Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#122254 - 02/01/08 01:00 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Blast
Excelent observation even though I could have done without you pointing out my obvious lack of planning. blush

#122255 - 02/01/08 01:07 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Great post Blast very well thought out. But what does this have to do with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl? grin

Blitz

#122256 - 02/01/08 01:16 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blitz]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Great post Blast very well thought out. But what does this have to do with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl?

Planning: How much beer do I need?
Preparation: Buying the beer.

Gear: Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Resourcefulness: Using friend's shirt as a tissue to wipe away tears of joy when Giants totally screw up.

grin grin grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#122257 - 02/01/08 01:24 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I will make the suggestion to add in one more line making it a three-dimensional figure and that is “Situation”. The implementation of the other three lines is dependent upon the situation. Not all situations call for the same reaction, making the system dynamic and fluid.

Pete

#122259 - 02/01/08 01:41 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
Great post Blast very well thought out. But what does this have to do with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl?

Planning: How much beer do I need?
Preparation: Buying the beer.

Gear: Beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Resourcefulness: Using friend's shirt as a tissue to wipe away tears of joy when Giants totally screw up.

grin grin grin

-Blast

grin grin grin

Its like you're reading my mind.

#122265 - 02/01/08 02:51 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blast]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Blast - excellent post.

My area that needs the most work is training/ physical fitness. Gear is easy; just buy a bunch....

Teacher

Off to the gym...

#122267 - 02/01/08 02:57 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Blitz]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I like the concept of the triangle. And agree for the most part, but also remember that you do not need to fight every leg of the triangle to put out the fire. If you remove the fuel, air, heat or can interrupt the chemical reaction that is causing the fire, then you might put it out.

It also depends on what is burning and the size of the fire. If you have a fire involving something like calcium hypochlorite (pool chlorine), you will probaly need to just get away. It will supply oxygen to a fire from it's decomposition, which accelerates with heat. Or if it can be handled with water or an extinguisher or something, do that.

The situation you are faced with might be able to be handled by any one of the corners of Blast's triangle or by a combination or two or maybe all three. We are more prepared when we have all three corners available to us, but how frequent are those times?

And there is one more thing to add, and it really is jsut adding to the resourcefulness comments, THE ABILITY TO KEEP YOUR HEAD AND ACT.

When I was in grad school, I put out a car fire. A classmate came in and placed an emergency call, which I heard, saying her car was on fire. I walked over to an extinguisher, grabbed it, popped her hood, discharged the extinguisher under the hood, and the fire was out. The fire dept. arrived a few minutes later, I spoke to them and told them the car was still hot, and the fire was out. And I went back inside to study. Some of my fellow students were "amazed" that I knew what to do and acted. To me it was and for most people it should be nothing to really get excited about. I think the posters here with fire training would think this was small potatos, as far as a fire goes. But for some of my fellow students, these highly educated and intelligent people would not know to grab a fire extinguisher, read the instructions and use it. Their minds were not trained to deal with any situations that required such actions.

Part of the learning and knowing what to do needs to include testing yourself to know that you will be able to think and act correctly when TSHTF or in any time of need. IMO, the way to learn how to handle some stress is to sometimes put yourself under it. I think Blast's mention of Hacksaw and Taurus using and testing out their gear is part of this.

#122268 - 02/01/08 03:01 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: teacher]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Blast- a most excellent post.

I'd like to suggest a wee tiny modification to add PRACTICE as a specific item going with Planning & Preparation. If you made it a 4th corner that wouldn't be over emphasizing it in my opinion.

While one could argue that Preparation includes practice, the usual behavior is that the actual get-out-and-try-it learning may be the thing left for later because it requires a dedicated block of time and effort to do and a willingness to try some adverse conditions.

Now, about those coeds..... whereabouts did you say they were?

#122271 - 02/01/08 03:31 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: paramedicpete]
Alejandro Offline
Stranger

Loc: Caracas - Venezuela
+1 on situation. I always wonder why you guys need that much stuff to keep you warm. Isn’t is always 90F outside….!!!
Regards

#122273 - 02/01/08 04:00 PM Re: Blast's thoughts on survival (long) [Re: Alejandro]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Great job man...and not too long at all.

One thing I'd like to expand on that you mentioned briefly...

I was reviewing my SAR training manual recently as it's an amazing text for survival related information. I hit on the physical fitness requirements of a SAR volunteer and realized that I've been neglecting them over the winter.

Blast mentions that you should use your gear for it to be useful (something which comes up many times in the posts on this forum). I realized after reading this post that his goes for your body too! This is an excellent reason to stay in reasonably good shape if not great shape.

This is one of my weakest areas as I don't get outside as often as I want to...especially in winter. Last week I started walking to work and back (30-40 minutes each way) despite the cold we've been experiencing. You might think you've got good cardio...try it with -35C air in your lungs. In the summer I can walk nearly indefinately as long as I've got water and the pace is right despite a touch of asthma. If I had to carry a heavy pack to work, I'm not sure I'd make it without having to stop for a breather...or several breathers!

Your body is your most important tool. Take good care of it and keep it sharp!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.