Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#123411 - 02/11/08 03:35 PM Hunter Orange
XDriver Offline
Stranger

Hello, This is my first post. I have been a regular visitor to the site for quite some time. My uncle, 60+ diabetic, overweight was recently in a situation. He had gone out to check cattle in his pickup and went missing in single digit low weather. No problem in a warm pickup but things went south as he dropped one wheel into a ditch. Luckily he had just fueled so was able to keep warm through the night. The search went through the night and the next day a rescuer saw a glimpse of hunter orange on the horizon. Nebraska state law requires 400 square inches of hunter orange on their head, back and chest AT ALL TIMES during hunting season and my uncle still had his cheap vest in his pickup so he tied it to the antennae. I now have .50 vests in all my vehicles.

#123412 - 02/11/08 04:01 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: XDriver]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

we see alot of high-tech stuff on this site..this is a good
example of using you head--make a flag--and an low-tech
everyday item--hunters vest--hat..to make a good ending
to what could have been a lost cause..and welcome Driver!!!

#123422 - 02/11/08 05:15 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: XDriver]
thtimster Offline

There is also blaze orange duct tape (& other flourescent colors) as well as non-stick tapes (used by surveyors/contractors.) They can be used to brighten up clothes, make a distress flag or use as a trail markers. If you have a permanent marker like a Sharpie, you can add messages to your markers too.

Tim

#123424 - 02/11/08 05:27 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: thtimster]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
A good reminder that the gear to save your life dosen't have to cost a lot. Welcome to the forum XDriver. Don't pay any atention to any one when the start to bark about one of your posts no ones been bit yet, except Blast.

#123425 - 02/11/08 05:46 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Turkey season starts here in April, but people are out hunting all year long, for such things as raccoon, coyote, opossom, and swamp hog, so it may be a good idea to keep hunter orange on all year long.

If I ever encountered some hunter who made that sort of statement, I would have a long and painful discussion with him about game recognition and what a telescopic sight on a rifle is for (aiming the rifle at something you wish to shoot, not spotting and identification).

If I see a hunter pointing a gun at me, I will take great offense and return the favor, usually after taking cover. You do not use the sights of a firearm to spot game, and anyone who does is not only unethical, but also breaking the law should they end up pointing that muzzle at a person without cause. They would have no joy if they pointed a firearm at a game warden/LEO in the field.

#123435 - 02/11/08 07:02 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I'm a big proponent of carrying bright orange 55 gallon bags as multi-use items - preferably at least two of them.

They can provide shelter, provide a dry place to sit on the ground, keep gear dry, act as LARGE signal flags or trailer marker strips (when edges are cut off - can be written on with a Sharpie), carry water (if not abused), and even hold trash.

They are great multi-purpose survival items.

I bought mine from http://www.spectrumbagsonline.com

Welcome aboard XDriver!!

#123438 - 02/11/08 07:36 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: KenK]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

welcome X-driver. A good story with a happy ending. Its often the low tech stuff that makes a difference. Often I'd rather have a liter of water than a gps.
tro

#123447 - 02/11/08 08:39 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: XDriver]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
XDriver,

Welcome to the fire! Nice thinking by your uncle, it's suprising how many people DON'T come up with such solutions (well, it should be suprising).

Here in Houston the local Walmarts have their cheap vinyl hunter's safety vests on clearance. I prefer keeping a brightly colored, highly reflective safety vest in our vehicles. If I'm changing a tire or rendering aid by the road I want to be SEEN.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#123466 - 02/11/08 09:53 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Ditto the above; I've got a vest and beanie in my car for similar situations. Usually out hiking I'll wear red or blue... though blue can be tough to tell in some poor-light situations. Maybe I'll upgrade to different color UnderArmour for that reason.

Izzy, did that genius think he'd HIT you at a mile away? Few people on the planet could make that shot. (granted, unaimed would hurt just as bad!)

#123483 - 02/11/08 11:34 PM Re: Hunter Orange [Re: MDinana]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good going thinking of the orange vest as a flag. Survival is often a matter of using what you have in unusual ways. Making the most of what you have on hand.

Within the various groups concerned with survival there is a subset of those who take a more militarized approach. For them everything has to be 'tactical', subdued or camouflaged in some way. The preferred mode is to not be seen.

There are a few situations where being less visually obvious might be an advantage. Given the numbers of recreational campers who flood into the woods it is always better if their gear is drab. It doesn't take many orange and bright blue tents on a mountainside to convert a beautiful vista into visual pollution.

But sometimes you want to be seen. You don't want to be mistaken for a deer during hunting season and if you need to be found, and/or rescued being easily spotted is going to help.

The old military parkas had a OD green side and a Naval Distress Orange, day-glow orange, reverse. Sometimes you want to blend and sometimes you don't.

A standard hi-visibility vest could come in handy if you have to evacuate by walking down a road. Getting run over by a exhausted or inattentive driver that doesn't see you until too late isn't going to help you any. A bright vest might make the difference between escape or being a casualty.

Those day-glow vest are pretty light and they fold up well. Choosing you clothing, other gear with an eye toward when you do and don't want to stand out will help.

You might also consider one or two of these:
http://www.bestglide.com/VS17_Signal_Panel_Marker.html

At 24" by 70" it would serve as an emergency ground cloth or sun shelter. Two connected would make a decent shelter and one that would be both durable and easy to spot.

That might be a bit bulky for smaller kits where size and weight are at a premium. Smaller kits can sometimes benefit from inclusion of some surveyor's flagging tape:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagging_(tape)

It comes in a wide variety of colors and widths from 1" to 6". The most common rolls are 1" wide and better than 500' long wound on a cardboard core is about the size of a hockey puck. Shorter lengths can be wound up without the core and can give you a hundred feet or more in a compact and light bundle.

These can be used to mark trails, your travel route or longer pieces tied to or between anything handy to make a highly visible signal that moves in the wind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.