Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121418 - 01/25/08 02:10 PM What is this bug that's going around?
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I am still coughing after catching this crud almost two weeks ago. My boss has had it since before Christmas and my friend says he's been coughing since the New Year. Now my wife has it and she is going to be in bad shape as she is on the road for the next week+. Come to find out that the common prescription for the secondary infection is Levequin, with limited results. I asked the doctor who prescribed it for me and he said that the usual antibiotics aren't working on this one. I've also had to take lots of expectorant and he gave me a cough medicine with codeine because I was coughing so hard that my ribs were getting pretty sore.

I've had bronchial infections before, but this is getting irritating.

#121419 - 01/25/08 02:38 PM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Same here. I've been hacking up lung cheese for three weeks. Last night I thought I finally cracked a rib from a coughing fit, luckily I hadn't. It feels like I have a clumps of paste in my lungs. No fever, maybe a little tiredness, occasionally a runny nose...

On the plus side, my coworkers are staying away from me so I've been able to get stuff done.

-Mark
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#121423 - 01/25/08 03:09 PM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: Blast]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I think it is a flesh eating lung disease, but I could be wrong. Sounds like it is time to go (back) to the doctor.

#121424 - 01/25/08 03:20 PM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: GarlyDog]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I've had it for two weeks, and that is a long time for me. Usually I have a cold for a few days then it's gone. This one has been here since early last week. For the last few days, it is felt like it's more my immune systems that needs to calm down than being ill. Still, my throat has produced a few oysters in the sink each day, and my nose is quite productive too. DW was getting something last night, probably the same thing I brought home from the office, and she does not get rid of colds easily.

#121448 - 01/25/08 05:58 PM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: benjammin]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
My girlfriend and I both have it, she got sick first, now me. She feels better now after about a week, I'm getting there.

#121456 - 01/25/08 08:22 PM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: ]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
BigDaddyTX, Way to go on the quitting smoking anniversary.

Edited by GarlyDog (01/25/08 08:23 PM)

#121475 - 01/25/08 10:35 PM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
...snip...
My Dad's 66. Smoker since 15. He's never had a cough in his life. Gets chest X-Rays and fluidic lung scans every year and he's got nothing wrong with him except Asthma from childhood. Amazing, isn't it? Good genes.

God Bless Him - Mom was a 2 pack a day smoke from the time she was in her teen till she was 82. Then she developed a slight cough, and was diagnosed with Stage IIIa non operable lung cancer - we lost her July 31st
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#121476 - 01/25/08 10:52 PM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Yep, I have it also. Got the bug on Boxing Day and am still trying to shake it. No cracked ribs but got black eyes from blowing my nose so hard; thats attractive. I hate being sick.

Mike

#121482 - 01/26/08 12:28 AM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

I just knew as I typed it that someone was going to pick up on that Canadianism....eh!

I have difficulty remembering when Thanksgiving is in the USA as by that time of year Canada is preparing for Halloween and Christmas (in Canada Thanksgiving is in early October).

Mike

#121490 - 01/26/08 01:27 AM Re: What is this bug that's going around? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

O.K., I will try to explain Boxing Day.

According to Wikipedia, "Boxing Day ia a traditional celebration dating back to the Middle Ages of which the primary parctice is the giving of gifts to employees or to people in a lower social class".
Read it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

It is celebrated on December 26th in most Commonwealth Nations including the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. It is a Stat. Holiday in Ontario, maybe all of Canada?

It Canada it has evolved into the busiest bargain shopping day of the year. Quality merchandise is often cut by 50% or more and shopping gets very competitive, with stores packed with people (maybe it is a little like boxing).

My wife and mother both really enjoy Boxing Day and were lined-up at an electronics store at 5.00am this year to be the first through the door at 7.00am. They brought home some great deals, but I no longer have the patience for the crowds.

Outdoor stores that handle the stuff I like often have small sales on this day (10 to 15% off) nothing like the discounts at the big box type stores. It is a way for stores to get rid of unsold Christmas stock.

Sorry for the topic swing, back to the flu bug.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.