Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#123075 - 02/08/08 04:50 PM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: aardwolfe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
And yet today on the local news they broadcast the same misinformation about bishpenol in plastic baby bottles being this grave health concern yet again.

Also heard that the WHO has come out to claim that tobacco accounts for 1 billion deaths annually??? Seems a bit outrageous to me. I suppose one could claim that breathing alone is responsible for billions of deaths annually, as everybody does it right up to the point of dying.

#123080 - 02/08/08 05:12 PM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: benjammin]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I heard that saliva might cause cancer ...

but only when consumed in small quantities over a long period of time.

grin

#123084 - 02/08/08 05:55 PM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: benjammin]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Also heard that the WHO has come out to claim that tobacco accounts for 1 billion deaths annually???

That's a billion by the end of the 21st century. Not that far fetched, considering tobacco use is increasing rapidly in developing countries, they smoke often, and they smoke that really nasty, unfiltered crap.

#123156 - 02/09/08 12:34 AM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: tommyb]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And for the baby, just use the bottles with little baggie inserts...

#123174 - 02/09/08 02:21 AM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: z96Cobra]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
ABC News had a segment last night about BPA and I also happened to be looking through a Time Magazine article which mentioned the dangers of BPA.

No wonder I keep away from the mainstream news.

#123184 - 02/09/08 04:26 AM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: z96Cobra]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
BPA, the next aluminum. Remember, anything in too great a quantity is BAD. Don't be stupid and boil water in your Nalgene, don't scrub it in strong acids or alkali solutions with steel wool, and don't autoclave it.

Check the archives, there is plenty there about why these claims are best described with a pronoun that gets frowned on around here. (Not suitable for small ears.)

BTW, welcome new guy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#123201 - 02/09/08 01:22 PM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: ironraven]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Ok, I'm biting.....what is DMHO? Am I correct in that its water? Di (something, ... its been awhile since chem class) hydroxide? H2O?

#123203 - 02/09/08 01:37 PM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: Arney]
z96Cobra Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Arney
Warning about DHMO with a "straight face" is just going to scare the OP...

So, because I asked if folks thought that the study was talking about Nalgene bottles, my intelligence is somehow inferior to yours? Just like everything else, one group of "researchers" says something will kill you if you consume it, and another group will say you will die if you don't consume enough of it.

The whole DHMO joke was done many years ago, and the original version I heard was a petition given to people in a mall. This group wanted congress to outlaw all "Dihydrogen Monoxide" because of its dangers. Almost no one got the joke, and tons of people signed the petition. It was done to prove how gullible people can be, and how corny/worthless petitions can be.

Roger

#123204 - 02/09/08 01:44 PM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: BillLiptak]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

BHA is one of the lesser reasons I don't drink bottled water very often. The main reason is that when your drinking bottled water your paying more per gallon than gasoline sells for.

That when municipal water is both safer and a whole lot cheaper.

Reason enough to avoid the bottled water for every-day use. But bottled water has some advantages for emergency or survival use. The water stores well. Even after more than a year I have never had an issue with bottled water. Even the cheap store-brands.

It is also packed in individual serving size. This makes it easier to distribute and increases the odds that a good percentage of the supply survives being shot up, beat down and dropped off a cliff.

And after your done drinking your water you have a handy container. A liter bottle makes using chemical treatments on questionable found water simple. Those bottles will also hold other liquids, cereals and other materials and like tin cans they can be cut up to make dinnerware and useful objects around a camp.

Okay, I'm getting some BHA when I drink the water. But it is only for a few days and it is during an emergency so some small amount of risk is marginally acceptable.

#123267 - 02/10/08 03:22 AM Re: Are clear water bottles a health hazard? [Re: Art_in_FL]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I often leave water bottles in my truck and they freeze overnight, after I thaw them out there is what looks like a small amount of white sediment in the bottom; does anyone know what this stuff is?

Mike

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.