Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121077 - 01/22/08 05:30 PM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: BillLiptak]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
Hmmmmmm.....anybody knows how they compare in size to the mag-lite solitaire?

-Bill Liptak

my solitaire measures 3 3/16".

my ARC-P measures 2 3/4".

Edited by bsmith (01/22/08 05:38 PM)

#121091 - 01/22/08 07:25 PM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: bsmith]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I used to really like my ARC-AAA. But then it crapped out on me. Went into a really annoying flicker mode. Replacing battery, cleaning contacts, crimping the head did not work. I gave up on it. My wife managed to drop hers, which should not have been a problem, but somehow the barrel got bent and the head became almost impossible to turn.

I am now EDC'ing a Gerber Tempo single AAA light. It's a bit bigger than the ARC, and had my ARCs continued working I would have liked them better than the Tempo. The Tempo can be operated one-hand whereas the ARCs couldn't be.

I really liked the ARCs. But in my limited experience, they cost too much for what they actually delivered (for me).

#121100 - 01/22/08 07:41 PM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Looks like it may be too short for me, just I'll just get the one for the misses....for now. See if it will work for the pouch with minimal alterations before I commit. Thanks a million bsmith. That's what I like about all you fine people, founts of untapped knowledge and always willing to share. Peace.

-Bill Liptak

#121108 - 01/22/08 08:20 PM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: haertig]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
haertig -

Have you tried to get at least yours replaced or repaired under ARC's lifetime warranty? Considering you took all the right steps to remedy the flicker, to no avail, in my view that falls under the heading of "defect." And considering the (usually) well-deserved reputation for being bulletproof, a "simple" drop shouldn't have damaged your wife's like you describe.

I had a modest under-warranty repair done on one of my two, with no hassles or arguments.

#121164 - 01/23/08 04:18 AM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: xbanker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: xbanker
Have you tried to get at least yours replaced or repaired under ARC's lifetime warranty?
I thought ARC went out of business, then rose from the ashes, but now wouldn't honor warrantees from earlier purchases. I thought I read this somewhere (Candlepowerforums perhaps), so I didn't even try for a warrantee repair. Am I mistaken?

#121298 - 01/24/08 08:22 AM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: haertig]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I should've asked if yours were from the "original" company. That notwithstanding, from a post by Peter Gransee on CPF:

"My new patron has agreed to provide limited service on lights my now defunct company had made. If the service requires a replacement of a part and the part is for a light we don't make, we don't have the part. In that case, we can offer people a store credit. I hope people can see that this is a very very generous offer on the part of my employers.

Send me an email please peter@arcflashlight.com (to initiate service)."

Since the "new" ARC still makes the AAA version, I would think your odds of a repair/them having a part are fairly good. Granted, there was a version change at some point, but I was under the impression changes, other than upgrading to the newer/brighter Nichia LED, were mostly cosmetic, e.g. slight taper to the head and stainless steel battery contacts. Certainly nothing to lose by sending him an inquiry.

Good luck!

#121367 - 01/24/08 09:44 PM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: xbanker]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I've carried a AAA-P on my keychain for almost two years now. Except for one scratch that somehow happened when I dropped it the first week I had it, it barely shows any wear.

I picked it over something like the brighter Fenix AAA lights for the battery life, but with my typical usage of the Arc light, I'm not even using a battery a year. So I'm considering a Fenix instead. (I have a AA Cree Fenix but it's a little big for keychain carry).

#124175 - 02/18/08 02:28 AM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: CJK]
JRJ Offline

Ive had my ARC-AAA Premium for a couple days and all I can say is WOW. This tiny flashlight is unbelievable. I initially turned the light on with the bulb pointing towards my face and nearly blinded myself. It was hard to imagine that the arc-aaa premium (smaller then my pinky finger) was so powerful.

I wanted to bump this thread because arc flashlights has a new Arc-AAA Premium w/GS LED.

The GS LED version is actually brighter then the original premium, 10.5 lumens compared to 9 lumens. I only wish It had come out a before I purchased mine. As soon as I can I'll be picking up the new one and keeping my just purchased premium in my BOB.

-JRJ

#124215 - 02/18/08 01:55 PM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: JRJ]
dd61999 Offline
Stranger

I love my Arc, It should be the official light of this website. It has a proven track record of durability. Here is one that survived 5 years in a river and still works.

here is one that fell from a mountain

They are small enough to mount on the shoulder strap of my back pack (camelbak mule)

I used to be a big fan of the photon but I ran into problems with them because they were not waterproof and replacing batteries was a pain. The batteries where also expensive if I could even find them when traveling.

Edited by dd61999 (02/18/08 08:12 PM)

#124265 - 02/18/08 08:06 PM Re: My new aquisition ARC AAA [Re: dd61999]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I've got the DS Premium - picked it up a couple months ago (one for a gift, and one for me). It's fantastic. Has great light output and it seems built to take a beating. It replaces a Coast light that was "okay" which I used mainly for the form factor. It used 4 button cell batteries though, so I didn't like it for EDC. The new Arc fits in my EDC Leatherman TTi case (in the side pouch that fits it perfectly as did the Coast light).

I'm considering getting a second one to keep in my pocket with my other gear. I see they have the new GS-LEDs for $50. Would it be pointless to get that vs. waiting for the new LS model or is that something completely different? Also, has anyone tried the 14500 Lithium batteries in this thing to see the output at 3.6v? :-) I don't want to wreck mine or break the warranty, so I thought I'd ask.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 428 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.