Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#121943 - 01/30/08 02:15 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Thank you all for your comments and kind words. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and there is more than one way to survive in the woods I guess. My kit works for me, but may not for the next guy. My old man was never in the Army, but he would give survivorman a run for his money any day of the week. His hunting kit usually consists of a BIC lighter, an old ragged plaid coat, rubber boots, a 60 year old knife that has been sharpened 1000 times at least, and a pocket full of loose bullets. He never takes a compass but has never been lost. Every time we go hunting together he gets the bigger animal and manages to teach me something I never knew before. I have a 2700 dollar gun and he uses an old .303 British rifle and can shoot better with iron sights than I can with my scope half the time. I am by no means a slouch in the field, but with my thousands of dollars in fancy stuff he will always show me some new survival trick. It goes to show that gear is gear but skill and experience can’t be bought at MEC. (I still like my gear better than his though) crazy

To answer a few questions:

MDinana – When I wrote the post it was -48 deg outside, but this is an older picture taken on another trip. It was only around -5 or -10 at the time.

Billym – The peak 1 works great for me. The peak 1 and the Coleman 2 burner are current Army issue. I got a couple of peaks and 1 of the 2 burner stoves simply because I can get unlimited free parts at work. When the temp really drops, Naphtha is far superior to other types of fuel IMHO. No valves to freeze like with propane stoves, and no heating paste used with other types unless you are using kerosene as fuel. Parts are easy to replace and the stove is easy to light and operate with gloves (big plus this time of year) the peak on the highest setting can get boiling water from solid ice in about 5 min flat. With a full tank of fuel and with what’s in the MSR bottle I can easily make it last a couple of days. The fact that the peak 1 is a multi-fuel stove is a big seller as well. (Naphtha, kerosene and apparently gasoline which I have never tried)

Hacksaw – no there is nothing wrong with shooting bunnies as long as you intend to eat them. They make a NICE stew. If you need professional help, then I must be going straight to hell. You don’t even need a license to shoot rabbit in Alberta, only to trap them. You are the only Albertan I know who doesn’t own at least 1 rifle. It’s time to give in to peer pressure. Be careful though, if you think survival gear is addictive then wait till you get involved with shooting as a hobby. I spend 10 times more on reloading and guns than I ever will on survival gear. My first gun was a .22 as well, now at over 40 guns I still want more. I am currently trying to get Wholesale sports to special order me a Smith & Wesson .500 revolver for the low price of 1300 bucks. The Ruger 10/22 is a great little gun like MoBOB said. They are fairly cheap as well. The reason I got one is that they are probably the most customizable rifle on earth and one of my hobbies is fooling with guns. If you want better reliability, especially in Alberta weather then I would suggest a bolt action over a semi-auto any day. Look at the Remington model 504. Those survival models are compact, but loose and clumsy and thus very inaccurate. You are Best off with a full size as they are really light anyway, but with far superior performance. For ease of maintenance nothing beats a bolt action rifle.

JohnnyUpton - The fishing kit in my core gear is for emergencies only. It’s more of a comfort item than a real lifesaver. If I am going ice fishing instead of hunting then I take the appropriate gear for that task. I guarantee you that if my life depended on it I could get through 18 inches of ice with my Kukri in short order. In my opinion at least, it would be LESS practical to bring the extra weight/bulk for a dedicated ice auger or the like. I keep the small fishing kit because the ice isn’t always 18 inches thick (it stays in my kit as part of my summer gear as well) I would most likely have more luck using the hooks with my roll of wire and using them to hook Magpies or crows in a survival situation than fish. It’s actually not a very important part of my kit, that’s why I kept it small and simple. Besides, in Alberta at this time of year if I was lost and help wasn’t soon to arrive I wouldn’t be wasting energy screwing around with holes in the ice but rather I would be building a fire, a shelter and then finding a way to signal for help. I don’t know what part of the USA you hail from but in Alberta, Canada in January you will freeze to death long before you need to worry about fishing. That’s why I have such an emphasis on FIRE, SHELTER, and SIGNALLING.
I carry a fleece toque in my pocket when not worn and a neoprene neck warmer/gaiter in my bag if needed. Usually when the snow starts falling hard I pull up my hood. I did mention that I have a FAK. The items are the same as everyone else probably has so I didn’t get into much detail. The clothing that I wear would have made the post too long so I didn’t touch on it much. Maybe I will in a different post. Yes, the peak comes with the case.

Sorry for the long reply, but since you guys took the time to ask questions it would be rude not to reply with an answer.

#121945 - 01/30/08 02:38 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Thanks for the tips bro.

One of the reasons I've been thinking about dabbling with hunting small game is because it's a skill I don't have (both the shooting and the dismantling of a woodland critter) and one day eating one might be the key to my survival...and that's not the right time to learn. The other reason I that I hear they're good eating!

Back to the fishing I couldn't imagine a worse place to be than on a lake at -48C. No shelter, no wood for fire, and killer wind potential. The night before last there were areas in Alberta gusting to nearly 100kmh...the lakes must have been lethal cold.

#121949 - 01/30/08 03:05 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

For what you intend to do with it, it would be hard to beat the good old .22 rifle: Accurate, no recoil, minimal noise, minimal weight, cost effective and very reliable. A crate of 5000 rounds only costs 250 bucks. That’s one hell of a lot of shooting. Skinning ANY game isn’t pleasant, but it is something that you will get used to over time. (If you have kids then changing diapers is FAAARRRR worst than dressing any rabbit. sick) When cooked right, rabbit and grouse are VERY tasty items indeed.

I hear you on the cold snap we are having. Our pickup truck at work was down today because all the flipping fluids froze. The hydraulic fluid in our forklift froze and the lines busted. And we needed a torch to de- ice all the bunker locks. The news said that it was -55 deg cel at Edmonton international today. I took a bottle of water outside and actually watched it freeze in my hand. Kina neat actually…..

#121954 - 01/30/08 03:37 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Taurus,

I have been enjoying your posts and the replies, Thanks.

Hacksaw, concerning lightweight, takedown .22 cal rimfire rifles I was in the mood to buy a new toy last spring and went through the same comparison shopping of models you are. I think the Ruger 10/22 is the best rifle of the bunch, but I wanted a take-down version from the factory without having to buy aftermarket parts (I still may buy a 10/22 just because I want one). I then looked at all the other take-downs and settled on the Marlin Papoose which I used quite a bit last fall and was happy with it. The post about this purchase can be found here http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113157&fpart=1 Taurus is right, your from Alberta, you need a rifle!

Taurus, I am also a very active hunter/handloader/shooter but I have never got into handguns because of them not being legal to hunt with/carry in Canada. Is the S&W .500 for bear protection, what are the legal requirements like to get a wildlife protection carry permit in Alberta?

Any chance of fitting a compressed sleeping bag in you winter kit? I bought one years ago called "The Kilo" that weighs just that and compresses small. It is not rated very low but with a layered approach like Hacksaw discribed earlier it would proably take the edge off the cold. A Heatsheet Bivy Bag would also be a good addition in your pack if you had to spend a night out, and a Heetsheet blanket in your on-body pocket would be handy if you had to ditch your pack. AMK Heetsheet stuff is available at MEC or LeBarons in Canada, I have bought from both (LeBarons is often slightly cheaper but MEC has far better customer service). When I got turned around last fall with just my on-body kit it was the shelter aspect I was lacking/wishing for most.

I understand your rational for not wanting the bulk/weight of an ice auger but what I often do is replace the machete with a mid-side axe. The axe I use the most for chopping ice when I am testing the thickness for safety is the rubber handled-steel shafted Estwing. It is very easy to break the wooden handle on an axe when chopping ice (you need to chop in a long V shape, and clear the centre ice before you punch through or you will get very wet from splash). An axe is heavier and more clumbersome but does chop/split better.

While snowmobiling I have found old ice fishing holes on remote lakes (as Hacksaw mentioned) that I just punched-out with my heel and used with success. The holes freeze over from the outside-in so you may end up swaging your fish through a small 4" hole that was originally a big 10" hole.

Here is a debate; I have eaten a few US MRE's and many Canadian IMP's and call me patriotic but I like the Canadian ones better ... eh? Although the cracker in the MRE is much better than the bread in an IMP.

I agree with you about the Canadian Artic Mitts being great. I needed a new pair in Black to replace my 10 year old ones and the only place I could find them was at SIR here http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php...6841217c98fcff8

How do you folks compress a long product reference like above to a small link (sorry I am new to this computer stuff)?

Finally I have to agree with you about the skill of old experienced woodsmen, what they lack in equipment they sure make up for in knowledge and grit.

Good thread Taurus.

Mike

#121956 - 01/30/08 03:47 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hey Taurus,

We are the opposite weather wise here 1/2 way across the country, it was +2*c today and the snowpacked roads all melted. The grader went past twice and filled my huge driveway I share with my neighbour with 2 feet of very heavy slop. It was tough shoveling but if I did not remove it ASAP then I would have a solid ice wall in the morning, that my DW would back into with the mini-van, again.

Mike

#121971 - 01/30/08 05:23 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: SwampDonkey]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Make no mistake. There is no way in hell I will ever be legally allowed to carry a .50 cal hand gun in Canada but I still can own one. I will only be able to take it to the range. Funny how my government trained me to use every weapon from the 9mm service pistol up to and including the Eryx anti-tank missile but will not trust me to carry a simple pistol for protection in civi land. I am still deciding on the purchase of this gun. Some would ask why I would want a handgun which is capable of shooting down a satellite in orbit. My answer is that sometimes we need to buy things that make no sense at all, just for fun. I love talking about survival on this forum, but survival aside I also enjoy LIVING. I love high power handguns, especially one that has bullets as long as my finger and as big around as quarter.
Sooooooo… a fellow re-loader eh? Nice to know if I have any questions. I spent this weekend reloading some new Hornady XPT 125 grain JHPs for my .357 mag. Next weekend if I don’t head out to Smokey lake for a bit of ice fishing I have a fresh box of Barnes - x triple shock 168 grain, and Hornady SST 150 grain in .30-06 to do using accurate 2700 powder.
To answer this question, I have considered a lightweight sleeping bag or sleep system like Hacksaw has, but the bulk is the killer. I try to keep the meat compartment of my pack clear for the game and fish. If I take too much stuff there is less room for the game. On those occasions where I do take a sleep system I usually just take my Army issued stuff as It is rated to about -60 deg cel. I hate to buy new stuff when the Army gives it to me for free. I have been turned around once or twice myself and had to spend the night away from safety. Usually with a roaring fire, fresh green bows for a bed, and my reflective tarp made into a nice lean-to I am quite comfortable. My best defense against the Alberta cold is my clothing and I rely on that more than a sleeping bag. I could probably curl up in the snow and take a good nap without any problem with my clothing system. I used to head out with a Mustang survival suit but changed because the one piece suits allow very little ventilation. While walking, even in this cold ventilation is so very important as no matter what you will sweat while snowshoeing. Maybe I will post my clothes system later so we can compare notes so to speak.
I used to carry a Gerber axe but the Kukri fit flat in my pack and thus was easier to carry. You would be surprised at how this knife can dig and chip through ice. By using a downward stabbing motion rather than a chop it gets through ice rather fast. It doesn’t send chips of ice up into your face like an axe does either. It is a bit slower granted, but still does the job.
I have eaten just about every countries Military rations and a lot will agree that Canada produces some of the best. The biggest [censored] off IMO is that a lot of the items rely on hot water(instant mashed potatoes, rice, dressing etc) This is fine when I am hunting on my own time but a real pain when on operations and you need to eat fast and don’t have time for boiling water. Every field exercise I go on I end up getting a bunch of them to take home so I can’t complain I suppose. Military rations are not cheap. All the rations allocated to a unit before an exercise are written off by supply and replacements ordered. When the unit gets back from the field whatever is left is considered expended and cannot be restocked. If I don’t take them home they will be thrown into a dumpster. I cannot stand by and see this happen so I usually take the whole lot home rather than see them wasted. What I don’t need I give away. I have collected 10 CASES for my emergency food supply, plus a bunch for hunting and 6 which remain in my truck at all times. I have given my neighbor several cases as well. He loves them (a civilian) but after eating rations every day for months on end in Afghanistan I would gladly take a case of American MREs in exchange. The snack bread and jalapeño cheese spread in the MREs is awesome.

If you want a pair of Canadian Military issued arctic mittens check ebay as they have some for 20 bucks. This is a steal as they are about 150 bucks a pair. The only drawback is that you need to take them off for any detailed work. They are rated to -50 or -60 deg cel so it’s hard to beat the warmth they offer. especially for snowmobiling. The new versions are replacing the old trigger mitts and have a single retractable finger so you can pull a trigger with them on. If you want black the closest you will find are made in the USA by wiggys but they are Expensive suckers. check them out at http://wiggys.com

#121975 - 01/30/08 06:19 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Taurus,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I hear you brother about no handgun hunting in Canada, I wish we could use them but can't; therefore I am not in to them and spend my play cash on other stuff.

Let me know how your Barnes bullets shoot, I have only used them in my muzzleloader, where they worked great. I have a bunch of Nosler Partions in stock so I have been using them up before I give the new Barnes- X triple shocks a try. I have shot a lot of deer with Hornady Spire points (.30 cal 165gr and 180 gr) with good success, not as rapid expansion/energy transfer but then they almost always exited, leaving a good blood trail. This is nice as we rifle hunt deer in very thick balsam cover. I used Nosler B-Tips (similar to SST's) on 6 deer and they usually went down on the spot, but penetration was limited do to rapid expansion.

The sleep system I was thinking about is a smaller one than Hacksaw posted; like a small bag (maybe the inner bag of the Canadian system), with a Heetsheet Bivy inside or maybe outside, used in combination with your clothing to reach cold weather temps.

I had a one piece mustang suit about 10 years ago and would really sweat in it when drilling ice holes by hand. The foam insulation came loose and all fell to the bottom so I trashed it. I used a Scent-Lok suit this year while deer hunting in the snow and got extremely hot, it trapped the heat in to the point where even my poly-pro undershirt was soaked.

I have the same Kurki machete as you and when I find it in the house I will give it a try on the lake ice?

I have eaten a lot of Canadian rations but only a few American, I like there snack bread and jam better than ours.

I have found the white Canadian Mitts at Army Surplus Stores for a good price but I needed a pair in black colour. The new ones sold at SIR are the current military issue and you can get them in both colours, so I bought a black pair for around $100.00. They are the best mitts I have ever used, I wear Thermax glove liners inside the mitts so when I take the big mitts off to work my hands do not freeze.

I liked the pack you posted earlier and was suprised on the reasonable price when I checked out the website.

Later,

Mike

#121979 - 01/30/08 06:51 AM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I just realized while browsing for a good bolt action rifle is that I'm left handed. Might be an argument for a semi-auto though I hear those can be tricky for south paws too.

Looks like Savage makes some inexpensive left hand bolt action models.

I appreciate the advice guys.

#122002 - 01/30/08 02:14 PM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Goodmorning Hacksaw,

Being left handed does limit the amount of bolt action models available, often safety catches are then backwards too. My hunting partner is left hand but has never had a problem firing right handed semi-autos/pumps/levers/breaks actions , I tested the Papoose for this last year with no problem.

If you are left handed you should also check which is your dominant eye. I know a few people who are cross-eye dominant (more who are left handed), if you are cross-eye dominant then you have to decide if you are going to shoot with your strong hand or strong eye.

Here is an article on how to test which eye is dominant, it is very easy and takes about 10 sec. http://woolleyshooting.com/Articles/eye.html

Do you have the Federal PAL process done yet, it takes a while?

Good luck,

Mike

#122012 - 01/30/08 03:49 PM Re: my winter hunting survival CORE gear (pic warn [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've signed up for a firearms safety course with AHIEA in a couple of weeks. I've also been researching what I need to do to get my PAL (exams, etc) though it's hard to find anything from work as any website that even mentions a firearm gets blocked by IT. I also plan on taking their online Conservation and Hunter Education Training course this week.

Even if I don't become a huge hunter, I still want to learn about it. If nothing else, it will be a great benefit to my SAR work.

I did the dominant eye test (and found more online) and it would appear that I'm one of the rare people who are equally dominant in either eye as every test I tried didn't really work. I know I had a dominant eye when I wore glasses but that may have chanced since my laser eye surgery a year ago. When I point at something in the distance I see two fingers equally as well.

Years ago I tried firing a semi-auto .22 right handed and it was too awkward to be safe...just thinking about the logistics of it now make my head spin as I'm VERY left handed...like using a right handed hockey stick. I can't even visualize how I'd hold it!

The Papoose looks like a quality gun...and it breaks down which is what I'm looking for. I may start with something more affordable like a second hand gun just to get going. I'm also intrigued by the Henry Repeating Arms US Survival Rifle. It's inexpensive enough that if I catch the same bug Taurus has I won't break the bank right away and get a good financial head start on the next purchase.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.