Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12260 - 01/21/03 09:22 PM Grab and go bags?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was thinking about a little bag or box to set aside the bed of family members along with a flashlight and some water just something to grab if we had to get right out. Now i already have a bob but i want something smaller that i could grab if i didnt have enugh time. Any suggestions on what to put it in or what it should contain?
Thanks ,Tom

#12261 - 01/21/03 09:38 PM Re: Grab and go bags?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Consider one of the small fanny packs on the market. Not so big that it'll take up a lot of room beside the bed, but big enough to hold several things. The belt can go around your waist or over your shoulder.

I would include a list of important phone numbers (insurance co., family, friends, etc.), some form of ID, some money (bills and change), insurance information, socks, a small PSK, whistle, mace, folding knife and extra flashlight (I'm thinking small headlamp).

Might be something to grab in case of fire, flood, break-in, etc. You could even include a CD or floppy with important information you may have on your computer (financial data, house inventory with serial numbers, etc.)

#12262 - 01/21/03 10:32 PM Re: Grab and go bags?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Throw in a crowbar, or keep it near the bag. If it's truly a "grab and go" situation, a crowbar may be needed to escape or rescue others. You can get good ones anywhere for around $15. Cheap life insurance if you ask me.

A good pair of leather-palmed work gloves would also be handy for the same reasons.

John McIntire

#12263 - 01/21/03 11:19 PM Re: Grab and go bags?
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I totally agree a crowbar is an excellent idea. I keep a 3' bar under my bed, a good flashlite, a knife and my wallet on the nightstand. You may need or want the wallet for ATM, credit cards, cash and ID for loads of reasons.

I would also make sure each person keeps a pair of sturdy shoes near the bed. If eyeglasses are needed I would add an old pair. I would also add a list of emergency numbers, relatives, coworkers, neighbors etc.

Depending on how you dress for sleep it may be a good idea to add a tee shirt and old pants or something.

#12264 - 01/22/03 12:13 AM Re: Grab and go bags?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I sat down a while back and looked at all my gear / tools / toys pileing up in the garage / bedroom / kitchen / etc and realized that in an emergency I could do nothing fast but trip over all that stuff. I started over a year ago buying different bags in sizes and types. Now about half of everyhting I own is stored in a bag specifically for it. In the event of any type of emergency I can decided based on time available what I want to take. For example, I have my laptop bag, a special one that opens up as a small lap table so the laptop stays in it as well as a few cd's with backups of the important software and important data. I have all my other cd's that could be replaced if left behind if necessary in another case. I have my external cd burner, which I use to make all my backup cd's in a modified laptop case where it can be used from in the case making it easy to grab and go. I keep a small pack with anything I might need for a few day hotel stay in a small pack left in the truck. Another small pack has tools because its faster than pulling them out of the big toolbox in the garage into something that I can carry. I built a small shelf beside my bed where I keep my EDC cell phone and charger, leatherman, mag lite, etc. What has happend is I am now more prepared as well as organized. About 50% of the time I can now find things I need because they have a pack or bag where they belong and these packs are small enough and convient enough that I put stuff away. My plans now are to biuld another pack that can hold the hotel stay one and also carry some clothes/food/etc, and a wilderness bag.

#12265 - 01/22/03 02:45 AM Re: Grab and go bags?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're also using the modular approach to preparedness. I have an EDK that's very small and handy, always on my person or on the night stand and a PSK that's pretty darn good as well, and that's always hanging by the door. We could do fine with just those two items. but I too did a sub-set of the biger BOB kits in the basement in the event of a very quick exit.

What to put in the Grab & Go was a bit of a quandary for me for a long time. I too had too much stuff and to many packing methods. After trying boxes, large frame packs, duffel bags and other packing methods, I've found that the North Face Recon backpack neatly meets all of my grab-n-go requirements in terms of space and comfort.

Here's what's in our g-n-g bag, which is presumed to augment my EDK and PSK, which have Fire-making, Candles, some tools Signalling stuff in them already.

1 Larger First Aid Kit. We got it at EMS, it's called the "Guide" model , we added a bottle of potasium iodate to the kit
3 Liters of water in three bottles
1 Collapsing Cup
Assortment of Granola/Snack Foods
$200 Cash
Copies of the various "Important Papers"
2 CD's of family pictures
1 County Map
1. National Map
1 90 Minute Calling Card (AT&T)
1 LED Flashlight
10 AA Batteries (IKEA batteries are as good as or better than any I've ever used - they are made by Varta and are only $1.95 for 10!)
1 Yaesu VX-5 Radio with AA Battery Adaptor and 12 Lighter Adapter (I'm a ham operator, and this radio is a 2-way Radio/Scanner/AM/FM/TV Audio all in a tiny package)
1- Wool Blanket (Strapped to the bottom)
1- Space All Weather Blanket (an excellent thing!)
4 - Red Trash Bags (30 gallon)
8 - Gallon size Ziplock Bags
50' 3/8 " Nylon Rope
100' 1/4" Nylon Rope
1 Folding Saw (sandvik brand, amazing cutting power)

I'll be adding a crowbar to this kit now, that's a good idea.

#12266 - 01/22/03 06:14 AM Re: Grab and go bags? PICS?
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Eugene and martyf-
We'd love to see some pics of your GnG kits. Please private msg. me if you need space/help to post them. thanks!
-red_jeep

#12267 - 01/22/03 06:43 AM Re: Grab and go bags?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally i have a work overall!! I have bits and bobs in the pockets like documents, gloves, torch, knife etc. I have this in a small light bag so i could either throw it on as i got out of bed(if i couldn't find any clothes) or grab the bag and get it on when outside, an overall takes literally second to don!

Mark

#12268 - 01/22/03 02:14 PM Re: Grab and go bags?
NAro Offline
Addict

I guess I see this a bit differently that those posting so far. I don't think this is such a good idea.

For me (EDC and PSK aside) a BOB is just that... a Bug Out Bag! A bag with what I need to make it..(and the lists posted could go on forever..) and kept where I can grab it when I have to bug out. Fire, flood, invasion of the living dead, etc. One bag. Grab. Run.

My objection to a BOB and a grab and go (which I see as a mini-BOB) is related to how the mind functions in a crisis. One bag. Grab. Scram. No need to think/decide WHICH bag.
One bag. Always the same bag. Always in the same place. Grab. Scram.

#12269 - 01/22/03 05:22 PM Re: Grab and go bags?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am confused.

You have time to snatch a Grab-N-Go bag but not a BOB bag? What is the difference? If you have time to grab a bag, you have time to grab a bag.

In order for me to tell you what I think you need, I need to better understand how you are going to use this kit. Are you going to a hotel across town until the event ends or are you going Jerimah Johnson and live off th fat of the land, or somewhere in between? How big a container do you envision?

My BOBs are in day packs. Next to them I have a Rubbermaid tub with four fanny packs that are in essense BOB-lites or mini-BOBs. Bigger than a pocket kit but not yet a full blown BOB. I intend them to be used by the family as personal mini-BOBs that will be resupplied by the daypack BOBs. The daypack BOBs will be carried by the adults while everyone gets a fanny pack. The fanny pack will help act as a waist strap to shift some of the weight of the daypack to the hips.

The BOBs are designed to support two people but could be extended by use of the fanny packs. With two BOBs, if one is lost or damaged, we still have a fall back position.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.