Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#121446 - 01/25/08 05:24 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: GarlyDog]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Don't forget a tool set for DW or GF.

Just kidding ladies....

love it! laugh laugh laugh

#121506 - 01/26/08 03:50 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: bsmith]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
GOOD wirecutters, not those tiny little ones.

A BIG honkin' screwdriver, like 18" long. Sometimes you can find them at garage sales. Two is even better.

Sue

#121510 - 01/26/08 06:27 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: UTAlumnus]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
4 Lb Maul

I'd move on up to a sledge unless this has the same size handle. The short handled versions are knuckle busters for me.

Both would be best. grin

Personal preference with the short handled maul. For most "minor" work its easier to control.

If you are trying to massage something with a 16 or 20lb sledge, you better know what you are doing.

#121513 - 01/26/08 12:19 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: JohnnyUpton]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
The Ten Best Tools of All Time,

1. Duct Tape - Not just a tool, a veritable Swiss Army knife in stickum and plastic. It's safety wire, body material, radiator hose, upholstery, insulation, tow rope, and more - in an easy to carry package. Sure, there's prejudice surrounding duct tape in concours competitions, but in the real world, everything from LeMans-winning Porsches to Atlas rockets use it by the yard. The only thing that can get you out of more scrapes is a cell phone and AAA (See 10).

2. Vise-Grips locking pliers - Equally adept as a wrench, hammer, pliers, baling wire twister, breaker-off of frozen bolts and wiggle-it-till-it-falls-off tool. The heavy artillery of your tool box, locking pliers are the only tool designed expressly to fix things screwed up beyond repair. Can also be used as a very effective thermal conducter that will transfer the heat from welding into the palm of your hand.

3. Spray Lubricants - A considerably cheaper alternative to new doors, alternator, and other squeaky items. Slicker than pig phlegm, repeated soakings will allow the main hull bolts of the Andrea Doria to be removed by hand. Strangely enough, an integral part of these sprays is the infamous Little Red Tube that flies out of the nozzle if you look at it cross eyed (one of the 10 worst tools of all time).

4. Margarine Tubs with Clear Lids - If you spend all your time under the hood looking for a frendle pin that careened off the pertal valve when you knocked both off the air cleaner, it's because you eat butter. Real mechanics consume pounds of tasteless vegetable oil replicas just so they can use the empty tubs for parts containers afterward. (Some of course chuck the butter-colored goo altogether or use it to repack wheel bearings.) Unlike air cleaners and radiator lips, margarine tubs aren't connected by a time/space wormhole to the Parallel Universe of Lost Frendle Pins.

5. Big Rock at the Side of the Road - Block up a tire. Smack corroded battery terminals. Pound out a dent. Bop noisy know-it-all types on the noodle. Scientists have yet to develop a hammer that packs the raw banging power of granite or limestone. This is the only tool with which a "Made in Malaysia" emblem is not synonymous with the user's maiming.

6. Plastic Zip Ties - After 20 years of lashing down stray hose and wiring with old bread ties, some genius brought a slightly slicked-up version to the auto parts market. Fifteen zip ties can transform a hulking mass of amateur- quality wiring from a working model of the Brazilian Rain Forest into something remotely resembling a wiring harness. Of course it works both ways. When buying a used car, subtract $100 for each zip tie under the hood.

7. Ridiculously Large Craftsman Screwdriver - Let's admit it. There's nothing better for prying, chiseling, lifting, breaking, splitting or mutilating than a huge flatbladed screwdriver, particularly when wielded with gusto and a big hammer. This is also the tool of choice for all filters so insanely located that they can only be removed by driving a stake in one side and out the other. If you break the screwdriver--and you will just like Dad and your shop teacher said--who cares, it has a lifetime guarantee.

8. Bailing Wire - Commonly known as MG muffler brackets, bailing wire holds anything that's too hot for tape or ties. Like duct tape, it's not recommended for concours contenders, since it works so well you'll never need to replace it with the right thing again. Bailing wire is a sentimental favorite in some circles, particularly with the MG, Triumph, and flathead Ford set.

9. Bonking Stick- This monstrous tuning fork with devilish pointy ends is technically known as a tie-rod separator, but how often do you separate tie-rod ends? Once every decade if you're lucky. Other than medieval combat, its real use is the all-purpose application of undue force, not unlike that of the huge flat-bladed screwdriver. Nature doesn't know the bent metal panel or frozen exhaust pipe that can stand up to a good bonking stick. (Can also be use to separate tie-rod ends in a pinch, of course, but does a lousy job of it).

10. Cell Phone and AAA

#121515 - 01/26/08 02:57 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: paramedicpete]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

My guide to screwdrivers. This will hook you up for all things requiring a Phillips or Flathead Driver.

5-in-1 Screwdriver Sometimes also marketed as a 4-in-1, this is halfway between a conventional screwdriver and a magnetic bit driver. Magnetic bits always seem to fail to retain their bits at the worst possible moment, but a 5-in-1 (and the Klein is excellent) will handle a large majority of your Phillips and Flathead screw needs.

Husky 8-in-1 Miniature Screwdriver Similiar to the 5-in-1, this little widgey has replaced the older jewelers screwdrivers that seemed to line the bottom of my tool bag.

Those two tools above will handle 99% of your fastener tool needs for less than $20. Keep a set in your drawer, you car, keep 'em handy as you will use them over and over again. Now for the more pricey specialty stuff.

Conventional Screwdriver Assortment As others have mentioned, sometimes, you NEED a regular screwdriver. 99% of the time, these will hang neatly on your bench and the 5-in-1 will do the work, but sometimes you need the reach, strength or thinness of a conventional. I favor Kleins as Cooper Tools (The parent company, also makers of Xcellite tools), uses good steel and the tips of their screwdrivers can take abuse without deforming too much. They are a little more pricey than Craftsman though (though worth it IMHO).

Huge Flat Blade It is better to think of this less of as a screwdriver and more of as a narrow prybar. Make sure you get a brand that has a lifetime guarantee.

Extra-Long No.2 Phillips, Extra Long 3/16 Slotted Sometimes, though rarely, you need that extra reach. Another Bench Queen.

Ratcheting Offset Screwdriver Rarely used, but invaluable when you need it to get into an impossible place. I DON'T favor bits for this style, as they have a larger profile, and you are quite likely to lose the bit in a hard to reach place.

No.2 Phillips Stubby, 3/16 Slotted StubbyA set of stubbies for those that can't be answered by above. Yet another "rainy day" type of tool.

Cordless Electric Screwdriver I DO NOT recommend a cordless driver for metal on metal work (machine screws), as they have a tendency to strip heads, but in softer materials (wood screws), a cordless is a nice time saver. I favor Dewalt in power tools, they really outperform Craftsmen.

Magnetic Pickup For picking up the inevitably dropped screw.

Screw Starter I don't use this as often as I should, but YOU should use one if you are in danger of dropping a screw somewhere you shouldn't.

#121517 - 01/26/08 03:03 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: BrianTexas]
JRJ Offline

I would recommend:

felling axe(great general purpose axe)
hammer
prybar
hack saw
wood saw
mini screwdriver set
screwdriver
phillips screwdriver
linesman pliers
needle nose pliers
wire strippers
voltage meter
puddy knife
channel locks
wrench & socket sets
measuring tape
ruler
square
plunger
C-clamps
razor blades and holder
tapping tool

That's off the top of my head. I would personally recommend KLEIN tools. I have used klein tools in commercial and industrial environments, I have trusted my life to them. You will not find a more durable, tough and functional set of tools anywhere else and they will last you a lifetime.

Good luck

#121535 - 01/26/08 09:34 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: BrianTexas]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Heres a list of some tools that I would not buy again ;

1. Husky hand tools - especially chisels and hand saws
2. Buck hand tools - again , especially chisels and hand saws
3. Craftsman power tools are sort of ok and cheaper than most brands but I don't like them
4. Ryobi power tools - very cheap but like they say , you get what you pay for .

IMO ; Stanley still makes the best handtools for the money . Craftsman has some pretty good handtools especially the wrench's and socket sets

Just my opinion

#121577 - 01/27/08 03:01 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: RayW]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
RayW

LOL!!
grin grin grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#121601 - 01/27/08 01:24 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: JRJ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
JRJ,

Hey, welcome to the fire newguy! Klein tools? Where do you find them?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#121609 - 01/27/08 02:04 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: Blast]
JRJ Offline

Blast,

Thanks for the welcome. You can find klein tools at Home Depot or Lowes - the tools are hidden in the electrical section. Klein tools are made in america from a company thats been around for over 150 years. Check out http://www.kleintools.com/ for more information and to find other locations near you. I cannot say enough great things about this tool company and its products, they really cannot be compared to any other tool manufacturer.

JRJ

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.