Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#122347 - 02/02/08 12:13 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Blast

30-40 foot tall flames? Excellent!! Did your dad teach you the Zulu hide tanning technique after the fire was put out?

-Blast

In my family my mom wielded the hairbrush, my dad lectured. When one of the 5 of us got into trouble we prayed for the hairbrush, it hurt more, but it was over much quicker. My dad could make missionairies from the LDS starting looking at their watches and saying, "My look at the time, we really have to be going..."

#122350 - 02/02/08 01:24 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Andy]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
I think that "situation" belongs in the middle of the triangle.

The corners of the triangle are the solutions.

All situations require a different combination of the corners to solve the problem at the center of the triangle. I picture the triangle shifting or growing and shrinking in respone to the situation at hand.
If the situation requires gear and resoucefulness to solve then those corners move closer to the center.

#122376 - 02/02/08 05:35 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
My Friend Blast,
Are you OK? I haven't seen any posts of you blowing something up, hurting yourself or getting your tail whipped by a 5 pound kitten so far in 2008! You aren't ill are you?

Just really, really busy. The promotion at work buried me with projects and if I missed a day due to shrapnel wounds I'd be screwed. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#122405 - 02/03/08 12:34 AM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Congrats on the promo Blast!

Blitz

#122447 - 02/03/08 09:05 AM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blitz]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Hey Blast,
You forgot an important part - Don't annoy the cat
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#122448 - 02/03/08 09:14 AM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: KG2V]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Cats, rule don't you know that by now smile
They only allow us to think we rule them, when in fact we are thier servants.

#122523 - 02/03/08 11:20 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: katarin]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: katarin
Cats, rule don't you know that by now smile
They only allow us to think we rule them, when in fact we are thier servants.

Of course I know that - I'm owned by 2 cats
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#122527 - 02/04/08 12:38 AM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: teacher]
red Offline

So true.

One of my LEO buddies hangs with the local SWAT guys. He was surprised that they do 5 days of PT and only one day of weapons training weekly. When he asked why, the leader replied, "The mental part is the hardest, pushing yourself past the wall. We can't let ourselves go soft. The weapons stuff comes much easier, and is so fun that they'll do it on their own anyway."

A state trooper with whom I d ridealongs said that rookies are overly concerned about how up-to-date their equipment is. The veterans know that equipment, although important, takes a back seat to proficiency and situational awareness.

I place myself firmly in the camp that needs more practice!!!! I practice every moment I can with my EDC, but doing multi-day survival is much tougher to schedule.

#122568 - 02/04/08 03:53 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Perhaps I should have used the term “situational awareness”, as that is something one has control over. One can prepare/plan, have the training, equipment and be a resourceful person, but if one does not have the awareness of their current situation, disastrous results may occur.

The concept comes from the aviation field, so let’s use that as a basis for including situational awareness into the mix. A pilot can have a great deal of training, the best gear, have a plan of action/flight plan and even be a highly adaptable individual, but if they ignore their current situation or are in “tunnel vision” mode, they may end up overlooking seemingly small but critical pieces information/events that may led to catastrophic events.

Think of how many times while driving (or hiking) a long or routine trip do you find yourself on autopilot? Your mind wanders and you arrive at the destination and not even remember parts of the trip. This is an example of tunnel vision or lack of situational awareness and it is critical process in increasing your survivability for any event.

Just something to consider-
Pete

#122569 - 02/04/08 04:04 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: paramedicpete]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Pete,

That makes a lot more sense. Hmmm, to keep the triangle shape one could call that "planning" as in "contastantly updating one's plan" but that is a kludgey sort fix.

Another option would make one corner "Resourcefulness & Awareness" as they are both mind-bases activities but that also doesn't seem right.

Pete my friend, you may have just turned the triangle into a square!

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.