Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#123379 - 02/11/08 04:08 AM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer disease, especially when used in cooking food

I dont have any references right now but I think Google can help

#123381 - 02/11/08 05:50 AM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: Blitz]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'd go with stainless or anodized aluminum. If weight isn't a big issue stainless is the way to go. Don't have to worry about metal utensils scratching it up and its way easier to clean.

#123391 - 02/11/08 11:17 AM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: LED]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Published Thursday 20th April 2006 in Research news

Comment from the Alzheimer’s Society.

'There is no conclusive medical or scientific evidence of a link between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease. There have been three independent scientific enquiries into the Camelford incident, none of which have found a causal link with dementia.

Whilst this is a sad and tragic incident, it should not lead to wider panic. Aluminium is one of the most abundant minerals in the world, and worldwide research has not found any evidence that exposure to everyday levels of aluminium is a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease.

The Alzheimer's Society offers help and support to families affected by dementia throughout the country and we would be happy to offer advice to any families living in the Camelford area.

We still do not know what causes Alzheimer's disease, and until this time the Alzheimer's Society supports all research into potential causes and cures.'

Clive Evers
Director of Information and Education

The Sock

#123402 - 02/11/08 02:17 PM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
First I'll have to say that I don't really cook over an open fire that much except for dutch oven cooking. I'm a stove guy. I find it too hard to regulate temperature and the pots are such a dirty mess to deal with.

If you're car camping then take a look at the Open Country cookware. They're not the best, thickest material, but they pack well, come in sizes suitable for most needs, and are convenient. I prefer the 6-person deluxe camp cookset since it has more sizes of pots. Big pots are great for boiling water, but smaller pots can be much more convenient.

For cooking over an open fire it is hard to beat cast iron dutch ovens and fry pans, whether used as ovens (over/under coals) or as a pot (hung over the fire). For that I'd recommend the Lodge dutch ovens sized to meet your needs.

I like this dutch oven gear site: http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/catalog.html

If you want something smaller - more personal - then take a look the GSI Outdoors Bugaboo or Hard Anodized Extreme cooksets sized to suit your needs. I use the Bugaboo pots/pans.

For open fire cooking I do think cast iron is the way to go.

#123403 - 02/11/08 02:32 PM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've switched to anodized aluminum recently for my backpack gear. Here's why:

It is still lightweight
It is more stick resistant than plain aluminum or stainless
It can be seasoned almost like cast iron
It is just thick enough it distrubutes the heat more evenly
It is easier to clean
It does not alter the taste of food cooked in it
It is becoming as economical as stainless cookware
It resists wear better

If I had a mule to pack my gear instead of putting it on my back, I would use cast iron for everything except the coffee pot to cook with. Nothing does better with a wood fire.

#123416 - 02/11/08 04:26 PM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I've switched to anodized aluminum recently for my backpack gear.

Is your anodized aluminum cookware teflon coated?

I was surprised to find an "expert" on one of the backpacking sites recommending teflon coated cookware over the naked stuff - mostly to avoid issues of badly sticking food.

Part of me likes teflon and part of me hates it. When on the boundary waters there was no shortage of sand to scrub pots clean (and remove teflon), but in other areas scrubbing is no fun at all.

#123428 - 02/11/08 05:57 PM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
No, my anodized cookware is not teflon coated.

However, any cookware you can season will be stick resistant. Anodized aluminum cookware can be seasoned and while not quite as slick as teflon, it will usually be enough to release most food items. Seasoning also greatly aids in cleanup. My anodized cookware is seasoned and works just fine.

Circulon coating seems pretty durable. I've been using a set for 10 years now at home and it is as good at non-stick today as it was the day I bought it. I've used a little extra care with it than the usual "throw it in the cupboard" cheap aluminum teflon stuff. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any dedicated camp cookware in circulon yet.

Even the regualar teflon coated pans today seem better than what I remember from a decade ago.

Regardless, seasoned cookware seems to clean up with a minimum of water, soap and effort, compared to the rest.

Seasoning anodized cookware is not much different from seasoning cast iron, except there's no need to season the outside of the pot/pan. I usually apply a very light coat of vegetable shortening to the inside, set it upside down over a drip pan in the oven at home, and bake at 400 degrees for about 90 minutes. I don't like to get aluminum cookware much hotter than that for so long because I am not sure it will take the heat without warping badly. Anyways, coat and cook it like that a couple times and it should be good to go.

#123433 - 02/11/08 06:58 PM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: benjammin]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Benjammin,

Do you have a link or the manufacturer? I haven't seen any anodized without the teflon coating. Is it camping cookware or regular kitchen cookware?

Thanks

Blitz

#123439 - 02/11/08 07:37 PM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: Blitz]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Anodized aluminum is also non reactive so you don't have to worry about highly acidic or alkalytic foods like you do with bare aluminum.

#123441 - 02/11/08 07:43 PM Re: Camp Cook Ware Opinions [Re: Blitz]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Blitz,

My take, after too many years of trying -- (Drum Roll)

IT DEPENDS!!!!

Of course you knew that was comming. ;_)

I have used (and continue to use) aluminum for lots of my cookware. It heats fast, is light and fuel effecient. It also leaves a taste, especially if you cook tomato sauce, unless it is coated. BUT - it does not "cook" well. It carries heat so fast that it has very uneven heat and tends to stick and burn spots. It is worse on an open fire or a blowtorch (my MSR XGK). Not as bad if you have a stove that will simmer (my old Svea). If you are boiling water for tea or freeze dried foods - not a problem. If you need to cook the FD (altitude) or want to make pancakes or other foods then you might consider steel.

Steel cookware is heavier but tougher (I carry lots of rocks in my pack). It also cooks LOTS better - important if you cook, not if you don't. It may be cheaper, but not by much if you buy good quality stuff.

Titanium is like aluminum, only more so. Because they can make it thinner (necessary to improve the weight) and it transfers heat even better the hot spots are worse. It does not leave a taste though.

For a long time I carried aluminum, except for my fry pan. More recently I have moved to stainless, except for my fry pan - which is now stainless with an aluminum plate on the bottom (MSR) to improve the evenness of heating. I only wish I could find my favorite design (my old SIGG billy style pot) in stainless. The small difference in weight is not noticable in my pack (remember those rocks). I do have a Ti Tea Pot in my daypack. I only use it for heating water and it fits the canister from my small stove. My old one was aluminum and nothing would easily fit into it.

Look at the MSR website. Even if you don't buy from them, they have good food for thought in how they divide their different types of cookware.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (02/11/08 07:46 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.