored / charged in your car's cigar lighter, and it's magnetic along the one side so it attaches most places on a car, and it's now on sale!

i paid the higher price and gave them for stocking stuffers. everyone i gave them to uses them.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.