The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#119631 - 01/10/08 09:43 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: ponder]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Ponder..from what i have seen on other sites they are for water only as you can not open them to clean out burned on food..
in a pinch maybe, and rinse and boil to clean..

#119635 - 01/10/08 10:03 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Yup, all these kettles are water only as there is no way to clean the inside out.

The Thermette comes with a support ring that can sit on top of the chimney....this support ring supports a pot for soups etc so you can cook and boil at the same time. You do have to remove the pot to add sticks though so this is a good potential but not a perfect setup. How tall and ungainly it is etc remains to be seen.

The large Kelly can be had with an accessory kit....really a small two piece grill that sits on the firepan only. This way you can grill something or possibly support a tiny pot over the coals after your boil is finished.

I have seen someone make a hardware cloth "ring" that fits the Kelly chimney that could then support a mug or small pot, but this is a very tippy operation.

I then to think of these as hot water boilers exclusively.

#119683 - 01/11/08 06:24 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Schwert]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Schwert - "These are a half gallon, copper and again perfectly suited to larger kits."

That's just about the size I want for my coffee. Proper caffination is important. As to what everyone else is drinking, hey, that's their problem. Pretty too. Always a plus.

And, BTW, a very nice photo also.

I would still brew the coffee in it. Coffee, as long as it is straight up will leave a stain but it is easy to remove chemically. Worse case I pour in some sand, wet with water with a touch of detergent and shake. No problem.

I would have to stitch up an insulated cozy for the pot so the coffee stayed warm.

#119748 - 01/11/08 08:39 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Art_in_FL]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I would advise against brewing in the Kelly or Thermette. The Kelly would likely hold the grounds quite well in the tight areas of the chimney and there is definately nothing worse than stale coffee grounds to ruin your next boilup. I imagine the Thermette with its very restricted spout would even be more difficult to clean of grounds.

I just take a top-of-cup filter device, brew coffee in an cup with integral press arrangement or for my disaster kit filter brew into a Nissan thermos with cone. This way the water can be used for soups, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc in a nearly endless manner.

Rancid coffee oils in my boiler would be something I would not want to have to figure out how to deal with.

BTW...thanks for the image compliment. Only the Kelly Kettle image is mine....the Thermette image came from their site.

Edited by Schwert (01/11/08 08:42 PM)

#119756 - 01/11/08 09:20 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Schwert]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
As a means of ensuring that you have safe water to drink those are definitely the D.B's.

#120398 - 01/16/08 02:53 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Schwert]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

The way they taper down on the inside tells me that they can only be used to boil water. I need a container that I can boil soup in and won't have any trouble cleaning out. Also, I need my container to have an opening big enough to spoon from, and also big enough to store some things in when not in use. I don't like the idea of empty space in my kit.
I am designing my own compact wood gas stove that will accomplish all I need in a cook kit, and serve as storage for when not in use.

#122743 - 02/06/08 01:43 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

I just picked up my semi-shiney new copper Thermette.

First impressions....

Huge.
Cruder than the Kelly's.
Big.
Heavy.
Gigantic.
All soldered rather than just crimped.
Monsterous.

Galvanized steel fire ring on the bottom.
Tinned (?) burner top ring.
Steel cook ring for the top.

Lots of solder so the joints should not leak…hopefully they are tin not lead.

Knuckle burn a distinct possibility...care required.

It has a bit of the look of some of my metal work projects from 7th grade shop class.

Made in China.

That last bit surprised me...I thought New Zealand.

Anyway it is a giant boiler, that has a very efficient looking copper cone and a huge draft potential.

This will be boiled in sometime soon.

It looks like it has great potential for my express purposes of emergency water boiling.

I am glad I have my Kelly's though....

#122769 - 02/06/08 03:54 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Schwert]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I only buy from China if there is absolutely no other way.

#122807 - 02/06/08 03:32 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Schwert]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Hi Schwert - glad to see you got one, I'm really looking forward to your evaluation.

Dave

#122810 - 02/06/08 03:42 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: Schwert]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Another source for the Kelly Kettles in the U.S. is Garrett Wade (www.garrettwade.com).

Very comparable to what Lee Valley has (in their general stock). They charge a few dollars more, but available with the large Kelly Kettle (they call them "Foul Weather Kettles") is an accessory kit.

Quoting their site now: comprised of a small 5-1/2" diameter fry pan, a fire grate/grill, a deeper Cooking Pot, plus a Handle) can be used with the Base of the Large Kettle.

That might be a nice add-on to go with a Kelly Kettle, don't know how it compares functionally to the Thermette's advertised ability to cook with or without the water boiling on the base.

Dave

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 430 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.