Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#123782 - 02/14/08 01:38 AM Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps?
Bob Offline
Stranger

Last night, in an ice storm, I tried changing a flat tire and noticed a major flaw in my BOB. I donned a poncho to keep me dry, an orange safety vest to make me visible, a pair of gloves to keep my hands dry, and had half-a-dozen light sources to provide light. Unfortunately, none of those light sources could be directed where they were needed because I needed both hands to change out the tire and didn't have a prehensile tail to hold the light.

*$(#*

Does anyone have a recommendation for a light with the following requirements: Head mounted (to keep my hands free), LED Light (so it doesn't burn out ... also something bright), AA batteries (so I can interchange them w/ the rest of my kit).

Thanks!

bob

#123784 - 02/14/08 01:46 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Bob]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK

#123786 - 02/14/08 01:52 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Jackal]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Most good headlamps don't use AA's, but rather they use AAA's due to the smaller size.

I'd strongly recommend you consider the Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. Its a fantastic headlamp:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_eos.htm

The Princeton Tec Apex is their higher end LED, and it does take AA's using a battery pack that sits on the back of the strap:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm

Petzels are also good headlamps, but they they can't use lithium batteris, which is actually pretty big deal for me.

#123789 - 02/14/08 02:05 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: KenK]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have several headlamps. My favorite is the Petzel Zipka Plus. It has a retractable cord for the headband so when it's not on your head it's very small (you don't see any headband as it's retracted inside). Fits in a pocket easily.

#123792 - 02/14/08 02:17 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: haertig]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Since last spring I have been using a Petzl Tactikka Plus headlamp. It is powered by 2 AAA batteries , has 4 LED's that can be dimmed for different power settings and a flipdown red lens. I have used the light quite a lot throughout the fall hunting season and the frequent times I am in the bush. It is no spotlight, but casts a beam far enough that I have had no trouble navigating in the dark. The red lens is nice and I use it when walking into my treestand. I thought enough of the light that I gave my son one for his birthday in December.

I bought the headlamp at MEC, the link is below
http://mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618660&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302697057&bmUID=1202958419592

Mike

P.S. I apoligise for the long link, I still have not figured out how to compress these?

#123795 - 02/14/08 02:33 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: haertig]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
There are many, many headlamps in all combinations of size, brightness, runtime, modes of operation, etc. You can check out a variety at any camping store. A couple good online resources are

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ (No longer maintained but still reasonably up-to-date)

http://candlepowerforums.com/

Both have sections dedicated to headlamps.

I like my Princeton Tec Aurora for its small size, light weight, and wide beam. Downsides to it are: non-regulated electronics so it gets dimmer gradually instead of maintaining relatively constant brightness, center of beam is slightly bluish-tinted, and it casts a bit of glare down on my face (mostly fixed with electrical tape across the bottom). I also like my wife's Princeton Tec EOS for its bright concentrated beam. Both have been around a while so there may be better newer alternatives.

Steve

#123799 - 02/14/08 02:42 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: Steve]
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

In the summer I pack an Eos, it is compact with good output and long battery life but I find it difficult sometimes to turn it on/off when wearing heavy gloves or mitts.

In the winter I usually pack a Myo 3 because it uses AA Lithium batteries and has great output which can be handy for navigation with the long winter nights. It is bigger than the Eos so I don't usually pack it in the summer but it is always in the car.

Also note that some lamps will not work with lithium or rechargeable batteries so check with the manufacturer if that is a requirement for you.

#123800 - 02/14/08 02:48 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: PackRat]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I have several and my favorite is my Petzl E+Lite. Why? Because I can slip the case on my belt. The worst flashlight is the one you left at home.

#123805 - 02/14/08 03:28 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: ]
duckear Offline
Addict

google zebralight

#123806 - 02/14/08 03:55 AM Re: Anyone have a suggestion for headlamps? [Re: duckear]
timo Offline

Zebralight looks interesting but for the life of me I can't distinguish any substantial
difference between the two models. And if I'm going to spend that much money I want to know exactly what I'm paying $10 more for. The descriptions are the same ie: "the perfect light for camping, etc." except for some strange "lm" output rating.
Could this be a lumens rating?

Also, they have no USA return address, yet...The lights ship from China.

A good example of what could be a good product let down by poor marketing skills.

I like what I see, but I wonder what makes the difference between the $40 model and the $50 model and if the company is going to be around in a year to support the product.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.