The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1226 - 08/09/01 06:57 PM Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I have bought NATO-approved weatherproof safety matches from www.sportsmansguide.com ($6.97 for two containers w.25 maytches each). For my car, I'm just going to include the entire container as is because there's enough room they are sealed and I don't want to break the seal.<br><br>But for my personal kit, I'm going to break the seal and put in only a few becasue of size constraints. However, these come with a single striker surface that's glued to the cap. What else can I use or can I get striker material elsewhere (such as from a match box)? <br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1227 - 08/10/01 02:23 AM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Have you read Doug's note on striking Lifeboats?Yes,they are prone to snapping. Thats why I use a P-38 to hold them. Try to get the largest possible striking surface. they can be lit with a small rectangle from a regular matchbox,but it takes several attempts.I use a cuttoff striking panel from a large safety match box.Coglans has indeed improved their version .<br><br>

#1228 - 08/10/01 01:23 PM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>Thats why I use a P-38 to hold them. <br><br>Okay, I give up. What's a "P-38?" (Besides a cool WWII fighter plane.)<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1229 - 08/10/01 03:31 PM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not read Doug's piece yet. Should have known he has all the bases covered. <br><br>Regards<br>Bruce Geissen<br><br>

#1230 - 08/10/01 04:27 PM P-38 again
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is a pretty cool airplane…<br><br>In this context, a P38 or P-38 (I don’t know which is correct) is a very small (1.5 inch long) stamped-steel can opener that used to be included with military canned rations (C-rats) when the military used such things. They’re small, very lightweight, durable, cheap (I bought 10 for $5 fairly recently on eBay) and work surprisingly well. They’re small enough to be carried on a keyring, in a wallet, or, traditionally, around your neck with your dog tags. They make an excellent “striker” for artificial flints, and an indifferent but useable screwdriver.<br><br>Chris said about them: “I've used mine for fish lures, emergency ice cleats, splitting roots for cordage, sewing thimble and small vise for holding needles and matches. Canned rations and water are still in widespread use worldwide."<br><br>I generally carry on my person a single-blade folder and a Leatherman Micra, which fills out the commonly-used everyday tools that one might have with a Swiss Army knife, but even the combination lacks a can opener, so I have a P38 currently living in my wallet, that fills that gap.<br><br>As you can see, some of us are rather fond of these little gizmos- it the sort of thing you can carry for years without a thought, but it's there when needed. I’ve had one in particular that I’ve had and used for at least 20, maybe 30 years now, it has all the finish worn off, but it still works fine, and it’s saved me a deal of trouble on more than one occasion.<br><br><br>

#1231 - 08/10/01 05:26 PM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I posted this in another thread awhile back:<br><br>"I like to get the "storm proof"- "NATO lifeboat" matches in a MATCH box. Same exact matches. You still get 25 matches BUT there 1/2 the price ($1.50) as the ones that come in the canister. I put mine in 35mm film cans that I get FREE from my local grocery stores photo lab. The cool thing is the box of matches comes with the striker on BOTH sides of the box. I just cut them off, and put them into the film can."<br> <br>I got them at my local ARMY surplus store. <br>But I found this link on the web with a pretty good deal 2 boxes of 25 and comes with a 5-Pak of Slow Burning Emergency candles for $3.95<br><br>http://www.janddsurvivalproducts.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?category=kits<br><br>It's the last item on the page.<br><br>Also the p-38 can openers That I got from the same ARMY store works good for some things mentioned BUT really aren't able to open the heavier canned food items of today.<br>I bent 2 tryin to open a can of beans the last time I went out.<br>But they have many other uses.<br><br><br><br>"Stay Frosty"

#1232 - 08/10/01 06:14 PM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Also the p-38 can openers That I got from the same ARMY store work good for some things mentioned BUT really aren't able to open the heavier canned food items of today.<br>I bent 2 tryin to open a can of beans the last time I went out.<br>But they have many other uses.<<<br><br>Not certain what the problem might have been, but are you sure you got the "real thing"? There have been cheap asian knockoffs made of these since at least the early '70s, and those don't hold an edge, and fall apart.<br><br>My impression is that even steel cans were a lot heavier in the period these were designed and used most in than they are now (as were the linings- canned food does not last as long as it used to). I've never had a problem with beans, or Dinty Moore, or dog and catfood, and I did open one #10 restaurant can once.<br><br>The ONLY real problem I've ever had with one is that, after much carry and use, it doesn't "snap" open and closed anymore, it just flops- still works, but it needed a bit of tape or a small rubber band to hold it closed on a keychain so it wouldn't snag stuff.<br><br><br>

#1233 - 08/10/01 07:37 PM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure if these are the real thing or not. The blades do flop on all 5 of the ones that I got. I didn't know they should snap open and closed. Also I have never seen any instruction on how to use it. So it's very possible I was using it incorrectly. <br>BUT It bent pretty easy when I was trying to puncture the can lid. I thought (I read once) that can food cans today are a little more heavy duty than the ones used in the 40's when the p-38 was used. I could be wrong on that as well. <br><br>But I still have a couple in my kit and use them for other things.<br><br>Any Ideas on what I could have been doing wrong???<br><br><br>"Stay Frosty"

#1234 - 08/10/01 08:34 PM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>I'm not sure if these are the real thing or not. The blades do flop on all 5 of the ones that I got. <<<br><br>Hmmm. Well, I have a couple marked "MIL- J- 0837" that just sort of flop. The rest are all marked "U S Speaker", and they snap open and closed when new. Not all the way closed, though.<br><br>>>Also I have never seen any instruction on how to use it. So it's very possible I was using it incorrectly. <br>BUT It bent pretty easy when I was trying to puncture the can lid... Any Ideas on what I could have been doing wrong???<<<br><br>From "bent pretty easy" I'm pretty sure it wasn't what you were doing, it was the opener. I don't think I could bend these with finger pressure alone- too tough and too small, no leverage. If the opener were too dull, or the can too tough, I think I just wouldn't be able to twist it hard enough for it to puncture, I don't think it wold bend. I just tried to bend a couple with both hands, and then with both hands and one end on the desk, and they're stronger than my fingers- and I'm a big guy. I think you'd need a vice, or pliers, or something to bend these.<br><br>Anyone else have experience with this?<br><br>

#1235 - 08/12/01 12:01 AM Re: Weatherproof Matches Sriker replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br><br>Just a question WHERE can I get some of the Original P38 can openers for our scouts and not the Coghlans knockoffs because these have a tendency to bend and also fall apart.<br><br>Perhaps somebody has a few good original ones and could let me know what they would cost sending to Holland (Europe).<br>Any help is appreciated, best scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera <br><br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.