Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#123775 - 02/14/08 12:48 AM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: BobS]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
check out

http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

for the question pool and practice tests.

I recommend taking the online tests until you are getting enough right to pass the test consistently.

Since you have already had a license just taking the online tests will likely refresh your memory enough such that you will not even have to open the book.

Then find an exam and go for it.

#123776 - 02/14/08 12:54 AM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: Schwert]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I also downloaded a general test to my palm pilot and have taken that 5 times and passed 4 of them. But I still want to read the book first.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#123785 - 02/14/08 01:50 AM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: Art_in_FL]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
I don't know.

I have never been into HAM. I can say that most of the people I see on forums talking about HAM are nut-case conspiracy theorists, anti-government 'freemen', gun nuts and ranters. Not the sorts I would feel inspired enough to spend money to talk to.

I hear the related SSB marine community has a good number of friendly, roughly normal, people who depend on it daily for information, communications and company.

Where have you been hanging out? I see more that in this forum than I've ever seen in a ham forum.

#123861 - 02/14/08 05:41 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: Lono]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Lono
...those who are qualifying and training up as part of some future emergency response don't go out and chit chat much about dipoles and ducks, as enthusiasts are prone to do.

That's actually what inspired my return to ham radio - I am setting up a 2M rig at the firehouse for emergency comms. Was just hoping that I'd hear more activity, but I have to admit, if I'm not listening, why would I expect others to be?

#123862 - 02/14/08 05:42 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: Schwert]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Schwert
The rest are volunteer responders...and spend probably zero time on traditional ham activities. Most of us are using VHF and UHF for emergency communications and training and would not be caught dead ragchewing on a repeater.

I think this sort of activity is the salvation of ham. Ham is now the low-tech solution to communications rather than the high-tech of the past. Perfect for emergency communications....archaic for chatting.

That's an interesting perspective. I think I'll need to ponder how to connect with other stations and ham operators at other stations.

#123874 - 02/14/08 08:04 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I agree that the plethora of other com capability, much of it better, is the prime reason for the decline of Ham operations. The FRS/GMRS takes place of the 2m, is cheaper and does not require everyone to be licensed. Great for hiking and travel. For long distance com, the internet takes HF any day (I do remember with great fondness the HAM operators who patched us to home while in the service in the '70's). The troops in the field today don't need them. For emergency the HF bands are great and there is (from the discussions on this group) a percieved need among some responders. From a personal standpoint VHF Marine and Aviation radio's will get help quicker. You can also talk directly to the helo pilot as he comes to get you :-))).

Respectfully,

Jerry

#123876 - 02/14/08 08:27 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: JerryFountain]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
The radio spectrum is a very valuable thing to the government. I would expect some of the amateur radio frequencies to be taken away and sold like they did with part of the 220 band.

I read someplace that the governments big push for digital TV is because digital takes up less space then analog TV signals and wants to have the extra space to sell.

There is only so much radio spectrum and an ever increasing number of devices being made to use it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#123877 - 02/14/08 08:36 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Martin,

I would look for a local RACES group in your area. ARRL may have a list on their site, but I am not certain. The local EOC may have a RACES aspect...most do on paper at least.

My RACES group serves several communities. We have radios and packet stations at each community EOC and contacts with fire and police. The group I volunteer with is then connected to the State EOC, maintains interoperability agreements with the Coast Guard, Ferries, other communities, State Police, Bomb squad, some feds and a host of others.

This network is all tied together with the various 800mHz radios and phones of the agencies and backed up by hams. It is a relatively massive net that actually has worked reasonably well in drills.

Our CERT teams are connected by ham operators to the various communities EOC's and can be deployed from central RACES command. All the EOC's in the group are connected by hams for backup traffic only, but the CERT and RACES members work directly off the ham frequencies.

So....after all that rambling, I think a local RACES group may get you into the loop. If one does not exist, then you get to form one!

#123878 - 02/14/08 08:42 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: JerryFountain]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
I agree that the plethora of other com capability, much of it better, is the prime reason for the decline of Ham operations. The FRS/GMRS takes place of the 2m, is cheaper and does not require everyone to be licensed. Great for hiking and travel.

Actually GMRS requires a license and it is relatively costly. FRS/GMRS is very very very short range due to limitations of power and antenna, and in my view are not very good at all for hiking or travel.

In a theme park where FRS radios will work (in range and in sight), there can be so many others using the same frequencies that you essentially cannot communicate.

A decent ham handheld will have more power and a much better antenna, and little if any interference with others. A much better solution and the license is easy to get to.

#123879 - 02/14/08 08:57 PM Re: Ham Radio: What The Heck Happened? [Re: Schwert]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Schwert

I would look for a local RACES group in your area. ARRL may have a list on their site, but I am not certain. The local EOC may have a RACES aspect...most do on paper at least.

I was IN the local RACES group, I even ran the nets for a while...but all in all, I found that there was little I could NOT do if RACES wasn't at the station during flooding.

Quite honestly, my Verizon laptop wireless card is a pretty remarkable thing, and I've found that with it and a little extra gear, we have quite a communications hub...in fact...I'll post an idea I'm working on a bit later.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.