Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#122917 - 02/07/08 02:24 PM Re: Tornados [Re: benjammin]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Sometimes "thunderstorm warning" really means "tornado warning."

From a sobering experience, I learned that it is not always obvious to know when a tornado is approaching.

In our situation, conditions went from light rain and windy to tornado in an instant. No tornado watches or warnings were issued. But, a small tornado touched down across the road < 1,000' from our house, taking out a full-size billboard, 4 mature trees in my front yard, 6 mature trees in my backyard, and continued to make a path of damage, for a few miles

Amazingly and thankfully, the funnel literally skipped over our house, causing only minor damage. If the tornado had been a few feet closer to the ground, DW and I would have been Dorothy'd without knowing what hit us.

The warnings finally came when the tornado was into the next town.

The lessons I brought away from the experience is to pay much closer attention to the weather. Conditions can change in an instant.

Don't rely on technology 100%. Thunderstorm warning means pay close attention. You need to keep an eye to the sky.

#122920 - 02/07/08 02:32 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Shadow_oo00]
JimJr Offline

Loc: Central Mississippi
Get a weather radio with SAME (Specific Area Messaging Equipment(?)) technology. Set the SAME code(s) for your home areas(s). They are not too expensive, so get several. They also make great gifts. The National Weather Service issues tornado warnings almost entirely based on doppler radar returns, which typically gives 10+ minutes of of warning. (You'll note that the warning will say something like "...doppler radar indicated a possible tornado 10 miles southwest of yourtown moving northeast at 60 miles an hour...")

JimJr

#122959 - 02/07/08 07:45 PM Re: Tornados [Re: benjammin]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Hmm, that sounds reasonable. With wind moving that fast, there's bound to be a significant amount of static precipitation build up. Even with a heavy rain, I doubt it would dissipate the static fast enough to counteract the propagation.

I know there's some static precip during a sandstorm, enough to detect by similar means, so it makes sense, although I would think that it would be physically obvious the tornado is approaching your pos before you could discern the threat on the radio.

I wonder about how much visual warning people are getting. People reporting that they became aware of it with just enough time to scoop up the kids and hide in the bathtub seems to be a pretty common theme.

A lot of houses don't have clear sight lines to the horizon. There is always the chance of a tornado at night. Or it might form right on top of you. Would wind shear produce RF noise as it forms a tornado a couple of miles up?

If a simple AM radio could give them a little more warning and some clue as to presence and range, even just for the comfort of an earlier, but not premature, 'all-clear' it sounds like something to look into.

Still wouldn't replace a good weather radio but something to consider. I will have to ask around and see if I can't get more details from the experts.

#122970 - 02/07/08 08:43 PM Re: Tornados [Re: Art_in_FL]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, there are variables. I am thinking about out in the wide open in west Texas or Oklahoma, where you can see it coming in the daytime. Nighttime or obstructed view pretty much negates the early visual warning.

Static precip is going to be hard for the layman to discern from background interference. AM radios can be susceptible to computer noise, monitor noise (if its old CRT that is), DSL noise, phone noise, in fact a lot of different radiation sources can simulate what you might mistake for an incoming tornado, plus the fact that most folks probably don't get the chance to really listen to such an event that often.

All in all, I would prefer a good doppler radar system as a suitable EWD. Sooner or later there's going to be a real time internet link for folks to dial into that will have a doppler feed and graphics and even alert cues telling you what and how the system is developing. I would subscribe. Wouldn't it be nice to find out what the storm is doing 30 seconds before the general alarm is activated?

#122991 - 02/08/08 12:35 AM Re: Tornados [Re: benjammin]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Sooner or later there's going to be a real time internet link for folks to dial into that will have a doppler feed and graphics and even alert cues telling you what and how the system is developing.

Until that day, I created my own page with feeds from several sources. It is close to real time information.

http://www.godtw.com/weather/meters.htm.

Edited by GarlyDog (02/08/08 12:36 AM)

#122997 - 02/08/08 12:51 AM Re: Tornados [Re: Hookpunch]
readyone Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida
Ok GarlyDog, just how do you do that?

#122998 - 02/08/08 12:53 AM Re: Tornados [Re: GarlyDog]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Until that day, I created my own page with feeds from several sources. It is close to real time information."

I love that!

Sue

#123002 - 02/08/08 01:45 AM Re: Tornados [Re: benjammin]
sodak Offline
Addict

Hmm, that sounds reasonable. With wind moving that fast, there's bound to be a significant amount of static precipitation build up. Even with a heavy rain, I doubt it would dissipate the static fast enough to counteract the propagation.

I know there's some static precip during a sandstorm, enough to detect by similar means, so it makes sense, although I would think that it would be physically obvious the tornado is approaching your pos before you could discern the threat on the radio.

You're close. When I was a kid, and we had black and white TV's with dials, we would dial in channel 13 and tune it until it was just blacked out, then dial in channel 2. You can actually watch lightning strikes as white flashes, and when a tornado touches down, the whole screen turns white. Yes, it really works.

#123007 - 02/08/08 02:16 AM Re: Tornados [Re: sodak]
z96Cobra Offline
Stranger

I did the same as GarlyDog, and created my own page. I also have my own weather station (Davis Vantage Pro), and it sends info to www.wunderground.com also. I've also got the Boltek Lightning detector, but it isn't "online".

http://users.decaturwb.com/96cobra/

Roger

#123017 - 02/08/08 03:36 AM Re: Tornados [Re: readyone]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: readyone
Ok GarlyDog, just how do you do that?

Normally, by the hour.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.