Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122800 - 02/06/08 03:04 PM Tornados
Hookpunch Offline

For anyone that knows - how is it possible to be warned of oncoming tornados and what are the preparations for it?

Thanks

#122802 - 02/06/08 03:11 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Hookpunch]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Warning? Buy a weather radio.

If the funnel cloud forms right overtop of you then there is no warning.

#122804 - 02/06/08 03:11 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Hookpunch]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
One option is a NOAA Weather Alert Radio.. In the event of severe weather (or other threat) NOAA sends out a special tone which automatically turns these radio on. They then broadcast a warning as to what the threat is.

Tornadoes can pop up faster than the warnings can go out, but the radio might help.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#122820 - 02/06/08 04:26 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Blast]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Being here in Oklahoma for the last few years has allowed me to brush up on my meteorology a bit. I have found two websites provide really current weather: intellicast.com and wunderground.com (Weather Underground). Also, spend considerable time watching "Old People's MTV", the Weather Channel. You can learn a ton about them. I like tracking the storms on the Internet sites I mentioned. I agree with Blast about getting a weather radio. You may not be able to understand the voices sometimes but at least the fact that it went off should be a clue that something is up.

Just my thoughts

#122844 - 02/06/08 07:57 PM Re: Tornados [Re: ]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Some local TV stations can let you sign up for free cell phone text message alerts regarding weather alerts. I got several Tornado watch alerts last night.

A SAME weather radio (if you live in the US) is better to ensure that you receive only the alerts applicable to wear you live.

#122884 - 02/07/08 02:36 AM Re: Tornados [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A woman I used to know who lived in Oklahoma for just a year had this advice about tornadoes:

"Forget the house -- just sleep in the tornado shelter all the time."

Sue

#122893 - 02/07/08 03:21 AM Re: Tornados [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have read that tornadoes produce a large amount of noise across the AM band. The claim was an AM radio tuned to white noise between stations whines and sings when a tornado is in the area and it gets louder and more distinct as it gets closer.

I don't know. Sounds like a good experiment for one of the many storm chaser crews out there. They could carry a battery powered Am radio or simply use the AM function on their car radio.

It would be an interesting experiment to try. But in the mean time a standard weather radio may be your best bet.

Another option to look into would be to talk to the local police or emergency services departments. Some have reverse 911 operations and a few are said to include weather emergencies. The operation of these systems is that when an alert is issues and localized it cross references the location of the emergency with a reverse phone directory. The computer then dials the phone numbers associated with each house in the area and delivers a pre-recorded warning message.

In one case my local police had the system call everyone a half mile down-wind of a industrial fire. The local system dials a couple score numbers at a time. So it is pretty fast. It isn't perfect but it seems to have alerted most of the people and worked well enough that it has become a regularly used tool for emergency services.

Some of these systems require that you contact the emergency services or police department and register your address to the phone number that will be used. This is increasingly important as more people every day are using cell phones as their only tele-communications link. Couldn't hurt to ask if they have such a system. Maybe ask why not if they don't.

There are also several pager companies out here who claim to keep abreast of disasters in your area and for a fee they will send you a warning. Sounds good if they are as good as their advertising claims. One I looked at said they operated at the county level. I wasn't in the right area. They were a SW outfit.

#122911 - 02/07/08 12:22 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Art_in_FL]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Preps for a tornado that I took were

1. Build concrete shelter down in my basement
2. Stock it with alternate heat,cooking and lighting and frig.
3. Stock food, water ( I have a well ), porta potty, TP of course
4. Tools to dig out
5. Let someone know your going down there in case you can't dig
your way out.
6. Personal items as well as games and books
7. Bunk beds, with bedding
8. Weather Radio
9. Hand held Ham Radio
10.Extra batteries

Just a few basics, I have other supplies not listed, it's not just for tornado's

The only thing I haven't done yet is add a air filtration system to it. I also want to get my Ham License and a good base unit.

A good Weather Radio is top priority.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#122913 - 02/07/08 12:53 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Art_in_FL]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, that sounds reasonable. With wind moving that fast, there's bound to be a significant amount of static precipitation build up. Even with a heavy rain, I doubt it would dissipate the static fast enough to counteract the propagation.

I know there's some static precip during a sandstorm, enough to detect by similar means, so it makes sense, although I would think that it would be physically obvious the tornado is approaching your pos before you could discern the threat on the radio.

#122914 - 02/07/08 01:51 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Hookpunch]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Learn to read the clouds too, looking especially for the cumulonimbus , your regular old everyday thunderbumper producer, and the more dangerous offshoot, the cumulonimbusmammatus , which is the one tornados,funnel clouds, and waterspouts come from...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.