Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121987 - 01/30/08 10:55 AM Eonomic Survival
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Does anyone know of online sources about economic survival : what to do in a recession or depression ? How do you manage finances in high inflation and such ?

Thanks

#121994 - 01/30/08 01:03 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: Chisel]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I don't think too much of economic advice, worrying about such things only seems to distract me from what is important. My whole economic objective centers around getting someone to pay me enough to cover the costs of my life and my portion of the lives of 30 million + deadbeats, invaders, fools, and foreign governments, which is damn near half of it anyways. By the time I pay all that, what's left isn't worth worrying too much about. I stick it in a 401k and maybe an IRA unless I want to have a vacation and pick the most moderately diversified spread that's available. Then I forget about it. In twenty years, if there's anything left, I might take an extended vacation, something I've heard called retirement. Though if I survive that I will have to go back to work just to have something to do.

If you have enough money that you need to worry about how it is invested, you have a lot more than I do, and I would be of no help to you.

#122000 - 01/30/08 02:03 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: benjammin]
JRJ Offline

Transfer some of your wealth into food that will keep long-term. The cost of a 6 month auto insurance policy in food will see you through some pretty tough times.

Don't invest in the dollar, the u.s. or its markets.

Ouch that hurt.

#122003 - 01/30/08 02:19 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: JRJ]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Tis the season for investing. Remember the #1 rule of investing...buy low and sell high. This downturn in the markets is a HUGE buying opportunity.

#122004 - 01/30/08 02:24 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: Chisel]
jenkinma Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
Hey Chisel,
Down here in the ATL, we have a local guy with a nationally syndicated radio talk show with all kinds of advice on "saving money and keeping you from getting ripped off"; a consumer advocate guy... Clark Howard.

His website is full of advice and other resources on all sorts of stuff (scams to avoid, money management, etc.) clarkhoward.com . Lots of notes and links and things. He's also big into travel deals...

I just know there is useful stuff in there for you. He's extremely thrifty and is always advocating "financial preparedness".

Good luck.

-Matt

#122009 - 01/30/08 03:26 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: Chisel]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Quote:
... online sources about economic survival...

WARNING: FREE ADVICE

Only spend money on that which will make you money.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#122016 - 01/30/08 04:58 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: Chisel]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
Recently I heard a very good assessment of economists:

If you put 10 Economists in a room to evaluate what happened during a given period you will get a thorough analysis of how and why the economic event took place. Put the same 10 in a room and ask them to predict what is going to happen and you will get 12 answers with 15 scenarios. (This may have been on the Clark Howard Show)

I would focus on access to your funds/resources. Not that you want to stuff your mattress full of Franklins, but like they say in the investment world: A diversified portfolio is the best route. Keep some cash on hand, some at arms reach in a bank/savings institution, and other funds invested in companies or markets you are comfortable putting your money into. How you diversify/allocate funds into these areas is up to your personal comfort level.

#122017 - 01/30/08 05:16 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: NorCalDennis]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Be careful with thinking you have cash that is easily accessible when it is in a money market. Money market funds may have some problems in the near future. The paper in which these funds invest can include asset-backed securities, and if there is a default on paying what's due, then the money market fund would need to go after the property that secures the paper.

#122020 - 01/30/08 06:57 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: Chisel]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Does anyone know of online sources about economic survival : what to do in a recession or depression ? How do you manage finances in high inflation and such ?

Thanks

Managing finances always starts with spending less than you earn or have. Then it progresses to stocking up with what you think you'll need and what will work. Stored food, stored currency, and money in the bank ( perhaps in various forms) go a long way toward peace of mind in uncertain times. Even camping gear is rightly regarded as a resource for hard (really hard!) times.

How to do well in varying conditions is the topic of endless discussions and you have many choices of "style" in advice ranging from buying and stocking a bunker in Montana to day-trading your way to millions this very afternoon. Nobody knows for sure because nobody knows for sure what will actually happen.

I find that the writers featured on this site: http://www.financialsense.com/ provide a good variety of viewpoints though they are not very specific on what mix of investments to have.
They do provide perspective on what's happening that is much more thoughtful and fact-based than what you get from TV.

In fact, as a rule, you should ignore what you get from TV because it might be disinformation and have resemblance to old time cowboys singing to the livestock as they rode around the restless herd at night....

#122022 - 01/30/08 07:28 PM Re: Eonomic Survival [Re: unimogbert]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Invest what you are comfortable losing.

Save what you can.

Stuff the mattress with some.

Stock up (no pun intended) on the essentials...especially toilet paper and duct tape.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.