The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#122220 - 02/01/08 03:29 AM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: Stu]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
That was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw that picture, BRK&T Bravo-1.

#122228 - 02/01/08 04:42 AM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: Pablo]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Pablo - I had a knife very similar to this one. They are good sturdy knives. The only p$%s off I had was the little C shaped cut at the bottom back of the cutting edge. mad I have no idea why some knives have this cutout but it serves only to snag in just about everything.

#122348 - 02/02/08 12:52 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: Taurus]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
That thing is the spitting image of the BRK&T Bravo-1.
Looks like a sturdy little field knife.

I'm with Taurus on the little notch at the back of the blade. The knife will snag .

#122357 - 02/02/08 03:31 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: Pablo]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I keep on comparing these fancy custom knives to the Fallkniven's (F1), Coldsteels (Master Hunter) and Buck knives (692T) and going "No, Thank you."

#122359 - 02/02/08 03:45 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: porkchop]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

You hold it in your hand and presumably it will cut.

Pretty much the reason for being, and definition of, a knife. What more do you want?

You could likely get similar cutting performance for a lot less money. But there is the human factor. It is not just a knife. It is going to be Your knife and it is fairly important that it works well for you, that you like it and and that you have some level of confidence in it. So the 'lowest bidder meeting the minimum requirement' approach may not be the best way.

How much more your willing to spend to bridge the difference between 'what works' and what works for you is entirely a decision between you, your self-image and, your wallet.

IMO there are perfectly functional and useful knives out there for $10 and up depending on size, name brand and features.

Many of our ancestors got by in much tougher times than we are likely to see with some pretty marginal blades. For every Jim Bowie masterpiece or knife forged and ground out in a workmanlike manner by a craftsman there were thousands of knives crudely hacked out of any available material and pressed into use. If you try you can find knives that are nearly useless today, often stamped out of stainless only suitable for soup spoons, but as long as you avoid the no-name producers and discount flea market knives it is pretty hard to find one that doesn't have some merits.

The general quality of steel used and craftsmanship applied has risen steadily over the last thirty years. Used to be the market was flooded with cheap Indian and Bangladeshi knock-offs of buck knives selling for about $5. Sometimes as low as $2. Now for not much more than that price, usually about $10, you can find a functional model made of a perfectly serviceable steel.

IMHO the sweet spot, where you get the most knife for the least amount of money, for a functional fixed-blade knife with a roughly 4" blade is about $50. Sometimes a bit more or less.

You can spend a lot more but, for the most part, your not buying function. Your buying a name or serving a psychological need for style or uniqueness, imagined reliability or capability. Nothing wrong with that as long as you can afford the indulgence and your aware of what is driving you.

I have seen people spend a load of money on a knife that becomes something of a signature. Many an otherwise gray functionary has set himself apart by being the guy with the custom blade. As long as they can afford to buy it without neglecting something else, or thinking it makes them special, I'm unconcerned and happy that they like their knife.

Unfortunately in this consumerist society a lot of people try to buy skill by buying the higher dollar tool. They overlook that the performance and effectiveness of a tool largely comes from the hand holding it. I have seen remarkable feats of field craft done with a $7 Boyscout knife and I have seen high dollar custom knives so ineptly handled that they were a detriment to getting anything done and a hazard to everyone around them.

#122360 - 02/02/08 03:47 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Personally my ceiling for just about any knife purchase is $99.

It sound ridiculous compared to most of the knives you folks generally recommend but I've never spent more than that on a knife and some of my favorites were as cheap as $35.

#122561 - 02/04/08 01:49 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: paramedicpete]
BHShaman Offline
Stranger

This thread is an interesting read.
* 1/3 saying to buy a less expensive knife.
* 1/3 saying to spend more and by a Busse.
* 1/3 saying an alternative with different dimensions at same price is a better deal.
((same price for same approximate style seems like a fair and equal comparison.))
- Couple saying, "buy what pleases you".

Here is their blog...
It shows you were the cost comes in.
Every part is worked by hand at some point.
Even the pins.
Enjoy.

http://downeastknife.com/blog/dkc_news.html

disclaimer: I'm the webmaster, so I am a bit biased.
But, the "Buy what pleases you" comment echoes with me.
Personally, I like that they are actually crafting every part.
To me it makes it much more of a custom knife to me than some of the alternatives at the same price point.

Have a great day.
laugh

#122571 - 02/04/08 04:06 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: BHShaman]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
i went for a knife that felt good in my hand that i liked the looks of and was at a good price. i went for a massed produced knife from gerber the harsey hunter. gerber have stopped making this knife so i stocked up abit on spares smile
not to everyones tastes but my choices where somewhat limited by both my location and price.

cough cough i have 2 more coming i managed to pickup off of ebay

#122581 - 02/04/08 05:55 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: Jackal]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think the 'what pleases you' theory is the safest one. We each have our preferences ranging from an $8 Mora to several hundred dollars of custom made, hand polished, cutlery.

After reading Jackal's post (I'm jealous BTW. I've love to have a dozen of those around!) I realize that price really doesn't have anything to do with it...despite my previous comments.

If you like the knife (including how it works/feels), and are willing to trust your life to it should things come to that, and you're willing to pay regardless of how many zero's are on the tag, then it's a good knife for you.

Now there are always caveats to this as the uneducated person might gravitate to the cheapest hollow handled survival knife on the shelf and 'like it' for the wrong reasons but education is the responsibility of the consumer...buyer beware and all that jazz. We're all here because we take the time to learn and research things so I doubt that would even apply to anybody who would take the time to log into a site such as this one.

I for one am going to stop talking about price when I talk about knives...it's hard for me to do...because I'm a cheapskate. And that doesn't mean I'm going to stop buying inexpensive knives...because I'm a cheapskate. It's just too easy to equate how good a knife is with how much it costs. The last time I was telling somebody that I only paid $34 for my Buck 119 Special new (a $75+ knife up here normally), the person immediately assumed it was a fake, knockoff, or a 'special' special made with substandard meterials and sold cheaper than a 'real' 119...it's just how a lot of people think. Why bring it up if it's just going to complicate things? I know I'm going to avoid it from now on.

#122584 - 02/04/08 06:25 PM Re: Thoughts on this knife? [Re: ]
BHShaman Offline
Stranger

Buck knives are the everyman knife for sure.
Who can buy an American made 110 equivalent for as little as they can sell them for. They must be a lead loss to get people into the specialty steel versions from LLBean, Cabelas, and BassPro.

I know they suckered me in when I loved the 102 and had to get a 802SS for the S30V. Will it do any job better that the 4XXHC? probably not. But I like the steel better and don't mine the cost compared to how long I'll own it. wink

Glad to see a forum with friendly conversations!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.