Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#122715 - 02/05/08 10:42 PM Best food for daily consumption over long term
Hacksaw
Unregistered

If this has been posted before forgive me. I can't imagine it not being here somewhere but I can't find it by searching so here goes:

What are your opinions on the best food given the following criteria:

• Must be easily purchased in the local market (insert favorite supermarket/grocery store/big box store here)
  • Must provide fairly complete nutrition such that it could provide much of a persons needed nutrition if it needed to be consumed daily for an extended period
  • Must store well with a good shelf life
  • Requires a minimum of preparation to eat (eaten as is or just boiled for example).

The best I can come up with is canned soup. With a variety you must be able to get your basic nutritional needs covered.

Any ideas you long term preparedness pros?

#122724 - 02/05/08 11:29 PM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: ]
SJC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Detroit
How about Slim Fast Shakes?

#122727 - 02/05/08 11:59 PM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I have bought a couple of 25 Kg bags of rice from the Asian supermarket for this purpose. Aparently you can get by quite well on only rice. Of course in a situation where I am eating it every day.................... I may freak out and eat the cat just to get a bit of meat in there. sick

Edited by Taurus (02/06/08 05:14 AM)

#122728 - 02/06/08 12:03 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: SJC]
RzrSxS Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
It is somewhat amazing to me that this topic comes up; as it was truly the #1 question that I had in mind when joining this forum today. It would seem that if some kind of agreement could be reached as to what one could buy/put away at the local store in terms of both nutrition and shelf life...how much further would literally everybody out there be in terms of being even the least bit prepared?

Soups were my first purchases recently (seems like some of the Chunky Selects were at least 2 years); tuna was about the same; packaged almonds were about a year and my California garlic stuffed olives w/chardonnay (bought on sale @ Meijers) were the best at 3 years.

Believe it or not; that is all we actually have stored beyond the normal last resort Mountain House Products and a few MREs...so I am obviously very interested as to the definitive answer(s) here and what items we need to keep an eye out for on sale at our local grocer (even if some of this went on sale regionally; it'd be nice to give each other a heads up on the opportunity).

Thank you very much!

Edit: Just checked the expiration date on our only other item always in stock at larger than average quantities in our house...large bars of Hershey dark chocolate (1 year). Like the olives and a couple bottles of good hooch; excellent for you and pretty darn comforting as well. wink

Edited by RzrSxS (02/06/08 12:17 AM)
Edit Reason: wording

#122732 - 02/06/08 12:22 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: RzrSxS]
RzrSxS Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
By the way, those slimfasts seem like an excellent choice and I'd like to hear more about the proper storage of rice and for how long it is safe to consume afterwards.

#122734 - 02/06/08 12:30 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: RzrSxS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Check out: http://www.standeyo.com and http://daretoprepare.com for a great deal of preparation information concerning food storage and for checklists as well.

#122735 - 02/06/08 12:38 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: wildman800]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Wow. That's site's too hardcore for me.

I'm just looking for a solution that doesn't require me to freeze dry/vacuum seal/nitrogen pack/ etc etc etc or mail order special food.

Just a box of food tucked away on the shelf to keep us going for as long as is practical should that be necessary.

#122737 - 02/06/08 12:49 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: ]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

What are your opinions on the best food given the following criteria:

[list]
[*]Must be easily purchased in the local market
[*]Must provide fairly complete nutrition
[*]Must store well with a good shelf life
[*]Requires a minimum of preparation to eat

IMHO - Dinty Moore Beef Stew

[*]Readily available

[*]Total nutrition - period.

[*]VERY LONG - Because of the neutral ph due to the potatoes, the can is not eaten from the inside out like tomatoe or other acidic products.

[*]It is cooked. It can be eaten without preparation.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#122738 - 02/06/08 12:50 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Lentils
Dry red beans
Oatmeal
Rice
Peanut butter
Sugar (or honey)
Salt
Lots of spices

This will give you assorted nutrients, calories and a mixture of flavors. Supplement it with pine needle tea ( for vit. C) or other things gleaned from Mothr Nature.

The rice/beans/lentils can be soaked over night to pre-soften them or you can mix them with boiling water in a thermos and let them cook without using lots of fuel.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#122740 - 02/06/08 01:04 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: RzrSxS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

My cut to the bones choice: Peanut butter and saltine crackers. And of course a knife to spread the pb...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.