Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#121372 - 01/24/08 10:15 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"Cat Training Device" takes me back to the cats as pushsticks thread on the wooddorking ng.

anyway, don't run out and buy a whole load of tools all at once. You'll end up with a bunch of clutter and never be able to find half of them.

buy yourself one or more tool boxes and categorize them. i have one for general around the house work, has my hammer, level, tape measure, etc. then I have another for mechanical type of work, wrenches, socket sets, etc. Its one of those with a few little drawers for each type. It sits on top of a rolling tool cheat which has more specific things like jack stands, compression tester, etc. so if I'm doing basic work around the house i can just grab that box and have everything I need. Automotive work I can roll the whole mechanics type chest to where I need stuff.
I have a lot of wooddorking tools too so i have a nice rolling box for those for when I'm actually doing a nice big project.

look for sales at places like sears for christmas and fathers day, then wait and go the week after. sears espically will have a 21 piece socket set for $29.99 for a fathers day sale. The week after they will clear it out at $19.99 to make room for the new improved 20 piece set for $29.99. I've bought most of my tools that way. A guy I worked with took my suggestion and went in the week after a big sale and pointed to the big 4x4 display hanging above the isle with a huge several piece set of tools strapped to it and saw the shelf below it and told them he wanted that set. they couldn't find any more in stock so they sold him the display and he strapped it to the roof of his little car and drove it back to the office where we proceeded to laugh at a what looked like a billboard on the top of his car until he showed us the $500 price tag and the receipt showing he paid $50 for it.

#121379 - 01/24/08 11:52 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: BrianTexas]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Brian -

Sounds like you're starting pretty much from scratch, with a lot of tool-buying ahead of you.

If you haven't already, consider a trip to Harbor Freight. As you may know, their prices are hard to beat, and an inexpensive way for the beginner to quickly acquire tools. Yes, 99% of their stuff is Made in China (what isn't these days), and some of it I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft. pole. But, even though I have a small fortune invested in Makita, Porter-Cable, Delta, and Dewalt (much of it woodworking), there are certain of their tools that will perform satisfactorily (especially for casual or infrequent use) at a great price. It helps to have some knowledge of what constitutes acceptable vs. unacceptable; maybe take a knowledgeable friend along.

As you discover which tools you use a lot, if any, and learn what qualities you want, then you can spring the big bucks.

#121386 - 01/25/08 01:39 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: BrianTexas]
LED Offline
Veteran

Sears Craftsman hand tools are good general use, affordable tools. Plus, if you break one or wear it down you can get it replaced at Sears for free. (I pretty sure they still do that) They also have bundled tool packs on sale from time to time which are a good deal.

#121388 - 01/25/08 01:48 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: BrianTexas]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Here's my list for basic hand tools for a beginer .
16 oz. curved claw hammer for light/finish work
20oz. , or larger , straight claw hammer for framing or demolition
sledge hammer
tape measure
framing square
combonation square
tool belt and pouches - doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive .
crow bar
flat pry bar
vise grips
adjustible wrench
socket set
screw drivers
nail set
2 hand saws - one for finish cuts & one for rough cuts
hack saw
maybe a coping saw but it takes practice to master it
pipe wrench
utility/razor blade knife
cats paw - for pulling nails
safety glass's
saw horses
work bench - You should make the saw horses and work bench yourself . It will help you to learn how to do things with the tools
some good books on carpentry , plumbing etc.

I might have left something out but this is a good starter list

Power tools are another matter . \
For a beginer I would not buy top of the line power tools but don't get a piece of crap either
The 1st power tools you should get would be a circular saw and a good cordless drill/screwgun . Dewalt makes pretty good , reasonably priced power tools
I would'nt go too nuts buying a bunch of tools right away . Just get some basics and see what you can do . I've seen many garages full of tools that never get used .

Hope this helps

I almost forgot ; A first aid kit , bandaids , tweesers for pulling splinters , some ice for when you smash your thumb with a hammer and a good working knowledge of the proper sware words to use when you make mistakes .

Edited by handyman (01/25/08 02:48 AM)

#121393 - 01/25/08 02:50 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: paramedicpete]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Lots of building/ home repair reference books

#121399 - 01/25/08 03:31 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: teacher]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
A minimum IMO

Hammer
4 Lb Maul
Wonderbar
Wedge

3/8 Drive Socket set (Metric and SAE) w/ extensions
Crescent Wrench
Allen Wrenches (Std & Metric)
Pipe Wrench
Channel Lock Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
Linemans Pliers
Screwdrivers

Wood Saw
Hack Saw w/ metal blades

Cordless Drill
Circular Saw

Voltage Tester

Tool Belt & Tool Box
Safety knife & Blades
Speed Square
Framing Square
2’ Level
Tape Measure
Chalk line
Carpenters Pencil
Paint stick
Sharpie

Torch, Solder, Flux, Brush and cutter

Depending on your financial situation, I’d try and buy either Craftsman (Sears) or Husky (Home Depot) tools. Things like screwdriver sets, socket set, wrench sets are always on sale and not much more that Harbor Freight with the added bonus of being able to return them when you misuse them (Using a screw driver as a pry bar) and they become damaged.

YMMV

#121403 - 01/25/08 03:36 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: JohnnyUpton]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
4 Lb Maul

I'd move on up to a sledge unless this has the same size handle. The short handled versions are knuckle busters for me.

#121410 - 01/25/08 08:10 AM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: UTAlumnus]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Most of the basics have been covered. Buying them slowly and on sale is a great idea. Harbor Freight does have cheap prices, but you often get what you pay for. They do have their place though.

Best advise is to buy a good quality tool instead of a piece of junk. I know I have often struggled with buying something that was cheaper than what I wanted and then ended up buying the one I really wanted later!

For larger tools consider renting them instead. Sears makes good quality hand tools, very suitable for a home owner that uses them infrequently. I don't particularly like Sears for power tools (often only Sears will sell the consumables that fit) or Black&Decker power tools (cheap crap) IMO. Tools can become an obsession (sort of like knives or guns!) if you let it.

One thing to do is to visit various stores to look at and handle the various tools particularly lower priced and higher priced same tools. Gives you a perspective of what the differences are. Make a buying decision after checking out various brands at different price points.

#121429 - 01/25/08 04:10 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Don't forget a tool set for DW or GF.

Just kidding ladies....

Edited by GarlyDog (01/25/08 04:10 PM)

#121434 - 01/25/08 04:34 PM Re: List of tools for everday and emergency use [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Sears for power tools

Unless it's got features other's don't like a goose-neck drill, go with a brand name for power tools. Sears's warranty isn't any better than the big name's on power tools. Back before you could find Home Depot or Lowe's most places, they were the local consumer source for quality, lifetime warranty hand tools.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.