Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#123896 - 02/15/08 02:42 AM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Perhaps you are not looking in the right place. It's not your daddies ham radio anymore. 40m cw?..gone. 80m ragchew??...gone.

However check out the digital HF modes. Copy signals so weak you can not hear them. PSK-32 is the primary mode, but there are several others that are very popular.

I use 3 digital satellites very regularly. Not to mention the Space Station. APRS, the position reporting and tactical communications system developed by the Naval Academy is very active.

Even 2m voice is growing. Not the local repeater type, but IRLP which links multiple repeaters into a single talk group. Then there is Echolink. I use that a lot. I can sit at my computer, link up through my satellite internet connection and pop out anywhere in the world through participating repeaters.

If I want to know if a friend is listening someplace, I send a digital message to a server (via digital radio of course) and the server replies with the friends location, the closest IRLP node, and the connection information. Then it sends my friend a message providing my closest IRLP node address and connection information. Kind like a world wide "information" system.

I am in the desert near Ajo AZ. We have about 40 trailers and motor homes gathered here. Most, like myself live this way full time. We have been at it since '97. Many are hams and we use ham radio extensively.

Today we traveled through the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range (with the Air Forces permission). We had 8 4x4 and used 2m simplex for local talk and a wide area repeater for safety back-up. Cell phone?? Nada.. Well if you were on a hill, you might hit one, but the Ajo repeater covers a huge segment of the southern AZ desert. Oh, there is also an IRLP node. So I Wanna talk to the folks back home. No problem. Go to a simplex frequency, punch in a 4 diget number an pop out in Maine.

Yes many of the repeaters are quiet. Much of HF is decaying, but there is a lot of activity, just not in the old places. Ham radio, like all technologies is in a constant state of change. The old comfortable places are gone now. Jump in, learn something new.

Oh, as we travel about the country we see a growing number of "training" nets on 2m. The one in Phoenix is a good example. Each monday night on a linked repeater system, Mike WB4ZKA provide an hour long net dedicated to the education of new hams. It has a new topic each week. Portable operation, Battery use, Mobile use, How to make a 911 call (one of the members is a 911 operator )so they placed a "real" call to the Phoenix 911 center and had the operator discuss what information was needed and how to best convey it.

If this is not happening in your area, then get behind a program to start it. I can put you in touch with Mike and perhaps he will share his knowledge.

Ham Radio is alive and well. Like I said at the beginning, it is not your daddies ham radio anymore.

73, Ron N1AHH

#123945 - 02/15/08 03:18 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: Nomad]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Nomad
Ham Radio is alive and well. Like I said at the beginning, it is not your daddies ham radio anymore.

It's nice to hear an optimistic post about the current state of amateur radio. Some amazing stuff going on there, it sounds like.

#124268 - 02/18/08 08:24 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: Arney]
fordwillman Offline

Loc: Arizona
Martin,
Some good advice from Schwert and others. I have greatly enjoyed HAM radio, but not as active now that I live in a place that allows no antennas, but I still have my handhelds. Phoenix is quite an active place for HAM radio and if your area is not--take the bull by the horns and start something!

Good to see you posting Schwert and Nomad!!!

Edited by fordwillman (02/18/08 08:25 PM)

#124302 - 02/19/08 12:50 AM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: fordwillman]
sotto Offline
Addict

Truly, I've not monitored much for quite some time. But in this area, much of the positive and interesting activity that has been mentioned used to be regularly and intentionally interfered with (jammed) to the point of uselessness by illegal operators. Sadly, some of this activity was even generated by advanced class licensees themselves. The FCC enforcement reports used to be full of it. I hope that this has burned itself out. Ham radio was once a highlight of my life, and I hope people can still get some of the charge out of it that I used to.

#124790 - 02/22/08 04:41 AM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: MartinFocazio]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
There are a lot of things affecting amateur radio:

1) Modern "instant gratification" technology
2) Public perception of amateur radio.
3) "Easier" modern technology
4) Change in the "social networking" scene around the world.

If I had to choose a communications device that has all of the following, what would I choose?

- Nationwide and/or Global Reach
- Offline message storage in case I don't answer
- Can reach all of my friends directly
- Can take it to work without people gawking over it.
- Can take on an airplane or through security and not be further scrutinized.
- Doesn't require that I take a test. Hmm... perhaps there needs to be an etiquette test for every electronic device.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.