Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#122031 - 01/30/08 08:07 PM Re: Flood zones - what's a good boat? [Re: eric_2003]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I think you will see that most flood evacuation boats used by Fire/Rescue Services tend to be of the Jon/flat bottom style. They are stable, can operate with a low HP outboard engine (or even be paddled) can be used to load and transport family members/friends (think kids, older folks and pets) and limited supplies/home valuables with fewer issues then an inflatable, canoe or kayak. Since many flooding conditions result in contaminated water (sewage, petroleum, pesticides, etc.) using a stable flat bottom boat decreases your chances of having to enter the water, whether due to capsizing or simply loading the boat.

Keep in mind, we are talking flooding conditions not swiftwater and unless you have the training and proper equipment, never attempt to enter (swimming, fording or in a boat) water that is moving.

Pete

#122045 - 01/30/08 10:10 PM Re: Flood zones - what's a good boat? [Re: paramedicpete]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You really don't know who or what you'll end up having to carry/rescue. I'd go for a John Boat just for the stability and capacity.

#122056 - 01/30/08 11:43 PM Re: Flood zones - what's a good boat? [Re: Jeff_M]
eric_2003 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Could you tell us a little more about how you foresee using the boat in a flood, some more about the type of conditions found in the flood area, and the budget you had in mind?

Jeff

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. The Jon boat sounds interesting. We live in a detached house on a small lot in an urban city, but we are in a city that even David Suzuki thinks is a high risk flood zone (predicted to flood over the next 50-100 years; we just barely evaded flooding last Spring with the snow pack melt coming down the Fraser River). Our house is less than 1 minute from the dyke, and we are in BC Canada right along the earthquake zone as well. Tsunami's are less of a concern (more Vancouver Island), river waters rising over the dyke from the snow pack melt (especially during high tide & concurrent with a storm surge).

The jon boat sounds like a great idea because of capacity (carrying bug-out bag, extra water and supplies etc, along with my wife and myself. We also would evacuate our two cats (who are more well behaved than Blast's cats). We would have to also evacuate our family members (same subdivision, but right on the dyke)(3 adults, 1 cat, 1 dog).

Thanks!

#122079 - 01/31/08 01:32 AM Re: Flood zones - what's a good boat? [Re: eric_2003]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If space is not a problem, a jon boat. Even old, worn out, bad back, two repaired shoulders, I can carry a 12 or 14 footer a ways by myself.

If space is a problem, I would look into a Fold-a-boat . I have never used one myself, but I have seen more than one 70 year old RVer running around a lake in one with no problem...

#122081 - 01/31/08 01:41 AM Re: Flood zones - what's a good boat? [Re: eric_2003]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would go for a sturdy John boat. Granted they are less efficient for paddling or poling and can't get into very tight spots like a canoe can but you do get something in return.

A john boat is much more stable. A consideration if you need to pull someone out of the water and working with or rescuing people who are unfamiliar with boats and how to get in and out of them. If the boat overturns your not going to be much use to yourself or others.

A john boat can more easily mount an outboard but this is a minor advantage. In a flood the water is likely to be choked with trash and materials that don't cooperate with outboards. I would plan on sculling, paddling or poling the boat. A john boat has a slight advantage in poling and they are hard to scull. You can pole a canoe but you risk falling in if you hit something or the current shifts.

The one real advantage a canoe has is that paddling it you have a better chance of fighting a current. Something to keep in mind if your location features raging torrents when it floods.

In selecting a john boat I would look for something light so it can be loaded or unloaded or portaged over obstacles by one person. One with at least enough capacity for four people or two people and a lot of gear. Also a design that resists abrasion and puncture if you go over a steel fence post and can take being beached on sharp rocks repeatedly. A design with a good amount of reserve flotation so it can still safely carry people if it is swamped.

#122100 - 01/31/08 05:45 AM Re: Flood zones - what's a good boat? [Re: eric_2003]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
If you are limited in storage space you might want to think about a folding kayak. Here are a couple of build your own sites and designs.
Pak Yak
and
[url=
http://www.vhcbsa.org/camping/kayak.pdf]A scout design[/url]

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#122121 - 01/31/08 02:07 PM Re: Flood zones - what's a good boat? [Re: Raspy]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
If you decide on adding an outboard to the johnboat, look for a short shaft.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.