Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#123151 - 02/09/08 12:15 AM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: Kris]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I use a cut off fiberglass arrow, and a few arrowheads, including fishing heads.

#123206 - 02/09/08 01:57 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: Stu]
duckear Offline
Addict

To answer the original question, a harpoon in a PSK...

Silly. The thought of adding it is just plain silly. The chance for the average internet joe to use one successfully is nil. Those that have the skills to successfully use one could make and improvise IMO.

And yet there will be droves of folks buying them at $80 a pop to go with their $300 pocket knives while complaining how expensive ACR PLB are.

#123209 - 02/09/08 02:09 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: Kris]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That's caught my eye as well Kris.

I'm opting to not add it to my PSK because I'm on a "parring down" kick at the moment. (see how Spartan I can get and still call myself a gear-junkie).

Playing mental games of what I can get rid of and improvise.

This is an on-going dance of ours: trying different stuff and trying to do without different stuff.

That's the cool thing about this place (Thanks Doug).

We can learn from the experiments of others. If you decide to try it out, let us know what worked/ didn't work.

Addendum:
As I'm reading this for grammatical correctness/making sure I didn't say something stoooopid, I noticed a pattern that is rather unsettling to me.

One of the hallmarks of addiction is a pattern of unsuccessfully attempting to cut back or stop what ever it is that the person is addicted to.

I've joked about being a gear-junkie, but this is different twist to it... Gotta find my self a 12 step group.... oh, wait Academy has a sale...maybe I'll stop tomorrow.

#123227 - 02/09/08 04:22 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: samhain]
Terrill Offline
Stranger

Purely for gathering fish, frogs, etc. I would choose an inexpensive gig as could be found at Bass Pro's or another location. For even a smaller tool for a PSK, you might want to look at fishing point as used on an arrow at your local archery shop. My Harpoon was designed as a multi-use tool which means you give up a bit here and a bit there to fit more needs such as a small knife. I would have liked to see it priced lower but that is not my department. TOPS is the one that comes up with pricing and since I just thought up the idea and TOPS makes it, that takes it out of my hands.
For those who have gotten one, thank you and I hope you enjoy it. Feel free to let me know what you think, good or bad.

#123531 - 02/12/08 05:21 AM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: Terrill]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Terrill, Great to see you on the Forum! Welcome!

#123549 - 02/12/08 01:30 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: Alan_Romania]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It is for that reason I would rather hod a handful of 10p nails in my kit. Multi-taskers are great things.

#123554 - 02/12/08 02:24 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: benjammin]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: benjammin
It is for that reason I would rather hod a handful of 10p nails in my kit. Multi-taskers are great things.

To expand on this. I did a simple google search for 'barb nails' and got a lot of hits, but with no pics (or if there were pics it was of regular nails - i think they were since they didn't look barbed).

Are barbed nails really barbed? If so, anyone have any pics or something of what they look like.

Went to my local hardware store here on island (i miss home depot from the mainland), and nothing even close to a barbed nail (in name or in product).

I'm thinking of mixing this up with 10p nails as per Benjammin comments.

#123562 - 02/12/08 03:44 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Barbed nails aren't barbed like a fish hook is...they just have tiny teeth in them near the head to help prevent them from coming out of whatever they're hammered into. At least that's how any barbed nail I've seen has been (I'm no carpenter). From what I understand spiral twist nails are much more effective as far as not coming out is concerned.

A nail can be used in different ways without being barbed however. The nail could be the barb. If hammered through a wooden spear (or lashed to one backwards), it could serve as a barb when harpooning fish. Short nails can also be tied inverted for fishing so that when a fish swallows them they turn sideways and get lodged. Before fish hooks existed this is how men fished using natural resources like bones, or thorns.

Benjammin: I like your way of thinking. I hate to carry 'uni-taskers' if I don't have to...especially when most multitaskers are WAY more bang for the buck (like 10p nails) smile

#123584 - 02/12/08 05:45 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: Kris]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I haven't seen barbed nails as such, but I've seen flooring nails that have conical ridges running up the length of them, kinda like a stack of funnels that don't quite nest all the way. My experience with them is that once you've hammered them in, you will not get them out again without destroying the wood around them. However, that is not what I would recommend. I prefer to notch a burr into the side of the nail with a file sufficiently to make it reasonably lodge upon attempting extraction. If you pull with enough force it will tear out, but not so likely on a small animal or fish. The barb in this case is not nearly as radical as a gigging barb. Having 3 or 4 on lashed around the end of a stick or pole about 3/4 to 1 inch diameter ought to fairly well secure whatever you can stick with it.

#123609 - 02/12/08 08:29 PM Re: Harpoon in a PSK - worth it? [Re: benjammin]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
That all makes sense. I couldn't find the barbed nails that i was thinking of, barbed like fish hooks (thanks hacksaw). I did find all those pics of barbed nails that bigdaddytx's search came back with. I just didn't think that they were 'true' barbed nails...

Thanks all,
Kris

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 363 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.