The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#121543 - 01/26/08 11:30 PM Last week I went to help a friend
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Last week I went to help a friend of some do some work a remote section of his ranch. This section is a 40-acre parcel that is located 25 miles from the nearest town or home and out side our particular companies cell coverage. We went out for the day to work on a windmill and do some repairs on an old pole barn. As we drove into the gate around the pole barn the truck started puking steam and water, a quick check showed a probable blown head gasket. We didn’t worry because my buddy’s wife would come to see if we were ok shortly after dark when we didn’t show up. But we know if that had happened I wouldn’t be writing this. Unknown to us my friends wife (and only one who knew where we were going) was called away because her mom had gone into the hospital.
We did the work we had planned on and then we found some more to do. We had brought a lunch and a thermos of coffee, and since my buddy has over the years preached at me about being prepared and about keeping a kit in my truck. I left my kit in my truck knowing after so many years of preaching my best friend in the world would be well prepared for any problems. Again if that were the case I would probably not be writing this. After it got dark and Sandi hadn’t shown up we decided we might need to think about making a camp for the night. When I asked my friend where his kit was he looked at me kind of strange and said in the truck. After a few minutes he did ad that it was in his other truck cause it was his normal driver. After a little digging we came up with 3 old Mre’s that were over 10 years old, a couple of blankets and a couple of emergency Mylar space blankets and a large tarp. To make a longer story a little shorter we used the Mylar blankets and the tarp to close in a portion of the pole barn and were able to spend three fairly comfortable days and nights despite the temperature being in the high teens and low 20’s.It took Sandi three days to realized she hadn’t heard from us and sent help. Parts of the Mre’s were still edible (kind of) and we didn’t go hungry. There is one tender looking steer that doesn’t know how close he came to being supper. Lessons learned take your kit even if you think it is not needed and even if you think your buddy has his. Hay is great insulation on a clod night if used under and over you. The paper matches in old Mre’s still work (thankfully) The most valuable lesson was Stay away from really old MREs chocolate it may not kill you but it will make you wish you could rip out your taste buds and the final lesson you can rag on your buddy for days on end when he thinks he is the cause of the problem.

#121544 - 01/26/08 11:45 PM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: raydarkhorse]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the story Raydarkhorse and glad to hear you and your buddy are alright.

Sounds like you did just fine with the limited equipment you had to work with.

Mike

#121550 - 01/27/08 01:12 AM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: SwampDonkey]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the story. And the reminder - always carry YOUR kit. A backpack with food, com. gear, some basic clothes and tools makes all the difference. $20 worth of stuff makes a huge difference out in the field.

Teacher

#121564 - 01/27/08 02:15 AM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: ]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

We knew hat there was no signal from past experieance so we didn't even carry our phones.

#121567 - 01/27/08 02:17 AM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: raydarkhorse]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
What did you have for EDC and did it help out?

Mike

#121572 - 01/27/08 02:47 AM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: SwampDonkey]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

My EDC was a Benchmade Sequel, a bandanna, a Fisher space pen, and a Mini Mag with a Niteize led and my Colt Commander. Most of my EDC is in my computer bag that I left in my truck too. I did use the Benchmade and my flashlight fairly extensively. If you don’t have the led for your Mini Mag get it. It’s not as bright but it lasts a lot longer than the regular incandescent bulbs one set of batteries lasted for the entire time we were there. I also used the Bandanna to keep my ears warm

#121574 - 01/27/08 02:54 AM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: raydarkhorse]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow, that reminds me of Chris K's story of being stranded on the island within view of the California costal freeway. It sounds like you did a great job with hardly any gear which show be the aim of all of us here.

Questions so as to learn from you:
How did you get water to drink?
How did you hang the tarp and mylar blankets?
What gear did you have on you that you used (pocket knife, multitool, flashlight, etc...)?
Dare I ask...toilet paper (from MRE's?)
What would you have done if Sandi hadn't showed up and how long would you have waited before doing something?

Thanks and great job!
-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#121584 - 01/27/08 03:43 AM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: Blast]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Blast
Questions so as to learn from you:
How did you get water to drink?
How did you hang the tarp and mylar blankets?
What gear did you have on you that you used (pocket knife, multitool, flashlight, etc...)?
Dare I ask...toilet paper (from MRE's?)
What would you have done if Sandi hadn't showed up and how long would you have waited before doing something?

Thanks and great job!
-Blast

We got water from the wind mill we repaired plenty of good water as long as you got it from the pipe intead of the tank.
To hang the tarps and mylar blankets we used some of the bailing strings on the hay rolls and tied them to the uprights in the pole barn
My pocket knife, mini mag and bandanna came in useful. The rest of my normal edc that I might have used was in my computer bag in my truck.
Yes the only toilet paper was from the MRE's and it takes skill and experience to use it properly I have it from my days in the military my buddy having never been in or around the military cussed a lot.
We were getting our gear together and were about to leave when help arrived.

Edited by raydarkhorse (01/27/08 01:04 PM)

#121602 - 01/27/08 01:24 PM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: raydarkhorse]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Thanks, especially for the warning about the MRE TP!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#121607 - 01/27/08 01:53 PM Re: Last week I went to help a friend [Re: Blast]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
For those of you less fortunate than I (having been one of Uncle's Lost Children for a couple of decades), let me explain the wonders of MRE toilet paper:

Inside a brown paper sleeve about 15x30mm marked "Lighthouse S.F. CA." (means packed by the blind) reside approximately 24 individual sheets, 100x100mm, of the thinnest mechanically possible toilet paper ever devised by the Devil.

From personal experience, using said packet gives you exactly two swipes about equivalent to 220 grit sandpaper. But, on the plus side, it WAS free (issued).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.