Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#122741 - 02/06/08 01:14 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Dinty Moore?

Never heard of it. Looks like Chunky soup to me...also a pretty good option.

#122746 - 02/06/08 01:45 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: Blast]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Blast

Lentils
Dry red beans
Oatmeal
Rice
Peanut butter
Sugar (or honey)
Salt
Lots of spices

-Blast

Great stuff.

I might add:

Black Beans
Whole nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc.)
Brown rice
Dried Seaweed
Powdered Milk
Breakfast Cereal (not captain crunch)

#122749 - 02/06/08 01:59 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: Taurus]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: Taurus
I may freak out and eat the cat just to get a bit of meat in there. sick

I was gonna say somthing like this a while back but was afraid that Blast might want some revenge, and I would hate getting him in trouble with his DW. Cats (don't know for sure about the house sized ones)taste great.

#122751 - 02/06/08 02:01 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: OldBaldGuy]
RzrSxS Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
You hear of people stocking up on the cases of canned fruit and vegetables; yet isn't a good portion of the nutritional value sucked away in the processing...effectively causing some of these choices to not be as beneficial to the body as they may seem?

Again, it seems very strange to me that books aren't being written about the average homeowner (possibly) overpaying at the 'survival stores' to achieve the same nutritional end with a good rotation program based around readily available grocery store sale items. With food, and by extension, survival food product pricing going through the roof lately (not to mention a slowing economy); why wouldn't folks be interested in knowing this information for a number of reasons even beyond common sense survival in an emergency?

#122762 - 02/06/08 03:17 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: RzrSxS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've been doing a lot of research on canned food tonight since writing the post (usually I do things the other way around but I wrote the original post at work so what can you do?) and I'm really amazed at how effective a technique that hasn't really changed much since the times of Napoleon is (the man ultimately responsible for the process even if he didn't think of it).

I've been reading about 100 year old canned fruit being dug out of ship wrecks and being completely safe to eat.

The general consensus seems to be that any food which is canned properly won't spoil...it can only lose it's taste color, and maybe Vitamins...and even that takes 2 years (more if stored at a nice cool temperature).

I think the real question when it comes to canned food is which foods to choose and how to rotate them so they stay relatively eatable.

I like the idea of beans and I LOVE to eat them...but when I think of situations where I'd need to dig into those dried supplies I think of how much water it takes to prepare them (soaking, boiling, etc). You wouldn't want to waste the water but it might not keep long to be saved for drinking.

Rice will also keeps years and it needs very little water to prepare...definitely something to look into.

#122766 - 02/06/08 03:42 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: ]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
This goes back about 20 years, but I spent a couple of days with a professional wrestler who shared about when his was on his way up in the business, and money was very tight. He was getting by on a nasty mix of canned tuna and concentrated orange juice. High in protein, high in vitamins - is was a low cost, high impact meal.

I don't know that I could stomach such a meal, but it does make good sense if you are needing those kind of calories. Of course you would need refrigeration for the OJ concentrate and this might not be realistic depending upon the situation.

#122770 - 02/06/08 03:57 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: NorCalDennis]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

canned tuna and grape nut breakfast cereal..
real oatmeal..the Scots survived on it untill processed
oatmeal came their way..
real rice...
i read about a guy who canoe triped around the Barrens
of Canada in the 1930's on nothing but tea and dry
caribou meat..

#122773 - 02/06/08 04:09 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: RzrSxS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You can find that type of info @ http://www.daretoprepare.com

#122781 - 02/06/08 06:39 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

I like the idea of beans and I LOVE to eat them...but when I think of situations where I'd need to dig into those dried supplies I think of how much water it takes to prepare them (soaking, boiling, etc). You wouldn't want to waste the water but it might not keep long to be saved for drinking.

Rice will also keeps years and it needs very little water to prepare...definitely something to look into.

Could you use the bean soak water to boil the rice? Or make bean stew with the soak water?

#122783 - 02/06/08 10:41 AM Re: Best food for daily consumption over long term [Re: ]
jasond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I think the Dinty Moore sounds pretty good. Very easy to get lasts a long time and fairly nutritious. Also canned or packaged tuna would always make a good meal and if you used the packaged stuff it's pretty lightweight and easy to transport if need be.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.