Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#121115 - 01/22/08 10:28 PM Actor Heath Ledger is dead.
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Earlier today actor Heath Ledger was found dead in his home of apparent drug overdose.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01222008/news/regionalnews/heath_ledger_dead_916418.htm

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#121158 - 01/23/08 03:58 AM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: Erik_B]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I still have to wonder why sucess, more money than God, etc, causes "celebrities" to do drugs to the point of overdose. Is there something in their past, DNA, what, that causes that? I can assure you that if I suddenly became rich, I would not suddenly start doing drugs, or even booze, to such an extreme...

#121160 - 01/23/08 04:08 AM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I still have to wonder why sucess, more money than God, etc, causes "celebrities" to do drugs to the point of overdose."

A woman who used to work behind the TV business said that she thinks that the same mental/emotional issues that often drive them to acting are often their downfall. The need for attention, admiration, etc, often makes them unable to handle it when they get it, they fear that it won't last, and have trouble dealing with it on many levels.

It makes as much sense as anything.

Sue

#121189 - 01/23/08 01:11 PM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...they fear that it won't last..."

Nicole Simpson once told me that OJ had that fear, unfortunately he handled it a different way...

#121240 - 01/23/08 09:17 PM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I was thinking about this and how similar the situation is with winning a lottery, esp a big one.

You have the people who are compulsive manic spenders, who think money can buy anything, and once they get their hands on that big money, nothing changes.

Then you have the "normal" people (whatever that is), who grew up knowing the value of money, and what it won't buy. They think before they spend, and live within their means. They tend not to change, either.

Of course, the show business people live in a goldfish bowl, too, and I'm sure that can't make it any easier.

Sue

#121252 - 01/23/08 11:22 PM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...the show business people live in a goldfish bowl..."

Yup, and that is what they want, to be rich and famous. They should know that in todays world you can not be a "celebrity" and not have cameras in your face all the time...

#121272 - 01/24/08 01:47 AM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
sodak Offline
Addict

It is a shame. When I read it, I had to google his name, never heard of him. I don't get out much either....

#121284 - 01/24/08 03:37 AM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: sodak]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I felt it in my craw but couldn;t visualize it.....not until this morning, when one of my favorite radio talk show hosts put it in perspective. I goes something like this:

The media swoons and fawns over the death of a "celebrity".... camping out on his doorstep as if they're first in line to buy tickets for a return of the real Elvis. Why? Heroes are dying in Iraq....volunteers....people who want to accomplish something for the good of their culture. Heroes are dying on American streets.... trying to rid them of scum who would rob, rape, maim, or kill us. Who is a Hollywod "celebrity"? A person who makes millions of dollars a year to pretend.... to play doctor.... to "act" as if they're somebody with a real life... to create an illusion. Why is he treated like a heroe? Whi is a spoiled brat like Brittany Spears, who is out to please no one but herself... fawned over and glamourized? Why do we devote hours and hours of media time to the death of someone who did nothing but create an illusion while the real heroes get a back-page obit in their local town paper?

Are we really buying in to anything more than a man passed away?

#121286 - 01/24/08 03:44 AM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: Stretch]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Stretch

Are we really buying in to anything more than a man passed away?

not me. some guy - along with quite a few other people, probably much more noteworthy in their own right than him - died that day. my condolences to the families of all. i'm moving on.

Edited by bsmith (01/24/08 03:48 AM)

#121288 - 01/24/08 03:48 AM Re: Actor Heath Ledger is dead. [Re: Stretch]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I love it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.