Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122928 - 02/07/08 03:48 PM Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick
Hacksaw
Unregistered

My thoughts in the spear thread have gotten me to thinking about all the uses for old hockey sticks. This is a VERY common item in households, vehicles, stores, etc. here (and I'm sure in many other places too). Since I'm thinking so much about it I wanted to write them all down...and since I'm doing that I figured I'd give you all a shot at the same time.

• Walking Stick
  • Fishing Pole (one pole could be used to make several ice fishing rigs)
  • Window lock (cut to length and put in a window to prevent it from being opened from the outside)
  • Door Lock (propped against a door to prevent it from being opened)
  • Tarp Pole (Drive a nail in the end to go through the grommet)
  • Makeshift crutch(es)
  • Staff for self defense
  • Shaft of a spear
  • Shaft of a harpoon
  • Bow? (I'm sure there are some makes of stick which are flexible enough for this though I'm not sure I'd have the skill to make one)
  • Club (I've seen many 'fish whackers' made from a length of hockey stick)
  • Shelter (can be used in uncountable ways especially if you have screws or nails or are even just really good at lashing)
  • Reenforcement material (strengthen a door, shutters, floor, beam, etc)
  • Snow Sled (whole sticks could be lashed together to make a sled or a frame for one
  • Stretcher (strong enough to make an old school canvas stretcher or several could be attached together to make a backboard.
  • Splint for a leg or arm
  • Kindling? (I'm not sure how well a laminate stick burns or how safe they burn with all the glue and fiberglass but an old school, all wood stick would always be dry and is already a good size for fire starting)
  • Pack Frame (lashed or screwed together)

Granted you could use any stick for many of these tasks but sometimes trees aren't around (urban) and these days there is a strong public aversion to cutting down live foliage for any reason...and the hockey sticks just seem to be a more suitable choice for many of these tasks...if you have them handy.

I was never a big hockey player but even I went through quite a few sticks when I was younger...I regret not keeping them now!

#122933 - 02/07/08 04:21 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Given enough duct tape and sticks you could probably fashion a ladder. I'm sure screws/nuts and bolts would be better, though.

#122934 - 02/07/08 04:28 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Hacksaw - I made a real nice improvised axe handle out of one once. It worked so well that I never bothered to buy a replacement handle for the one I broke.

#122936 - 02/07/08 04:44 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: Taurus]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Taurus
Hacksaw - I made a real nice improvised axe handle out of one once. It worked so well that I never bothered to buy a replacement handle for the one I broke.

I can see a laminated shaft from a hockey stick as the handle for almost any and every tool, from a shovel, ax, pick ax, hoe, post-holer digger, etc., etc. etc.

I can also see them being used as building material for a lot of things.

At near the same size, their cannot be many stonger pieces of wood than a laminated hockey stick.

#122939 - 02/07/08 05:14 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
As I mentioned on the "Fishing" post I am a big fan of using tough hockey stick shafts in constructing outdoor items.

Here is a use that has nothing to do with survival, but made my wife happy (therefore made me really happy).

The under-cabinet short screws that anchored our dishwasher into the countertop would often pull out and the dishwasher would tilt forward when the door was opened causing the lower rack and dishes to fall on the floor. Also one of the screws fell unnoticed into the dishwasher and ground away in the drain pump, that cost me a repairman service call for about 5 minutes work.

So I epoxed a thin hockey stick shaft (actually one of my son's mini-stick shafts) under the lip of the counter and screwed the dishwasher brackets to it, problem solved!

Mike

P.S. A hockey shaft fitted with a metal head makes a decent light ice chisel, and if you mark a measuring scale on it you can measure the length of your fish.

#122941 - 02/07/08 05:16 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I never thought of a ladder...that's a good one!

If you had a surplus and some good tools you could make quite functional furnature too.

Makes me want to start stockpiling them!

#122942 - 02/07/08 05:18 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
In Sports Bars I have seen hockey sticks used as picture frames and coat hangers, it went well with the decor.

Mike

#122943 - 02/07/08 05:20 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Picket fence or small animal pen?

They're pretty waterproof you could likely make good box style traps out of them for catching live fish or other critters.

#122944 - 02/07/08 05:21 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I smell a new book hitting the shelves

Northern Stickcraft by Slap Shotchanski

#122961 - 02/07/08 07:58 PM Re: Survival/Emergency uses for a hockey stick [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Clint Eastwood had a line: 'Nothing like a good piece of hickory'.

A hockey stick isn't likely to be made of hickory but a good piece of wood always has a lot of potential uses.

A friend held off an attacker with flimsy badminton racket. He laughed at it as a weapon but backed off after she told him he would be pretty easy to identify with it hanging out his rear. Figures a rapist would be more enthusiastic about giving than receiving. Maybe it was the Christmas spirit. Sometimes even a small piece of wood has uses.

I always admired that girl ... she has grit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.