Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#122725 - 02/05/08 11:31 PM Re: K&M Matchcases and REI stormproof matches... [Re: riprater]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted By: riprater
On a side note, I was never able to get a strike on box match to light on the inside of the stopper. I was occasionally able to light it on the aggressive knurling on the outside of the case, but
with only about a 60% success rate. That is when I upgraded to the longer case and now use the REI matches. Great piece of kit....

Strike on the Box....means they only light on the box striker....they should not be able to light on the inside of the stopper or on the knurling.

REI matches will not strike on anything other than the supplied striker pad also.

Strike Anywhere matches can be lit on the inside of the stopper or the knurling...particularily the brass case knurling.

Strike on the Box matches are essentially two-part matches. The striker chemical plus the match head chemical are BOTH required to ignite the match.

Strike Anywhere matches have all the necessary chemicals to friction ignite Anywhere....which I am guessing is why they are so named grin

Edited by Schwert (02/05/08 11:34 PM)

#122818 - 02/06/08 04:21 PM Re: K&M Matchcases and REI stormproof matches... [Re: Schwert]
riprater Offline
Stranger

Thanks Schwert for stating the obvious. Unless I am missing the obvious though, Strike Anywhere matches haven't been available for quite some time because of the shipping restrictions. Please tell me where I can buy some. I am aware you have a vested interest in defending the match case because of the knot you recommended, but I
thought people might want to know what to realistically expect-carry a strike pad and don't rely on the case as a striking surface...rely on it to keep your matches dry.

#122829 - 02/06/08 05:45 PM Re: K&M Matchcases and REI stormproof matches... [Re: riprater]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
It rather seemed the obvious needed stating eh? I was quite concerned that you had no basic understanding of the strike on the box match function.

Strike Anywhere matches are not available in certain locations depending on state or local laws. I can buy them in any grocery store in Washington. There is an internet site selling them and people offer them on ebay. If you do a search here you may be able to locate the internet vendor, I cannot quite recall the place. Some people who live in states that have restricted the sale, have found them in hardware stores in the BBQ area.

I really am not defending the matchcase, but I do highly recommend it, it requires no defending what-so-ever. As of last year, Keith Lunders is selling these without my assistance so I no longer have any financial interest in their sales.

The knot note has always pleased me.

#122852 - 02/06/08 08:46 PM Re: K&M Matchcases and REI stormproof matches... [Re: Schwert]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I when I'm out I actually carry two matchcases:

One is the K&M extended length case with REI matches and their strike pad. This is my emergency one. I haven't lit one of these matches in about a year, so I'd better use them up and rotate in some fresh ones soon. This case is so well made that I'm betting my life on it. BTW, I put some silicon grease on the o-rings to make them easier to use - really helps. The grease is made for o-rings and purchased from a pool store.

The other is the standard cheap orange plastic one found on many outdoor websites - this contains strike-anywhere matches and a small piece of emery board (my wife uses to work on her nails. I use this one for for day-to-day uses - mostly lighting my Coleman lantern. That lantern can't be lit with a lighter, so the matches are a requirement there. I haven't a clue whether the cheap matchcase is actually waterproof. I've been meaning to dunk it to find out, but haven't yet.

My fire-making kit also includes a MagFire fire steel, a Storm refillable lighter, and a ziplok bag of Vaseline-covered cotton balls. I've been meaning to put a few uncoated cotton balls in there just to make sure I can catch a spark.

Ken K.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.